Here's a nice new scam

brucegoniners

On 6/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, HighPriority said:

I recieved an email from “wise” yesterday advising me that my account had been blocked until I verified my information…

I forwarded it to wise because to my mind they’ve either been hacked or the scammer got lucky and sent his email to an actual wise customer… I’ve heard crickets back from wise, very disappointed in that…

I use Wise but the last time was a month ago and I haven't received any notifications from them. Maybe try to do a small transfer with them to see if it's legit, at least up to the transfer funds from your bank account part, and check if the Wise a/c details arer the same as your previous transfers

19 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Wise are not Citicorp, I’d have thought wise are a global minnow, so for a scammer to target them and my email address being in their mail out batch yes, I’d say they got lucky.

Still don´t get it, do you? They target so many, that they of course will find some users. That it was you is not lucky. That is just random.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, misterphil said:

Never click on any of these links. Once clicked on scammers can access your phones camera and see you. They can also read your screen and see what you are looking at. They can see you type in passwords etc. I know this first hand as in the past I received an email asking for money to be paid by Bitcoin. They knew my password for some accounts too. They weren't shy about how they got my password and explained which site Id clicked on and how they accessed my phone and read when I entered a password. Luckily that password was for non financial sites. 

I never even open what I know is trash from looking at the header and sender. Also I never open ANY links in ANY email unless I can verify it.

My reasoning is that I can't rely on myself to be able to identify all the new and evermore subtle scams that are appearing. If the message is legitimate they find another way to contact me.

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Still don´t get it, do you? They target so many, that they of course will find some users. That it was you is not lucky. That is just random.

Trust me, I get it… ????

My point is that they used a very small global fish and hit me as well.

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Trust me, I get it… ????

My point is that they used a very small global fish and hit me as well.

Small or not small, they live on quantity and not value. Also, you never get hit if you do not fall for it.

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:11 PM, emeraldruby said:

Local police? I'm from London  no such thing as local  police and no such service. If there was an emergency  at home friends or family would contact  me. The police  would  never  phone anyway for reasons  of impersonation  and security. 

also data protection act !!

A few years ago my wife got a phone call from some one that I immediate called a Scammer, claimed that she has won a new Android Phone, I believe it was a Huawei. She only needed to pay the governmental taxes for it. I called it a scam and told her not to bother about it. She went to our phone number provider TRUE, and payed some tax and got  the Phone. I was so surprised. We sold it directly to some friends since we don't use Androids. So not everything is scams.

On 6/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, Stefanix said:

I tried the link. After verification if I am human, I got the following: "503 Service Unavailable". Already taken down or not very professional. Just clicking the link is not that dangerous (if at all). ...

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.

I seem to be maintaining a cellular phone number solely for scammers and dodgy pension salesmen.

I can now hit End Call and Block Number before they get to the 5th word in thier script.

"Hello, am I speaking to .... click"

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 6:09 PM, KhunLA said:

Probably that new iPhone you won.   Think I got about 50 of them, waiting for me to pay that $1 shipping.

Once when travelling back from Bangkok the phone rang, as I was driving I handed it to my wife who listened then passed it her sister, apparently I'd won a free Nokia and they were needing delivery details. It arrived the following day and nothing to pay either, a brand new model, so not all are scams. One of the best phones I've ever owned.

4 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Once when travelling back from Bangkok the phone rang, as I was driving I handed it to my wife who listened then passed it her sister, apparently I'd won a free Nokia and they were needing delivery details. It arrived the following day and nothing to pay either, a brand new model, so not all are scams. One of the best phones I've ever owned.

But did they ask you to pay shipping ?  

Someone tells me I won something and wants an address, then no prob.

Someone tells me I won something, when I didn't enter anything, then wants me to pay shipping ... yea ... that a problem.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1