Thailand sees rise in severe COVID-19 cases after easing of restrictions

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Docno said:

Have had the booster and caught covid 3 months later. Covid was a non-event. The booster, however, caused me to have extended cardiac issues (which have since subsided, thankfully)... so who really knows if the vaccine (also?) causes long term health issues?

How are you sure it was the vaccine and you think they just blindly go, 'Hey, let's hope for the best and see how it goes' when rolling out new vaccines?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:
4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think his point is that the current covid strain is no worse than having the flu.

Said who? You're not a doctor for sure. Otherwise you would not post such nonsense ????

Said everyone who has commented on the most recent strains. Perhaps you don't read or listen to the news. If you did you wouldn't post such nonsense.

You obviously also haven't noticed that, while in the past ICU wards were filled to overflowing and many thousands around the world were dying every day, there are very few fatalities now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

stating that the number of daily infections is still increasing.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

that it would be better if the announcement of the virus being endemic was postponed

That doctor should go back to university!

What else do we have in Thailand than “the constant presence and/or usual prevalence of a disease or infectious agent in a population within a geographic area.” ?

1) the virus won’t get away - forget Zero-Covid !
2) and infection rates will vary - compare the endemical Influenza virus, which 2017/18 in Europe cost alone 24,000 Germans their life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All of my family have had COVID, none of them have developed 'serious symptoms' then or after. The symptoms they had at the time were no worse than regular flu.

As I recall, when you've been pressed on this point by other members in past threads, you ended up admitting that those family members had never actually been tested positive for COVID, and instead, it was you presuming that's what they had.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

"Wearing a mask isn't normal."

Totally agree with your sentiment, however for some folks especially in  Asia they think wearing a mask is normal.

Some. Yes. Agreed.

8 hours ago, RichardL said:

It was always going to though. That's kind of how these things work. Weaker (in terms of impact) viruses spread more easily. 

Unfortunately many still panic about case numbers, even the the fatality rate has diminished massively. Covid's fatality rate is no longer at a level that warrants emergency measures.

Exactly! Once people are vaccinated, it's just another virus running around the world, generally an inconvenience rather than a fatal disease. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem as I see it with the current COVID situation is it's a bit like spinning the roulette wheel.

You MIGHT get thru it with minor symptoms and no noticeable lingering after effects....

But you also MIGHT come down with serious complications on the front end and/or serious long-term COVID issues...which the experts are still struggling to fully understand and assess.

And, the risk of poor outcomes increases as you get older, and if you aren't up-to-date with vaccinations.  But unfortunately, there's no sure way to know ahead of time where you might end up, if you come down with COVID.

For those reasons above, I continue to wear my N95 masks when around others, continue to practice social distancing and avoid unnecessary contacts, and keep up to date with my vaccinations and boosters, as allowed.

Don't wanna spin the COVID roulette wheel and come up BAD!

As is your prerogative as a rational thinking human being. And now, at least IMO it seems  the worst has passed, should not the same courtesy be extended to people who do not wish to wear one?

Believe me if I caught covid I would still isolate, still take all necessary precautions and wear a mask until I put up a negative RAT. I just don't believe at this stage I need to be wearing a mask all the time.

Like on a plane for example they have been telling us for a long time that facing forward lessens the risk, that the hepa filters are the best and fresh air is recycled through the cabin every 6 minutes or so and that your chances of getting covid on a plane are actually very slim. Now, and playing devils advocate here if all that is entirely true why do we need to wear masks on planes. Either the above statements are true or they are not. Since the get go there has been a lot of conflicting theories and this continues to be so.

https://www.iata.org/en/youandiata/travelers/health/low-risk-transmission/

Edited by starky
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I don't even know what that means anymore. Each new variant—we're informed—is more transmissible than the last. A while back, I read that measles is one of the most contagious human diseases. And then the "experts" told us a couple of variants ago that COVID had become as infectious as the measles. Yet still, we're told that each new variant is more contagious than the last. 

My point is this; where's the cap on transmissibility? When will it be so infectious that it can't possibly get any more contagious? These headlines make no sense at all. But I bet my bottom dollar the next headline for the next new variant will also read:

WARNING! NEW COVID STRAIN IS X TIMES MORE TRANSMISSIBLE THAN…. 

Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

No your not. But there's no need to shout. ????????????

59 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As I recall, when you've been pressed on this point by other members in past threads, you ended up admitting that those family members had never actually been tested positive for COVID, and instead, it was you presuming that's what they had.

No, if you recalled correctly I said I have never been tested (too risky for a foreigner IMHO).

My family tested themselves with the kits, and were positive.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Because you failed to pay attention is why....

No, I don't believe that's the reason.

It's much more likely that wearing a mask in this region of the world isn't normal and hasn't been seen often before Covid.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Thujone said:

No, I don't believe that's the reason.

It's much more likely that wearing a mask in this region of the world isn't normal and hasn't been seen often before Covid.

I am sorry to inform you that many folks here wore masks, at least in Bangkok before covid.  I would always see them wearing them on the RT, BTS, and waling down the streets.  The air quality is just one of the reasons why people were wearing them, as well as those with allergies etc...  In Chiang Mai I also observed folks wearing masks starting in February and going onward due to the burning season and the air quality as well.  In many of the tourist areas you saw very few mask wearers, unless of course the person was sick, but still needed to work and being a caring individual wore a mask.  Wearing a mask in the Asean countries has been common for many years, especially in Korea and in China where I have also traveled.  Again, you just truly had no reason to question in your mind what you failed to observe as it was not in your purview to do so as you had other things on your mind.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am sorry to inform you that many folks here wore masks, at least in Bangkok before covid.  I would always see them wearing them on the RT, BTS, and waling down the streets.  The air quality is just one of the reasons why people were wearing them, as well as those with allergies etc...  In Chiang Mai I also observed folks wearing masks starting in February and going onward due to the burning season and the air quality as well.  In many of the tourist areas you saw very few mask wearers, unless of course the person was sick, but still needed to work and being a caring individual wore a mask.  Wearing a mask in the Asean countries has been common for many years, especially in Korea and in China where I have also traveled.  Again, you just truly had no reason to question in your mind what you failed to observe as it was not in your purview to do so as you had other things on your mind.

OK, I see the misunderstanding.

I thought that when the poster said, 'wearing a mask in this region of the world IS normal and has been for decades long before Covid.' that the poster was referring to Thailand or even Asia as a whole.

But you refer to Bangkok, Chiang Mai during the burning season and Korea and China.

Got it.

• Thanks 2

As I pointed out a week ago, it's too risky to book an expensive flight to LOS right now as the Thai government have form in slamming on the breaks and going into reverse gear. The plan to downgrade the Covid-19 status from a pandemic to an endemic disease faces a deferral for another week, as health authorities are keeping a close watch on new subvariants and the consequences of lifting restrictions. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it faces yet another deferral after that, then another, and so on. 

From a UK's perspective, the latest Office for National Statistics survey show that infections are rising, but we are not seeing nearly the same levels of hospitalisations or deaths as we did before the vaccine roll-out. Figures published just last week show that an estimated 99.3% of the population have antibodies – whether through infection or vaccination. So as a result, although infections are rising, we are not being swamped by yet another Covid wave. If you want to use the UK, or Europe for that matter, as an example for more Thai restrictions, then you need to be aware that hospitalisations are still low, despite the usual scare stories from the legacy media.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Thujone said:

I thought that when the poster said, 'wearing a mask in this region of the world IS normal and has been for decades long before Covid.' that the poster was referring to Thailand or even Asia as a whole.

But you refer to Bangkok, Chiang Mai during the burning season and Korea and China.

Got it.

It's still normal for the most part, whether you recognize it or not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

Got it.

As usual you choose to see what you want, enjoy your day, because you are far from correct. and you misunderstand the actual mask use in all of the Asean countries...

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Sad 1

Just now, garyk said:

Same everywhere. Get over it.

Get over what? Oh the choice to wear a mask if one wants. Got it. Tonight we went to a nice restaurant. The mater de required a mask be worn to be let in and be seated, only after being seated could you remove the mask, and if you needed to use the restroom you heeded to mask back up as you walked to it and used it. The tables were also spaced out appropriately for reasons. The wait staff all wore masks as well.  Sure the cooks were wearing them as well. Wonderful meal and good service.  No one complaining about having to wear a mask either.  Walked outside and removed the masks..... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pepi2005 said:

this might be new to you, but vaccinations have actually had a counter-productive effect. Infections are at top levels in pretty exactly the same countries that have top vaccination rates. You can see it even when comparing US counties or German provinces. Higher vaccination rates = higher infection rates. On top of that, add vaccination adverse effects (including life-long inabilities or death), reduced fertility etc.

So the "rumors" that these mRNA shots are actually damaging the immune system seem to be true, and the way to go would be to immediately stop these risky inoculations until *independent* expert teams can safely say that at least 'updated' versions are factually 'effective and safe' (ideally, for everyone).

I was about to respond to this incredible post, when i saw that  @ThailandRyan had said exactly what I would have said - but probably more politely. Thanks Ryan ????

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What does it really matter if they did test themselves or not? There is nothing rare about contracting covid anymore (unlike two years ago) and I didn't test myself either but was absolutely certain what it was about. After all, what is the likelihood of having a cold like disease with quite unique symptoms during a pandemic and it being something else than expected? I did an antibody test later though to make it sure (positive) and to have some kind of a document. Antibody tests are almost bullet proof, unlike the unrealiable actual covid tests. That was a year ago so not really relevant anymore. I found it weird for example last winter that so many people were ready to wait in enormous queues often in cold and rain to get themselves tested for mild symptoms and for no relevant reason (such as work or travel related).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, realfunster said:

Quite an omission, you've left out biggest at-risk group out of your statement being the elderly..

Average age of death with or of COVID in UK is >80. There's a nice Excel spreadsheet on the UK government website detailing statistics from March 2020- present date. 

But They've always been at high risk since the beginning of mankind, so nothing really new there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 7:53 AM, BritManToo said:

All of my family have had COVID, none of them have developed 'serious symptoms' then or after. The symptoms they had at the time were no worse than regular flu.

The serious symptoms can show up much later.  At the present time, last u read, close to 900,000 Brits are suffering from long COVID and other related health problems as a result of having had COVID.  Many had no initial symptoms or issues with it.  I have a friend who caught COVID in summer of 2020.  She laughed it off as nothing to sweat about, as she had no symptoms.  This year she found out she has serious cardiopulmonary issues as a result of COVID.