Thailand sees rise in severe COVID-19 cases after easing of restrictions

snoop1130

8 hours ago, WinterGael said:

That said, it is known that the mRNA vaccines are causing cardiac issues.

only in very rare cases and you do know there are two type of myocarditis, right? And that mRNA causes the mild kind (in very rare cases) which you can fully recover from.

The myocarditis association reported on this and did a study on it - they conclude that the risk of heart problem from the virus outweighs any risk from the vaccine - so get vaccinated. 

And you keep making claims with no evidence - just hearsay and  anecdotal evidence.  Are you talking about people who get frequent and unnecessary booster shots? You know the doesn't invalidate vaccines - it just means don't misuse them. That is the same for any drug or medical procedure. Sounds like you are grasping at straws. 

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

only in very rare cases and you do know there are two type of myocarditis, right? And that mRNA causes the mild kind (in very rare cases) which you can fully recover from.

The myocarditis association reported on this and did a study on it - they conclude that the risk of heart problem from the virus outweighs any risk from the vaccine - so get vaccinated. 

And you keep making claims with no evidence - just hearsay and  anecdotal evidence.  Are you talking about people who get frequent and unnecessary booster shots? You know the doesn't invalidate vaccines - it just means don't misuse them. That is the same for any drug or medical procedure. Sounds like you are grasping at straws. 

I'm not on here to quote every journal and printed report.  If I were, you couldn't make an uniformed, wishful thinking, mainstream approved comment like this.  I have friends in healthcare as I used towirk in a hospital lab.  You ain't hear nothing yet...

On 6/30/2022 at 6:38 PM, Jingthing said:

Why the rush to lose the masks?

There is no rush at all. In the malls and shops I visit, most customers are masked. Even outside and on motorcycles, most people are wearing them. I started putting mine on again in the shops as I felt I stood out too much by not wearing one.

12 hours ago, JensenZ said:

There is no rush at all. In the malls and shops I visit, most customers are masked. Even outside and on motorcycles, most people are wearing them. I started putting mine on again in the shops as I felt I stood out too much by not wearing one.

Where is this? Bangkok perhaps? Not the case in Pattaya where many Westerners aren't bothering, but most Thais are. I agree that if people around you are masked, it shows consideration to do similar. 

In Central Festival Phuket yesterday, the only people not wearing masks were a handful of (western) foreigners who were getting some dirty looks. 

I've had covid twice, once very badly, and the other (post-vaccination) a <deleted>ty flu. My partner is the same. I don't care to go through a repeat performance, and if I can spare myself or someone else from that, happy to wear a mask where it's sensible. I have more Asian friends than western, and they are all adamant about masks. I'm ok to meet the general expectation.

I'm as sick of this as the next person, but my feelings don't seem to be having much impact on covid. I am a little concerned about am upcoming business trip to the US, but that's life for a good while yet.

• Like 2

Yes, I was just in Bangkok people are wearing masks.  But, what is the point everyone takes them off in crowded restaurants, coffee shops, ice cream shops etc.  1000ś of people in the major malls Siam and Central World especially crowded.  Talking, coughing, sneezing, etc.

I am not anti mask and I wear one,  but it all seems kind of dumb and almost hypocritical to keep pushing the issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, I was just in Bangkok people are wearing masks.  But, what is the point everyone takes them off in crowded restaurants, coffee shops, ice cream shops etc.  1000ś of people in the major malls Siam and Central World especially crowded.  Talking, coughing, sneezing, etc.

I am not anti mask and I wear one,  but it all seems kind of dumb and almost hypocritical to keep pushing the issue.

Seems and being dumb as you say is far from how many people, outside of foreigners, actualy feel about wearing a mask.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Seems and being dumb as you say is far from how many people, outside of foreigners, actualy feel about wearing a mask.

The results of mask wearing and their effectiveness speak really do speak for themselves.   Just imagine what would have happened if Thailand didn't implement mask mandates previously - they could have had an explosion of covid cases and experienced tens of thousands of cases a day!

Praise be to the mask overlords who insisted I wore my mask on the beach, on my motorbike and in the park, but allowed me to remove it as soon as I got into an indoor crowded bar or restaurant.   Who knows how many deaths I could have caused if not for this kind of sensible policy making.   It's just basic common sense and anyone who thinks I was not saving lives by wearing a mask on a beach is clearly a mask-denier and should be labelled as such.   

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, WinterGael said:

I'm not on here to quote every journal and printed report.  If I were, you couldn't make an uniformed, wishful thinking, mainstream approved comment like this.  I have friends in healthcare as I used towirk in a hospital lab.  You ain't hear nothing yet...

Sure, who needs evidence when you have stories and "you know people" - let's be honest, you are too scared to actually come out with any hardcore anti-vax nonsense, so you have been weaseling your words. Oh, and where are we going to hear this? A FB post or YouTube? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Where is this? Bangkok perhaps? Not the case in Pattaya where many Westerners aren't bothering, but most Thais are. I agree that if people around you are masked, it shows consideration to do similar. 

It's in Pattaya. In fact I was astounded to note that most people were still wearing masks after the mandate ended. 

Going into details, in Central Mall, and Terminal 21 you would have had to look very hard to find anyone other than myself without a mask, and when you did spot one, it was a foreigner. Same for Friendship and all 7Elevens I've visited in the last 2 weeks. I felt uncomfortable being the only person not wearing a mask and in some places made the decision to put it back on as I carry one in my pocket.

Maybe in the bar areas most people aren't wearing them. I saw most people were not wearing masks for months now in beer bars, so that's nothing new - both Thai staff and customers. I was quite surprised to see the number of Thai people on motorcycles still wearing them.

Edited by JensenZ

Just read an article in the BP, it appears the Government will be telling the Bangkok governor to institute restrictions in BKK due to the rising cases. Going to upset a few foreigners who post on here about their freedom to do what they want.

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just read an article in the BP, it appears the Government will be telling the Bangkok governor to institute restrictions in BKK due to the rising cases. Going to upset a few foreigners who post on here about their freedom to do what they want.

What restrictions?  Surely, not returning to lockdowns and school closures?

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What restrictions?  Surely, not returning to lockdowns and school closures?

Restrictions such as reductions in number of outside events, reductions in the numbers allowed into locations and so on. Yet the full moon parties will still be allowed to go on. Seems they are concerned for Bangkok but not elsewhere. We shall wait and see what other restrictions they may put In place.  Many of the private places and malls have already put masking and temperature scanning back in place. My condo reversed course and it is now mandatory to wear a mask in the common Areas once again as well as checking your temp by the scanner.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:34 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Just watched the evening news and they interviewed a few doctors who said that even though Jul 1 brings in a reduction in restrictions and masks only need to be worn in specific areas, they are recommending wearing the masks and keeping the proper distances from others....They also stated that if your feeling out of sorts, well my words, to stay home and test.  You can not make this stuff up.  Common sense is needed by all.

Thailand,      wrong country for common sense

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 1:23 AM, PremiumLane said:

Citation needed for that one  - I looked and there was only 4 cases and all not serious. 

And how do you know the media are not reporting? Citation for the 9400 cases and compensation.

And the doctor said 'maybe' - well it must be the vaccine then 

Here's your citation: 47 ‘adverse events’ reported out of more than 104,000 doses of Sinovac vaccine: HSA - TODAY (todayonline.com)

"There were some 9,400 suspected adverse events reports linked to the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines as of July 31"

And yeah - because I never had cardiac issues before the booster and they have since gone away - that 'maybe' from the GP is good enough for me. And remember, we're not talking just a subjective feeling here... I had multiple readings (with photos and video taken) over some weeks with that government-provided monitor. Now it reads only normal. But since you're a physician, what's your hypothesis? 

Regarding masks: there's no doubt N95 masks work, but the paper/cloth type commonly seen probably do very little against Covid19 imo.  Still, I wear one as it makes me feel better, and I do think they help with allergy prevention.  More importantly, they could signify that here is a person who cares about his and other peoples' welfare.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 11:19 AM, JensenZ said:

It's in Pattaya. In fact I was astounded to note that most people were still wearing masks after the mandate ended. 

Going into details, in Central Mall, and Terminal 21 you would have had to look very hard to find anyone other than myself without a mask, and when you did spot one, it was a foreigner. Same for Friendship and all 7Elevens I've visited in the last 2 weeks. I felt uncomfortable being the only person not wearing a mask and in some places made the decision to put it back on as I carry one in my pocket.

Maybe in the bar areas most people aren't wearing them. I saw most people were not wearing masks for months now in beer bars, so that's nothing new - both Thai staff and customers. I was quite surprised to see the number of Thai people on motorcycles still wearing them.

As long as I read things like this from on the ground I will just avoid Thailand. Masking has gone here ages ago and I am not willing to go back in time to some zombie society. I guess we're talking years before the masking goes away in Thailand and the like.

23 hours ago, rabang said:

As long as I read things like this from on the ground I will just avoid Thailand. Masking has gone here ages ago and I am not willing to go back in time to some zombie society. I guess we're talking years before the masking goes away in Thailand and the like.

I'm planning on returning in December or January as long as the law  doesn't require me to wear a mask. If it changes, then I agree with you, otherwise I couldn't care less what others do - I'll obey the law and NOT wear one just as I do in UK.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, VBF said:

I'm planning on returning in December or January as long as the law  doesn't require me to wear a mask. If it changes, then I agree with you, otherwise I couldn't care less what others do - I'll obey the law and NOT wear one just as I do in UK.

You're probably right and I might be overthinking it. My concern is that many private businesses and such could still require masking and it is easier to give mandates if it is de facto norm anyway despite the law. Of course western tourists most likely won't generally be wearing a mask if the law doesn't require.

• Like 1