Thailand sees rise in severe COVID-19 cases after easing of restrictions

snoop1130

A post with a video from an unapproved YouTube source has been removed. 

18. Social media content is acceptable in most forums. However in factual areas such as but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency, and must include a link to the original source. In some circumstances a moderator may relax this rule and this will be determined on a case by case basis. If this rule is relaxed a moderator will post a public notice explaining the limit and scope of the relaxation.

Just now, rabang said:

All that the pandemic restrictions have caused is the current chaotic state of affairs. These issues will most likely lead to more misery than the virus could have.

Yeah, Russia invaded Ukraine all because of Covid!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

98/100 people are still wearing masks. Even when in the car alone or if nobody is around in a circle of 500 meters.
So it can only be caused by open bars and karaokes or foreigners.
Close and bann them forever !
(Joke in the morning)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WinterGael said:

In a couple of polls, the majority of Thais stated they were not ready to have mask mandates dropped.  This was done to appease tourists.

Well the Thais can keep wearing their masks, no one is stopping them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

All of my family have had COVID, none of them have developed 'serious symptoms' then or after. The symptoms they had at the time were no worse than regular flu.

and your point is....?   ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RichardL said:

It was always going to though. That's kind of how these things work. Weaker (in terms of impact) viruses spread more easily. 

Unfortunately many still panic about case numbers, even the the fatality rate has diminished massively. Covid's fatality rate is no longer at a level that warrants emergency measures. It really is barely worse than regular flu now, and should be treated as such.

That's unless it mutates into one that's worse than Omicron 1 through 2.  Think Delta. 

Definitely good to be awares.

The Flu is nothing to sneeze at.  It's wise to get vaccinated for that also, especially if you are over 60 or have other related health problems.

I've caught COVID, Omicron and for myself it was extremely mild. The times of closing borders is over for now. 

Edited by MrJ2U

People were very naive if they thought Covid would disappear!  It will remain a threat, just like any other infectious disease, for the foreseeable future.  The point is that now there is a better understanding of it and we have effective vaccinations and even treatments.  The days of lockdowns and mask mandates are OVER (except maybe in China with their ridiculous zero-Covid policy!).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He hasn't had to bury any family members and hence concludes that Covid is over-hyped conspiracy that can harm no one.....very dumb isn't it!

Thanks for clarification. I agree with you! There is a solid percentage in the world which will deny the seriousness of Covid and necessity of vaccination.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I understand why people are so eager to stop wearing masks, especially here in Thailand where smiling is such an important part of social interaction, and mask wearing makes it so difficult to communicate across a language barrier.  I am too.

But out of deference to our Thai hosts, I think we should continue wearing them until it is abundantly clear that the pandemic is behind us, and that day is not yet here, despite wishful thinking by some that it is.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rabang said:

Yes, that is called a personal decision. You can isolate yourself if you want to, just don't expect others to do the same.

Yes!  If I get it right " but if personal decision is the reason to wear why doesn't it work both ways personal choice is not only one doesn't want to wear a mask it is also a personal choice of someone who wants to wear it?

I've not said an individual must isolate themselves that comes from you not me and I've certainly not said others to do the same!

My post merely suggest living with it which means it hasn't gone away completely?  Right? so if it is your choice not to knock yourself out like everything take responsibility if it doesn't go right and if nothing happens I'm happy for you and everyone who doesn't want to wear one. But give others the same right to choice!

But until it is gone to a point I feel it is safe I will continue to do what has protected me and my Thai family for two plus years wear a mask whenever needed, use alcohol, and wash my hands whenever possible to not get infected and go on with my daily life which hasn't even come close to isolating myself. Personally, aside from wearing my mask I've not changed any of my habits since Covid hit and that is how I've been living with it!

Edited by thailand49

26 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I understand why people are so eager to stop wearing masks, especially here in Thailand where smiling is such an important part of social interaction, and mask wearing makes it so difficult to communicate across a language barrier.  I am too.

But out of deference to our Thai hosts, I think we should continue wearing them until it is abundantly clear that the pandemic is behind us, and that day is not yet here, despite wishful thinking by some that it is.

True

Now how will they do it?
Smiling all the way to "your" bank account.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WinterGael said:

In a couple of polls, the majority of Thais stated they were not ready to have mask mandates dropped.  This was done to appease tourists.

Good point.