TM6 cards scrapped?

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Based on my experience of Thai computer systems, relying 100% on computer records ,without any kind of paper backup, fills me with dread.

The rest of the world can manage it - and biometrics?, even the Thais couldn't screw that up.............could they?

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Can now report on the outcome of my latest retirement extension application at Rayong Immigration Office yesterday. There was absolutely no reaction from the officer with whom I dealt to lack of a TM6 number in the completed TM7 form which I submitted. So it looks like that particular officer is certainly aware of the "temporary" scrapping of the TM6 card - although whether that is also true of each and every other immigration officer in each and every office across LOS remains to be seen.

@flexomike - FYI

Thank you OJAS, that joins the dots up quite nicely and should alleviate some of the concerns that some posters had.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So it looks like that particular officer is certainly aware of the "temporary" scrapping of the TM6 card - although whether that is also true of each and every other immigration officer in each and every office across LOS remains to be seen

Thanks for update.

Hopefully all immigration offices will be on same page.

I wonder if other things that previously required a TM6 such as TDL etc will also have no issue.

If the "temporary suspension" is later changed back to previous mode ..what happens then. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If the "temporary suspension" is later changed back to previous mode ..what happens then. 

I think you will understand that is the biggest reason why I believe this will be a permanent change. Already, TM6 is not required for 90 day reporting 

To switch back to using TM6 makes no sense at all and as for “what happens if..”, some people will not have a TM6 and Immigration would have to issue new ones (as they did previously with lost TM6 cards).

I am quite prepared to wager a fistful of Baht that we have seen the last of the TM6.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

To switch back to using TM6 makes no sense at all and as for “what happens if..”, some people will not have a TM6 and Immigration would have to issue new ones (as they did previously with lost TM6 cards)

Clearly you were not one of the folk that stopped doing 90 day reports when they were "suspended" during amnesty only to be told (CW folk) to report in person to immigration (MTT at that time) to update your status regarding 90 day reports.

Don't put anything past Thai immigration and never assume any logic or forward planning. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Clearly you were not one of the folk that stopped doing 90 day reports when they were "suspended" during amnesty only to be told (CW folk) to report in person to immigration (MTT at that time) to update your status regarding 90 day reports.

Don't put anything past Thai immigration and never assume any logic or forward planning. 

90 day reporting is much easier to reinstate.

But, I could be wrong - take up the wager if you wish Doctor ????

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

90 day reporting is much easier to reinstate

How so.

I made a road trip from Koh Samet to MTT as required by Bangkok immigration to "regularize" my 90 reports that were skipped during "suspension".

Anyway enough. 

You have your view. Stated already. 

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In the case of those who find themselves TM6-less as a result of the current "temporary" suspension, my gut feeling is that they will need to pick up replacement forms at their local office - but only when they specifically need to do business there regarding extensions of stay, re-entry permits, etc.

Doubt whether this will be an issue for 90-day reporting, though, bearing in mind that we are no longer required to provide a TM6 number for online reporting purposes. In this connection Rayong also invited me to reset my 90-day clock yesterday (despite my only having been back in the country from my travels for 10 days!), for which I provided them with a completed TM47 form minus a TM6 number. Once again, nothing was said about this omission by the officer I dealt with.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OJAS said:

......., my gut feeling is that they will need to pick up replacement forms at their local office........

That's my point.

Many people make a trip to their local office sound similar to go for a coffee.

For some it's a day long gig.

Personally, I'm taking a short trip to Oz soon.

No doubt will not receive a tm6 when return.

Early next year need to renew TDL. TM6 not required? Let's see.

Wish they left the tm6 alone.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I am quite prepared to wager a fistful of Baht that we have seen the last of the TM6.

A 50/50 chance of this happening, I'd say. If I were you I'd keep my fistful of THB in my wallet for the time being!

Edited by OJAS

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's my point.

But, as I said, no need to make a special trip to their office but only when they needed to go there in person in any event to apply for an extension of stay or re-entry permit! Can't see who would be interested in knowing your TM6 number in the meantime. And stocks will presumably be available at airports for those travelling out of the country (in particular for those seeking re-entry permits there).

Edited by OJAS

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's my point.

Personally, I'm taking a short trip to Oz soon.

No doubt will not receive a tm6 when return.

Early next year need to renew TDL. TM6 not required? Let's see.

Wish they left the tm6 alone.

I hate filling them in and never saw any useful purpose in them.

I really don't understand people complaining about positive changes. 

It is not Immigration's fault that someone lives a long way from their offices. I have always changed Immigration offices when I have moved location.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Great Raymondo said:

I really don't understand people complaining about positive changes. 

Here is snip from Thaiger.

First sentence regarding this topic....

"The Thai Prime Minister has revealed the government will temporarily scrap the TM6 immigration form."

Clearly I read the statements from government different than yourself. 

Edited by DrJack54

19 minutes ago, OJAS said:

A 50/50 chance of this happening, I'd say. If I were you I'd keep my fistful of THB in my wallet for the time being!

Ha Ha I take your point - but I am still prepared to put my money where my mouth is if there are any takers.????

1 hour ago, The Great Raymondo said:

I am going to Cambodia next week. I have an extension based on retirement and a multiple re-entry permit. I have a stock of TM6 cards and usually complete one prior to my journey.

I guess I no longer need to complete them and can discard my stock of forms.

keep us posted on what happens at the border, I am planning on doing an in and out in a couple of months to cancel my OA extension

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

keep us posted on what happens at the border, I am planning on doing an in and out in a couple of months to cancel my OA extension

It entering at a land border crossing you will need to complete a TM6 form.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close the circle on my original post.....

I traveled back today from Phnom Penh to Don Muang with Air Asia.

No TM6 cards handed out and nothing said at Immigration. Also, I was not asked for my boarding card (as I had been a month earlier at Swampy).

By contrast going to Phnom Penh (with an evisa) I was given an Immigration card to complete, a health declaration and a customs declaration plus a visa application.