Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law takes effect today. Its impact is already being felt

onthedarkside

5 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

But straight people don't shout they're straight, they just go about their business.

Many gay people seem to like the whole world to know.......and then they complain.....very strange.

Because they are proud of their sexuality and celebrate the fact now as its recognised in society rather than hidden and being persecuted for it?

Straight sex has never been hidden

• Like 2

This topic is not about Gay Pride parades at which attendance is optional.

Its about Florida schools at which attendance is required.

LGBT people and topics are being made INVISIBLE by an authoritarian right wing demagogue who has a good chance of being president. Putin would love this deeply bigoted law.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What's to be proud of? It's just an immutable characteristic. Like being white, female, straight, Chinese or whatever. 

It's nothing to be proud of. And nothing to be ashamed of. Douglas Murray says it best (he's gay by the way).

image.png.1322374ac15c5a4879368f0325a1b72b.png

I already said why in my post. No need to repeat yet again just for you

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because they are proud of their sexuality and celebrate the fact now as its recognised in society rather than hidden and being persecuted for it?

I thought pride was a sin?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Why should i?

I'd dread to think of the nonsense provided in their answers...

I can see your easily triggered

I've been to Nottin Hill Carnival a few times and the last thing on my mind was to wonder why the occasional pride truck was there along with all the others. Everybody enjoying themselves and proud of it

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I can see your easily triggered

I've been to Nottin Hill Carnival a few times and the last thing on my mind was to wonder why the occasional pride truck was there along with all the others. Everybody enjoying themselves and proud of it

Cute.

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Why should i?

I'd dread to think of the nonsense provided in their answers...

Gay people are like everyone else not a monolith. However its very clear that have PRE JUDGED any responses  the root of prejudice.

DeSantis' law is obviously a cynical exercise in inflaming and exploiting hatred towards LGBT people for culture wars political gain.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I already said why in my post. No need to repeat yet again just for you

No you said why they celebrate. Not why they are proud. Gay people are born gay, it is not something that is achieved through hard work and diligence throughout the course of their lives. Much like being straight, black, white, Thai, British etc. It is not something you have control over, therefore being proud of it seems strange to me (and to many gay people who don't need to celebrate it but just get on with their lives).

It seems you think some immutable characteristics are more worthy of pride than others. For example, someone being proud to be a black, gay, Rwandan female would be fine? But someone who was proud to be a straight, white, British male would not be cool?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No you said why they celebrate. Not why they are proud. Gay people are born gay, it is not something that is achieved through hard work and diligence throughout the course of their lives. Much like being straight, black, white, Thai, British etc. It is not something you have control over, therefore being proud of it seems strange to me (and to many gay people who don't need to celebrate it but just get on with their lives).

It seems you think some immutable characteristics are more worthy of pride than others. For example, someone being proud to be a black, gay, Rwandan female would be fine? But someone who was proud to be a straight, white, British male would not be cool?

Read my post again

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law takes effect today.

Except it doesn't say that...and what it does say is supported by most Floridians. 

51% back a ban on teaching on sexual orientation and gender identity from kindergarten through third grade

https://morningconsult.com/2022/03/16/florida-desantis-dont-say-gay-bill-survey/

It MUST say "don't say gay" in the bill. Otherwise all these numerous media articles stating this in the headline are very nasty examples of disinformation. A distortion of reality to prompt an exaggerated response to suit political goals.

How many of the people having extreme emotional reactions in response to the stories, even realize they have been misinformed about the intent and content of the bill.

DeSantis is one cool guy. It is not easy staying calm while being accused of all kinds of nonsense by misinformed folk.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Righty ho! Does this mean that we can go back to using the word "gay" in it's original meaning, bright, cheerful, happy disposition, colourfully dressed?

You can. No one is stopping you.  You can also go back to using the original meaning of 'straight', being a line with no angles to it. 

46 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

LGBT people and topics are being made INVISIBLE by an authoritarian right wing demagogue who has a good chance of being president. Putin would love this deeply bigoted law.

I think everyone's sexuality should be invisible. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 7/2/2022 at 4:04 AM, EVENKEEL said:

How about we concentrate on their education, nurture their minds and leave relationships to their parents.

Yes, you are right that parents should advise and guide relationship issues. But given the range and cross cultural minefield we live in today are parents the most knowledgeable to impart adequate levels of guidance, understanding and truth to their children or will they aim to have their children mirror their own insecurities, half truths and bigotries? 

Teachers have years of training, qualification, experience and mentorships to become a teacher. There is no test required to be a parent. If we value understanding, diversity and tolerance as a society I would argue both teachers and parents have a role to play in developing relationships. In a shockingly high number of cases teachers spend more time with their pupils than there parents do each day and probably have a better understanding of the student as a person than some parents. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think everyone's sexuality should be invisible. 

And most gay people would agree. Being gay to them is one of hundreds of things that they happen to be. Some of those things were achieved by hard work and some are immutable (like being gay). 

Unfortunately there is a vocal minority that feel the need to shout about it from the rooftops. Because they don't want to be invisible, they don't want to blend in, they want to be the centre of attention, they want everyone to know they are 'special'. If that annoys people, it delights them ????.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:40 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

We’ll certainly not something Government, Federal or State should be regulating.

Where did anyone suggest that the government would regulate sexual orientation?

Sensationalist nonsense.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Honestly the homophobic undertones in some peoples posts is remarkable. Had heterosexuals been persecuted, abused and discriminated against for so many years, I’m sure they would also be out celebrating, proud of their sexuality that they had kept hidden for so long. Alas in some countries it’s still not safe to be open about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1