Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law takes effect today. Its impact is already being felt

onthedarkside

Desperate over New Yorkers fleeing to Florida, NYC mayor turns to lies, and never one to avoid a PR stunt has come up with the "plan",

In a response to anti-grooming legislation recently signed by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis that critics have absurdly dubbed the "Don't Say Gay" law, New York City is rolling out a digital marketing campaign encouraging members of Florida's LGBTQ community to move to the city.  Mayor Eric Adams said at an April 4 briefing that the Big Apple's campaign is set to include digital billboards.  One of these ads reportedly states: "People Say a Lot of Ridiculous Things in New York.  'Don't Say Gay' Isn't One of Them."

'Don't Say Gay'

Get it?  It's okay to say "gay" in Gotham City.  Of course, it's also okay to say "gay" across the state of Florida, as the bill in question never once mentions the word.  By rights, it should be called the "Doesn't Say Gay Bill."

It is amusing that New York is now trying to lure Floridians to move there, given the massive outflow of Empire State residents to Florida that has taken place over the past couple of years.  Wonder why so many erstwhile residents of New York have chosen to relocate to Florida?  Could it be for the freedom?  No state income tax?  Weather?  A governor who believes that children should be educated, not indoctrinated?  All of the above?

This liberal pathogen is growing more destructive and amusingly hysterical day by day in America.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 11:30 PM, KhunLA said:

I believe schools are for teaching what is needed to become productive in the work place.  Should concentrate on; language, science, math.

Social & sexual education should be learned at home, as one size doesn't fit all, an may go against the families' beliefs.

All people will find their 'identity' without government interference.  Certainly doesn't need to be taught in school.  Media bombards them already with their options.

Don't need the distractions in their learning environment.  Matter fact, y'all can stop teaching religion & history also.  As useless, and nothing but divisive, and as pointed out elsewhere, nobody actually learns from it.

We’ve already dealt with your myopic utilitarian view of education.

Now let’s deal with your ‘learning identity’.

I wonder if that extends to learning about heterosexual identity, should all heterosexual images be removed from schools, should all heterosexual themed literature and art be removed from schools.

Or is it just the non-heterosexual stuff that bothers you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We’ve already dealt with your myopic utilitarian view of education.

Now let’s deal with your ‘learning identity’.

I wonder if that extends to learning about heterosexual identity, should all heterosexual images be removed from schools, should all heterosexual themed literature and art be removed from schools.

Or is it just the non-heterosexual stuff that bothers you?

Didn't know science & math subjects had sexual preference.

I'll be looking at that #9 a little bit differently in the future ... ????

Pi was coming out as binary ... ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't know science & math subjects had sexual preference.

I'll be looking at that #9 a little bit differently in the future ... ????

Pi was coming out as binary ... ????

There again you don’t know there’s more to education than maths and science.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 10:04 AM, EVENKEEL said:

How about we concentrate on their education, nurture their minds and leave relationships to their parents.

Most parents have no clue what their children are up to. That's one of the issues today, no family values or morals. 

Mom and dad are too busy working so they can buy Little Johnny that new iPhone and have literally know idea Little Johnny has that AK47 in his backpack as he's leaving the house for school.

Besides that, the parents are currently attending marriage counseling twice a week so they have no idea what a relationship is.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, michael87 said:

Desperate over New Yorkers fleeing to Florida, NYC mayor turns to lies, and never one to avoid a PR stunt has come up with the "plan",

In a response to anti-grooming legislation recently signed by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis that critics have absurdly dubbed the "Don't Say Gay" law, New York City is rolling out a digital marketing campaign encouraging members of Florida's LGBTQ community to move to the city.  Mayor Eric Adams said at an April 4 briefing that the Big Apple's campaign is set to include digital billboards.  One of these ads reportedly states: "People Say a Lot of Ridiculous Things in New York.  'Don't Say Gay' Isn't One of Them."

'Don't Say Gay'

Get it?  It's okay to say "gay" in Gotham City.  Of course, it's also okay to say "gay" across the state of Florida, as the bill in question never once mentions the word.  By rights, it should be called the "Doesn't Say Gay Bill."

It is amusing that New York is now trying to lure Floridians to move there, given the massive outflow of Empire State residents to Florida that has taken place over the past couple of years.  Wonder why so many erstwhile residents of New York have chosen to relocate to Florida?  Could it be for the freedom?  No state income tax?  Weather?  A governor who believes that children should be educated, not indoctrinated?  All of the above?

This liberal pathogen is growing more destructive and amusingly hysterical day by day in America.

Why would NY be concerned with old folk moving to Florida, they’re taking all their health and welfare needs With them.

8 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Most parents have no clue what their children are up to. That's one of the issues today, no family values or morals. 

Mom and dad are too busy working so they can buy Little Johnny that new iPhone and have literally know idea Little Johnny has that AK47 in his backpack as he's leaving the house for school.

Besides that, the parents are currently attending marriage counseling twice a week so they have no idea what a relationship is.

Most?

21 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There again you don’t know there’s more to education than maths and science.

Science and math is all most need.  Chemistry never hurt or biology if thinking about med school, or basic education.  Don't really need history, though one of my favorites, and probably has something to do with living in Philly area, as so much historical importance for the USA.

I've been to and can tell where Ben is buried, along with all the historical nooks and crannies of the city & tri-state area, battles sites, to the Dupont gunpowder factory.  Most Americans couldn't even tell the importance of Carpenter's Hall, or the first 2 capitals of the USA.  Not that they really need to, TBH.

Family was one of the original land owners, held large tracts of land.

Social teaching and sexual preference, silly pronouns ... save that sh!t for home learning.  Most pick it up on their own anyway, we all did as kids.

USA is falling so far behind the rest of the world, especially Asia, it's ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Science and math is all most need.  Chemistry never hurt or biology if thinking about med school, or basic education.  Don't really need history, though one of my favorites, and probably has something to do with living in Philly area, as so much historical importance for the USA.

I've been to and can tell where Ben is buried, along with all the historical nooks and crannies of the city & tri-state area, battles sites, to the Dupont gunpowder factory.  Most Americans couldn't even tell the importance of Carpenter's Hall, or the first 2 capitals of the USA.  Not that they really need to, TBH.

Family was one of the original land owners, held large tracts of land.

Social teaching and sexual preference, silly pronouns ... save that sh!t for home learning.  Most pick it up on their own anyway, we all did as kids.

USA is falling so far behind the rest of the world, especially Asia, it's ridiculous.

Be assured, rightwing political leaders and the hyper wealthy funding rightwing political campaigns are not restricting the education of their own children to ‘Math and Science’.

There’s a reason for that.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:09 AM, onthedarkside said:

The measure has already had a chilling effect on public school educators, who in some cases have been instructed to remove LGBTQ+ Pride flags and photographs of same-sex partners from their classrooms to avoid violating the law.

Not exactly what I would consider chilling.  Like it or not, we're talking about politics here, and it isn't the place of the teacher to be making political statements.  Pro or anti abortion, pro or anti Trump, (pro) gay or straight, simply shouldn't have a place in a school.

Teach them how to think, not what to think.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Be assured, rightwing political leaders and the hyper wealthy funding rightwing political campaigns are not restricting the education of their own children to ‘Math and Science’.

There’s a reason for that.

This is a crackpot line of debate anyway. The Florida law nor does any other state law limit schools to math and science. 

4 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Honestly the homophobic undertones in some peoples posts is remarkable. Had heterosexuals been persecuted, abused and discriminated against for so many years, I’m sure they would also be out celebrating, proud of their sexuality that they had kept hidden for so long. Alas in some countries it’s still not safe to be open about it.

Actually I would say in ALL countries there is a real or potential price to be paid for coming out. Things including being disowned by family,  youth kicked out to the street by family, friends dropping you, bullying, employment and housing discrimination even if illegal, violent attacks up to incarceration and execution depending on country. In the US for example it is legal to fire someone just for gay identity and the republican right wing is on the warpath to scapegoat LGBT people and conflate them with pedos. The Florida bill is but one example.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The Florida bill is but one example.

Are you that stuck to the pan? The Florida bill is one example of what? Children up to grade 3 not having to look a transgender queers and being indoctrinated as such? Give your head a shake and stop with the nonsensical rhetoric woke liberal garbage nobody cares about. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

not just me Jing but most of the population ,but they keep quiet ,are to scared to say anything .

If you say so.

Frankly I find your OBSESSION with favoring limiting LGBT visibility to be homophobic but yes I am well aware that homophobia continues to be very widespread.

Evidence of that is abundant on this very topic.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Actually I would say in ALL countries there is a real or potential price to be paid for coming out. Things including being disowned by family,  youth kicked out to the street by family, friends dropping you, bullying, employment and housing discrimination even if illegal, violent attacks up to incarceration and execution depending on country. In the US for example it is legal to fire someone just for gay identity and the republican right wing is on the warpath to scapegoat LGBT people and conflate them with pedos. The Florida bill is but one example.

if true thats sad ,but i have never come across people like that ,even my grandad knew my cousin was "gay" but the only thing he ever really said at the time"do you know ____ wears suede shoes? different times ,then it was a bit suspect ,also we had a boy in our school who was a effeminate and mixed with the girls ,but nobody bullied him.

1 minute ago, michael87 said:

Are you that stuck to the pan? The Florida bill is one example of what? Children up to grade 3 not having to look a transgender queers and being indoctrinated as such? Give your head a shake and stop with the nonsensical rhetoric woke liberal garbage nobody cares about. 

Just stop it. The bill impacts ALL GRADES.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

If you say so.

Frankly I find your OBSESSION with favoring limiting LGBT visibility to be homophobic but yes I am well aware that homophobia continues to be very widespread.

yes limit it ,or should us straight folks go around waving flags and having straight parades ,with straight zebra crossings and police wearing a straight helmet?

• Sad 1

Just now, ivor bigun said:

if true thats sad ,but i have never come across people like that ,even my grandad knew my cousin was "gay" but the only thing he ever really said at the time"do you know ____ wears suede shoes? different times ,then it was a bit suspect ,also we had a boy in our school who was a effeminate and mixed with the girls ,but nobody bullied him.

Then you have led a sheltered life.

In my own life the worst example was moving to a new house to be greeted with the word FAGS painted in red on the house.

• Sad 1

Just now, ivor bigun said:

yes limit it ,or should us straight folks go around waving flags and having straight parades ,with straight zebra crossings and police wearing a straight helmet?

You already dominate every country and always will.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Just stop it. The bill impacts ALL GRADES.

Maybe in your confused world.

“Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards,” the bill states.

The “Don’t Say Gay” law bans instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in grades K-3 and requires that it be “age-appropriate” after that. Parents can sue school districts over alleged violations. But sexual orientation and gender identity is not taught in grades K-3, and opponents worry about the impact of the law on LGBTQ students since the “age-appropriate” description is so vague that teachers and staff may be fearful to discuss or even mention issues relating to sexual orientation and gender identity, thus making LGBTQ students feel invisible. After all, even “boy” and “girl” are gender identities.

https://www.usrenewnews.org/2022/06/27/floridas-controversial-dont-say-gay-law-explained/

Edited by michael87

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You already dominate every country and always will.

That's only really in your mind. You see normality to be "straight" or perhaps even "anti-gay" when really it isn't.

You have a bias which makes you believe that people sitting around not discussing sexuality, are actually oozing with hegemonic straightness.

In order to remedy this, you feel an injection of "gayness" is needed.

What you fail to realise, is that this "straightness" that you perceive as overshadowing "gayness" does nothing of the sort. So all you actually do is inject "gayness" into a neutral situation, making it overtly political and oppositional at the same time.

This is why people object.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Bullying is not always with sticks and stones, just because you never saw any directed at them does not mean it does not happen, there is also emotional abuse in many forms, even in the best case senario this can take place as being merely ignored and unsupported by staff or other children, they feel rejected, alone, inferior, and invisible. 

Unless you where in the shoes of a gay then it would be very difficult to say they were not bullied in some form

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, michael87 said:

Maybe in your confused world.

“Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards,” the bill states.

The “Don’t Say Gay” law bans instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in grades K-3 and requires that it be “age-appropriate” after that. Parents can sue school districts over alleged violations. But sexual orientation and gender identity is not taught in grades K-3, and opponents worry about the impact of the law on LGBTQ students since the “age-appropriate” description is so vague that teachers and staff may be fearful to discuss or even mention issues relating to sexual orientation and gender identity, thus making LGBTQ students feel invisible. After all, even “boy” and “girl” are gender identities.

https://www.usrenewnews.org/2022/06/27/floridas-controversial-dont-say-gay-law-explained/

Florida schools are now literally telling their teachers to avoid any and all LGBT related content and discussion IN ALL GRADES out of fear of lawsuits. LGBT teachers are afraid of being fired and LGBT students are being made INVISIBLE.

This is the kind of oppressive stuff you expect in authoriatarian states like Russia and Iran.

The USA under demagogues like DeSantis is going down a very dark road.

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, the black and white zebra crossings don't specify any one group and its includes ALL people .

The rainbow flag zebra crossings are only representative of a small minority . There are many rainbow flags flying from many lampposts in my town , there have never been flags promoting heterosexuality flying from my towns lampposts .

Should there be brown and White zebra crossings which promote people in relationships with Asians ?

I feel you pain bro’, they bruise of yours looks awful.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, the black and white zebra crossings don't specify any one group and its includes ALL people .

The rainbow flag zebra crossings are only representative of a small minority . There are many rainbow flags flying from many lampposts in my town , there have never been flags promoting heterosexuality flying from my towns lampposts .

Should there be brown and White zebra crossings which promote people in relationships with Asians ?

Didn't notice the local mosque flying the rainbow flag. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I feel you pain bro’, they bruise of yours looks awful.

Its not pain at all , its now getting rather repetitive , seeing the rainbow flag flying everywhere . 

Flying from schools , lampposts , zebra crossings and various other places.

I do like a bit of variety, rather than seeing the same thing over and over again , its like having the latest fashion item 

• Like 2