Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law takes effect today. Its impact is already being felt

onthedarkside

39 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm sorry for your experience.

This is an excellent example of why schools should stick to teaching Maths and English and not try to 'educate' kids about matters relating to sexuality. It's too open to be influenced by the personal beliefs of the teacher for one thing. Whether it's a left wing loon telling the kids how great/cool it is to be gay and that there's no such thing as a woman, or whether it's some hardcore Christian fundamentalist telling the kids it is evil and they'll go to hell, both are potentially damaging to kids and opens up the environment for bullying and ridiculing of the minority by the majority.

Had the class you describe not taken place, you could have avoided the painful experience altogether. I support keeping these discussions out of the classroom.

Because there is no history of bullying kids because they were considered to be gay? And schools should just shut their eyes to it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Because there is no history of bullying kids because they were considered to be gay? And schools should just shut their eyes to it?

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion from my post? Maybe you should read it again ????.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion from my post? Maybe you should read it again ????.

Because if the issue is bullying a kid because they are gay or perceived to be so, you don't think the Florida law is going to have a chilling effect on discussing this kind of bullying?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, placeholder said:

Because if the issue is bullying a kid because they are gay or perceived to be so, you don't think the Florida law is going to have a chilling effect on discussing this kind of bullying?

No, I don't.

Like in the terrible experience of the poster I was responding to, the bullying started because the issue of homosexuality was raised in the classroom. Had they been teaching Maths, the issue would never have even been raised. 

If you think the best way to stop bullying of gay kids is to keep raising the subject of homosexuality in the classroom then I would strongly disagree. It's like the proponents of critical race theory who think the best way to tackle racism is to keep reminding people of the fact they are inherently different because they belong to a certain racial group and assuming (often negative) things about them based on that race.

It's nonsense, it doesn't belong in the classroom, certainly as a compulsory element. At a push I guess extra curricular, optional modules for this could be offered (subject to parental consent) but even that is not necessary IMO. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never encountered one teacher who mentioned their sexuality or partner in a school (to the kids). In the UK it would have been considered gross misconduct, and probably grounds for dismissal. Teachers should keep their private life completely out of the school.

Well fortunately in the UK its mandatory now with teaching in an age-appropriate way about lesbian, gay and bisexual sexuality. That also transfers to the International Schools in Thailand that teach the British curriculum. My daughter here was taught it and her remarks were that the only people who had issues were the Russian parents as the Russian students mentioned it to them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well fortunately in the UK its mandatory now with teaching in an age-appropriate way about lesbian, gay and bisexual sexuality. That also transfers to the International Schools in Thailand that teach the British curriculum. My daughter here was taught it and her remarks were that the only people who had issues were the Russian parents as the Russian students mentioned it to them.

It's mandatory for a teacher to reveal their sexuality to their pupils in the UK?

That sounds unlikely to me.

More likely is you have reading comprehension issues.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My personal experience in a decent well funded US school district in the 60's and 70's. 

LGBTQ stuff non existent in classes.

LGBTQ kids and those suspect for any reason bullied relentlessly often violently.

The schools offered no support.

MOST but not all teachers made their relationship status public to the students. No openly LGBT teachers.  I had a drama teacher who was gay but he needed to be aggressively in the closet if for no other reason than he could have been legally fired just for being gay.

I did have a chance to talk to him after I graduated. He was badly damaged by the closet and had severe internalized homophobia. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t know where you get your view of teachers from but as a teacher I can tell you it is a false one. 

How so? You don't think a 20 something, far left, Pansexual teacher would have a different stance on teaching homosexuality to children than a 60 year old, ultra conservative fundamentalist Christian?

Of course the teachers own viewpoint is critical to how the subject would be approached. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's mandatory for a teacher to reveal their sexuality to their pupils in the UK?

That sounds unlikely to me.

More likely is you have reading comprehension issues.

"its mandatory now with teaching in an age-appropriate way about lesbian, gay and bisexual sexuality." 

ie to teach S.R.E. (inclusive) Sex and relationships Education

Apologies if I was unclear

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really? Boys who were perceived to be gay, because they exhibited behaviors that were considered effeminate, didn't get bullied? Not believable.

Nope.

The 'gay' slur was used, but it was predominantly used on boys who were not perceived to be gay and it wasn't used in a malicious way. It was a throwaway term used among friends, like 'that was a bit gay' if someone did something goofy like missed an open goal during a game of football. For example, as a teenage skateboarder there was a vert trick called the "gay twist" which was a 360 starting backwards where you grabbed the board (it was 'gay' because you couldn't do it without grabbing the board, if you didn't grab the board it was called "The Caballerial" after the inventer of the trick).

So the term was used, but not maliciously and not on effeminate boys. I suspect that had there been LGBT flags everywhere and gay pride marches then the issue of the various forms of sexuality would have been at the fore more than it was. After all, we were just kids and fortunately skating, football, music, video games etc were more important to us than whether someone was LGBTQIA+.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You really do need to get a better grasp on what teaching involves. We follow curriculums with set content. We don’t just show up and think, “hmm, what shall I do today?”

You've missed the point again. The curriculum/content might be LGBT issues. The teachers views on those issues might be completely different and thus the way they teach might be different. Even if they are prepared to teach it in the first place might be an issue.

Here is one example where a teacher was sacked for her Christian beliefs and reluctance to teach these issues. Another good reason why this should be kept out of schools. Teachers shouldn't be sacked because their Christian or Muslim beliefs are not in line with the latest Woke trend.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/07/christian-school-worker-loses-tribunal-case-against-sacking

A livelihood and career ruined. Totally unnecessary.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

My cousin is gay,i remember back in the early 70s living in London,he lived with his boyfriend ,they never flouted the fact ,neither did any of their friends ,i used to go to the bar where most were gay ,everybody just got on with their lives and that was it ,now it seems it has to be shouted from the rooftops,why?

To annoy people like you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

But straight people don't shout they're straight, they just go about their business.

Many gay people seem to like the whole world to know.......and then they complain.....very strange.

Everyone is assumed by default to be straight and cisgender.. You didn't know that?

• Thanks 1