Lottery - ever won?

Lottery day today. My other half always buys tickets after much consultation with relatives, but she never wins. I don't buy tickets.

Has any falang on here ever won? Did it change your life?

My Mrs must spend about 100 hours a month trying to work out lottery numbers from posts on her FB ! She's won nothing. I keep telling her that nobody in their right mind would give away winning numbers - let alone see into the future - but , hey ho

Told her we will start a regular competition - she can spend 100 hours a month trying to work out the numbers whilst I will simply take the last 3 numbers off the last product we bought bar code.

Pretty sure we have about the same chance !

As for winning the lottery, just £60 on 4 numbers on UK lottery. I won the lottery with my Mrs and adopted daughter I think, so money would be nice but not important

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 2

I invariably buy 5 x double tickets for each draw. Over the last year I have won on two numbers 4 times and on three numbers just once. 

Has it changed my life? .............. No!............ I continue to buy tickets for each draw and I remain out of pocket. ????

Most lotteries work the same, the ticket sales money is split into prizes (80-90%?) after expenses with one major prize and enough smaller wins to keep the punters interested and the organisers trouser the rest.

The system works, getting greedy only kills the customer base so it's a safe reliable income that most people don't tamper with.

1st time I ever purchased one about 6 years ago, won 4,000 baht, nothing ever since, that said, I only buy one every now and again if one of those sellers pops in to a bar selling them, i.e. won't go out of my way to buy one, would rather invest (loose) a little more for bigger dividends back home, still waiting for the big pay day though ????

I find it oh so hard to even think about buying a lottery ticket after learning that no one, literally no one (public at large) has access to all the tickets.   Unlike an electronic lottery where several people can buy the same number and split the jackpot, paper tickets are divided up and spread country wide.  You come with the winning numbers for the jackpot in Chiangmai, but the ticket with those numbers was sent to Hat Yai.

• Like 1

I only know about winners in the Australian lottery.

My ex father in law won second division about 15 years ago, which was about $AU100 000 at the time. His brother won first division, which was $AU1.5M about 1 year before that.

2 years ago my brother won first division $AU5.8 M on a powerball game. 

I play the Thai lottery and have never won a cracker.

I did the first ever UK lottery in the 90s and won a tenner. Never won a thing after that and gave up after a few months.

I did the Thai lottery and won 2000 baht the first time. Did it a couple more times and nothing. There is clearly a pattern going on, so I stopped. 

The most my wife has won on the Thai lottery on one draw is 80,000.  Four tickets 20,000 each.

Apr-Jun she won about 40,000 over 3 draws.  Playing numbers from our dog's birthday that had died Apr 1st.  She is 100% convinced our dead dog was influencing the lottery draws for us.  The first draw was her year, second draw her month, and 3rd draw her day but backwards 02 instead of 20.  But she had played 20 on the undergound lottery with both combinations and won over 14,000 on that draw.

I happened to be in Spain when the prize was 115 million Euro, so I splashed out 5 on having a go as that kind of money could come in useful on a rainy day. I only won 8 Euro and when I went back to the shop to collect it I complained to the girl that she'd given me the wrong numbers ????

As for here, my wife and her family win small amounts from time to time, with a sister once winning, I think, 40,000. But most of the prizes are so small it's hardly worth bothering with. Some of the sellers are still charging over the odds, of course, despite what the law says, but no-one seems to care.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:16 PM, champers said:

Has any falang on here ever won?

When I lived in Thailand, yes, several times on both the legal and illegal (village) lotteries. I had occasional wins of 2,000 and 4,000 baht on the Government lotteries, the tickets being cashed by the local gold shop for 20 or 40 baht. However I had much more success in the "village" lotteries as they were based on "odds" - the more one paid, the bigger the winnings. On two occasions, I won 30,000 baht each time on the "three" numbers (100 baht bet). Back in England, I was a winner on the UK Lottery collecting 29,500 GBP for "5 numbers + bonus" in a mid week draw. There were over 30 winners that night hence the smaller amount, but I was a happy bunny as the win allowed me to complete the construction of my wooden house among the mountains of Lanna.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information