TM6 cards scrapped?

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

Surely you mean July 1?

I flew into BKK from CDG (Paris) on 2 July. Thai Airways handed out blank TM6 cards on the plane and I dutifully completed mine. However the immigration officer I dealt with at BKK Arrivals showed absolutely no interest in doing anything with it, but I won't be binning it in case my local immigration office query why I haven't entered the TM6 number on the TM7 form when applying for my next retirement extension next week. In anticipation of them doing so I plan to arm myself with the fruits of my labours plus multiple copies thereof for them to do with as they see fit.

Make sure you let me know how that goes, I am going to the US next month, don't want to get caught with my pants down

17 hours ago, Maestro said:

In forty years of flying to Thailand at least once a year I have never been asked for my boarding pass by Thai immigration on arrival at Bangkok airport. For the past many years, I did the online check-in, got a QR sent to my phone and got no paper boarding pass that I could have shown or given anybody asking for it.

Same, also around 40 years never been asked for boarding pass.

On 7/2/2022 at 3:07 PM, DrJack54 said:

There have been few similar threads.

I'm amazed.

If the airline hands you a tm6 or they are handed out in immigration queue then fill it in.

If the io accepts it and hands you back the departure section then take it.

Job done. Who cares. 

Making mountains out of mole hills springs to mind.????

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:38 PM, Joe2050 said:

Still need to fill the form TM6. 

Im not so sure, Yesterday with Thai Air, they handed them out I filled it in and gave it to the Immigration office together with my passport, She took the whole and no little slip back to me. I guess she just trashed it for me not to make me confuse.

• Like 1

I flew out of Bangkok on Sunday night. The immigration officer did NOT take my TM6 departure slip out of my passport and I didn't need to fill anything else in.

Haven't yet had time to catch up on other subjects ref TM6 but when I return to Thailand in a couple of weeks and they still don't use TM6, will that mean for immigration paperwork that require referencing TM6  I.e. 90 day report, I use the old TM6 number or will the forms scrap the requirement?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I flew out of Bangkok on Sunday night. The immigration officer did NOT take my TM6 departure slip out of my passport and I didn't need to fill anything else in.

Haven't yet had time to catch up on other subjects ref TM6 but when I return to Thailand in a couple of weeks and they still don't use TM6, will that mean for immigration paperwork that require referencing TM6  I.e. 90 day report, I use the old TM6 number or will the forms scrap the requirement?

For online 90 day reporting you cannot fill in the TM6 box 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

There now seems to be enough evidence to confirm that Immigration are not processing TM6 forms.

Certainly true in the case of foreigners who have entered (or re-entered) Thailand since the start of the month. But might immigration officers at the various airport and land border checkpoints still be relieving foreigners exiting Thailand of their TM6 departure stubs duly completed?

In any event it strikes me that it might be prudent for those who are planning imminent departures from Thailand to take the precaution of scanning their TM6 stubs (as I did, fortunately, prior to my recent trip to France and the UK), so that, if their office were subsequently to insist on TM6 numbers being entered on their completed TM7, TM8, etc forms regardless, they would then be able to enter the number of their previous TM6 and have hard copy evidence to back this up if need be.

@flexomike - of particular interest in your case in view of your upcoming trip to the States.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arrived on the 8th July with Singapore, I asked on the flight and was told from one of the stewards that they don't have them and they are no longer required. 

I wasn't asked for one at immigration. And was processed for a Visa on arrival quickly for the 30 days. 

I will be requiring a 30 day extension from Jomtien immigration. And I'm guessing this will be where the fun starts!

I normally get the condo owner to register me in this address and sent him the usual text message with picture of Visa stamp. first thing he asked, where's the TM6 as he needs the barcode number. 

Guess il have to go to immigration Monday morning to report the address..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, McGregor21 said:

I will be requiring a 30 day extension from Jomtien immigration. And I'm guessing this will be where the fun starts!

I normally get the condo owner to register me in this address and sent him the usual text message with picture of Visa stamp. first thing he asked, where's the TM6 as he needs the barcode number.

Think you raise very valid point.

It's one thing for immigration at airport to stop issuing TM6.

Point is does that automatically flow through.

Recent post in thread regarding this was about hotel owner insisting on tm6 to file the TM30.

This is all just soooo Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Recent post in thread regarding this was about hotel owner insisting on tm6 to file the TM30.

IMO I would have to believe that it flows through. Whilst local Immigration will adopt their own practices they cannot go against a fundamental change such as this. 

You cannot account for a landlord who is not up to speed with changes.

I am quietly confident that Immigration will be linked up wef 2nd July, and this poster is quite specific:-

image.png.fb706bec0c3bb58b08b66add3228ca85.png

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I am quietly confident that Immigration will be linked up wef 2nd July, and this poster is quite specific:

My concern is that what happens when the "temporary suspension" is lifted and those that live here who left and reentered and not given a tm6 find themselves requiring one 'down the track'.

I can just imagine immigration at that time saying ...."no problem visit immigration to obtain tm6" 

Immigration think a visit to their office is like a walk to 7/11 for an ice cream.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My concern is that what happens when the "temporary suspension" is lifted and those that live here who left and reentered and not given a tm6 find themselves requiring one 'down the track'.

I can just imagine immigration at that time saying ...."no problem visit immigration to obtain tm6" 

Immigration think a visit to their office is like a walk to 7/11 for an ice cream.

IMO, they will have that eventuality covered.

Also, IMO, I cannot see them reverting to TM6's once they realise how much paperwork is saved.

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Also, IMO, I cannot see them reverting to TM6's once they realise how much paperwork is saved

Using that logic they would have done away with 90 day reporting long ago. 

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Using that logic they would have done away with 90 day reporting long ago. 

Don't apply logic top progress in Thailand.

'Temporary suspension' of 90 day reporting will be next  -  possibly even this year.

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

'Temporary suspension' of 90 day reporting will be next  -  possibly even this year.

I notice that for the new long term visas (mainly for those with lots of money), that 90 day reporting is not required, it is just annual reporting. Hopefully a trend..

Edited by Tuvoc

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yep, from many years experience with Jomtien immigration, they will no doubt fabricate something that is not part of the official process to extract some coin.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

gotta show us dirty farang who's boss otherwise we'd start thinking that we own the place and have an automatic right to stay permanently because we said so. oh wait...

17 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

gotta show us dirty farang who's boss otherwise we'd start thinking that we own the place and have an automatic right to stay permanently because we said so. oh wait...

Do you whine about everything?

This is a very sensible step forward by the Thai authorities..  welcome it, rather than have a pointless rant.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Do you whine about everything?

This is a very sensible step forward by the Thai authorities..  welcome it, rather than have a pointless rant.

If it's a step forward then why refer to it as "temporary suspension" 

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If it's a step forward then why refer to it as "temporary suspension" 

So you don't think that it is a step forward?

You surprise me Dr Jack, with your knowledge and experience of Immigration, I thought that you would see this as a positive......and, come on, you have been around long enough to understand Thai style - introducing the change as 'temporary' covers them against any accusation if flip-flopping if they revert to TM6's. My money is on this becoming permanent. 

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

So you don't think that it is a step forward?

As I mentioned earlier or perhaps in another thread.

I wish I had never got sucked in by the "temporary suspension" to 90 day reporting during amnesty period covid.

Then immigration Bangkok insisted on anyone who skipped 90 report must make one in person during August 2020.

So from a guy that then made a trip from Koh Samet to Mueang Thong Thani.....and back.

No I do not appreciate any temporary suspension.

Thai never think things through.

As someone else posted ..wait and see what individual immigration offices do in the future.

Arrival card is a nothing.

Scrap or leave the damn thing alone. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

We would also hope that this is one of many changes coming up, doing away with the physical paper and using computer records for multiple things. There is going to be a day (maybe already here) that the old "sticks in the mud" at the government agencies that are against modernization are getting retired and the younger, more worldly people are being put in charge.

Also, the person who's relative had the monopoly on printing the TM6 may have moved on or something...????

I have a couple of reactions to this. Scrapping the TM6 form is, in principle, a good thing. Based on my experience of Thai computer systems, relying 100% on computer records ,without any kind of paper backup, fills me with dread.