Thailand sees rise in severe COVID-19 cases after easing of restrictions

snoop1130

On 7/1/2022 at 9:29 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Get over what? Oh the choice to wear a mask if one wants. Got it. Tonight we went to a nice restaurant. The mater de required a mask be worn to be let in and be seated, only after being seated could you remove the mask, and if you needed to use the restroom you heeded to mask back up as you walked to it and used it. The tables were also spaced out appropriately for reasons. The wait staff all wore masks as well.  Sure the cooks were wearing them as well. Wonderful meal and good service.  No one complaining about having to wear a mask either.  Walked outside and removed the masks..... 

Glad you enjoyed your meal.  Of course all the countries that have dropped the masks have the same rates of infection, and they are all trending together.  Masked or not it makes no difference now.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:01 PM, mikeymike100 said:

"Wearing a mask isn't normal."

Totally agree with your sentiment, however for some folks especially in  Asia they think wearing a mask is normal.

It was always normal for 0.X% paranoid ppl but now it's OK for 90+% 

And that sucks!
"he clasped her arm"
Edited by ViajeroLA

On 7/1/2022 at 7:53 AM, BritManToo said:

All of my family have had COVID, none of them have developed 'serious symptoms' then or after. The symptoms they had at the time were no worse than regular flu.

Like I said, not paying attention to the news.  Symptoms may be similar to the flu, but this is definitely not the flu.  Last I read the UK alone is dealing with almost 900,000 cases of long COVID, with the associated health risks, loss of employment, etc.  Even asymptomatic patients have been having associated health issues months after recovering. 

As reports out of UK state, learning to live with this will not be easy as it is still having a huge health and economic impact on people.  Think about Lufthansa alone, 2200 flights cancelled in June because of not having the staff due to COVID to operate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, Kaopad999 said:

I also contracted Covid 2 months ago, and i have to say, i have had flu which was quite a bit worse than Covid. 
The majority of the people who suffer with 'serious symptoms'  are likely those who choose an extremely unhealthy lifestyle & diet.

and also the ones who want a booster every month and for everyone else to be locked down

Lately I have not lost any family members to COVID, but they have all told me that it is like getting the flu first followed by a head cold,

and lasted at least a week. I had both symptoms, followed by bronchitis, so 3 weeks of health were wiped out by the experience.

With less people dying from COVID, the high numbers just mean that people are not working, so I guess that is okay.

Life goes on for the lucky ones who have not caught COVID lately. I have to wonder just how many people have died from this disease

in some countries like China, etc.,  who will lie to save their faces.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:12 PM, PremiumLane said:

How are you sure it was the vaccine and you think they just blindly go, 'Hey, let's hope for the best and see how it goes' when rolling out new vaccines?

Singapore GP said it was the likely cause given the symptoms and timing. I also have video showing my my government-provided heart/oxygen monitor skipping beats (and multiple readouts over weeks indicating irregular beats)... see below.  That only started a couple of days after the booster. Up to July 31, 2021, there were 9,400 post-vaccine adverse events in Singapore... and these are only reported cases. People receive from S$2,000 to S$250,000 compensation from the government for confirmed adverse events. They've stopped reporting the number of adverse events in the media this year. BTW, I did not apply for compensation.     

PXL_20211205_144631562.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, WinterGael said:

Think about Lufthansa alone, 2200 flights cancelled in June because of not having the staff due to COVID to operate.

Surely it is not that that these staff are all off sick now due to Covid, more to do with the lack of staff qualified to do the job, as, like many other countries, staff were laid off during the height of the Covid pandemic, due to there being little International  travel. 

So not solely a factor of current Covid infections. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surely it is not that that these staff are all off sick now due to Covid, more to do with the lack of staff qualified to do the job, as, like many other countries, staff were laid off during the height of the Covid pandemic, due to there being little International  travel. 

I hope you have been paying attention to the numbers of cases world wide. The west has moved on but cases have been rising to high numbers again. The WHO  came out and said folks need to be aware this is still a pandemic no matter what folks think. It's called covid fatigue and everyone is moving on because they are tired of it, yet it still is a bigger issue than many think.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

I hope you have been paying attention to the numbers of cases world wide. The west has moved on but cases have been rising to high numbers again. The WHO  came out and said folks need to be aware this is still a pandemic no matter what folks think. It's called covid fatigue and everyone is moving on because they are tired of it, yet it still is a bigger issue than many think.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The concern now I believe is the many unvaccinated Countries where infection numbers can get high and there is potential to create more new variants.... Thailand has one such place as a neighbour and imports a lot of workers from there. I am concerned it is not over, like you I believe. But the post you replied to concerned Germany. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yep, a chaos theory in practice. Who knows what more will follow from those restrictions. Some effects might not be visible until years from now.

Edited by rabang
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rabang said:

Do you know what shows that the pandemic is over? When all the authorities and panicky Peters and Pamelas need to constantly remind everyone that the pandemic is not over.

Then ignore all of the MSM, the other alt left media and anything Covid related including the forums herein if it bothers you so much that you need to call people names.  Alas, Covid will be with us for a long time, and surely we can agree to disagree like when folks argued about the other viruses and even the flu strains that circled the globe, and the pneumonia and the dengue fever.  It is never a bad thing to have such discussions and keep folks informed, or do you consider it fearmongering and such....

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Then ignore all of the MSM, the other alt left media and anything Covid related including the forums herein if it bothers you so much that you need to call people names.  Alas, Covid will be with us for a long time, and surely we can agree to disagree like when folks argued about the other viruses and even the flu strains that circled the globe, and the pneumonia and the dengue fever.  It is never a bad thing to have such discussions and keep folks informed, or do you consider it fearmongering and such....

Personally I feel it is over for me as it does not affect my life in any meaningful way anymore. With the media stuff I take it the same as horoscope: ignore.

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

@jacko45k you remind me of Piers Morgan... you always want to take the opposing view to start an argument. 

On 7/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, Docno said:

Singapore GP said it was the likely cause given the symptoms and timing. I also have video showing my my government-provided heart/oxygen monitor skipping beats (and multiple readouts over weeks indicating irregular beats)... see below.  That only started a couple of days after the booster. Up to July 31, 2021, there were 9,400 post-vaccine adverse events in Singapore... and these are only reported cases. People receive from S$2,000 to S$250,000 compensation from the government for confirmed adverse events. They've stopped reporting the number of adverse events in the media this year. BTW, I did not apply for compensation.     

PXL_20211205_144631562.jpg

Citation needed for that one  - I looked and there was only 4 cases and all not serious. 

And how do you know the media are not reporting? Citation for the 9400 cases and compensation.

And the doctor said 'maybe' - well it must be the vaccine then 

Edited by PremiumLane

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The news stated that the cancellations were due to employee absence due to the spike in employees having COVID; ie. too many sick at the same time.  They do notbhave the staff to replace them. Not because of lack of training.

18 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

The news stated that the cancellations were due to employee absence due to the spike in employees having COVID; ie. too many sick at the same time.  They do notbhave the staff to replace them. Not because of lack of training.

In the UK it was blamed on the inability to get staff as the vetting/security  process took time... and many had been laid off.... but yes a spike in infections certainly would not help. Heathrow has put a cap on passengers. 

14 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Citation needed for that one  - I looked and there was only 4 cases and all not serious. 

And how do you know the media are not reporting? Citation for the 9400 cases and compensation.

And the doctor said 'maybe' - well it must be the vaccine then 

Live in Thailand, but used to work in healthcare in home country, so still have lots of friends working in hospitals there.  From the news, I see very few reported cases of adverse vaccine reactions.  That does not reflect the cases seen in the healthcare system where they are almost regular.  That said, it is known that the mRNA vaccines are causing cardiac issues.  Also, there are reports out of Europe that said vaccines are causing issues with our immune systems such that while gaining some protection from COVID, our bodies won't be able to deal as they once did with other infections.  This is interesting in that excess deaths are being reported that are not caused by COVID.  

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, WinterGael said:

People were laid off during the early covid times 2 years ago and people can not be recruited fast enough. There are no masses of employees being sick simultaneously.

2 minutes ago, rabang said:

People were laid off during the early covid times 2 years ago and people can not be recruited fast enough. There are no masses of employees being sick simultaneously.

Of course the issue with the baggage handlers is as you state, many were laid off and yet why have they not been rehired under the plan laid out by Chancellor Rishi Sunak's job retention scheme, under which a government grant will help to cover the wages of employees who have to be put on furlough.

Yet covid cases are on the rise in the UK:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-cases-rising-uk-omicron-ba-5-b2123964.html

Covid cases rise to 3.5 million in the UK, figures show

Figures from Office for National Statistics show 29 per cent rise in infections

Samuel Lovett

Senior News Correspondent
3 hours ago

Covid infections in the UK are continuing to rise, reaching 3.5 million last week, the latest figure show. This marks a jump of nearly 800,000 (or 29 per cent) on the previous week, ending 30 June, when 2.7 million people were estimated to have been infected with Covid-19.

• Thanks 1