Baht’s current slide is a grim reminder of its crash 25 years ago

webfact

12 minutes ago, Xonax said:

The Thai Baht is NOT weak!  It is just the US Dollar that is becoming stronger against all other currencies. The reason is, that USA is expected to be able to control the rising inflation better, than most other countries.

Thats not the reason. Usd is a bigger currency and interest rates are going up.

Completely different than in 1997. This is mainly to do with the USA and its policies, which have finally resulted in inflation. There is a high demand for dollars at the moment for various reasons but this may reverse soon, if it is shown that the US economy has weakened enough to prompt a bigger sell-off of US government and corporate bonds, and eventually dollars, abroad.

Fear and sentiment will also drive the markets, rates and USD up or down. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Usd is a safe currency. Plus higher % rates attracts money.

Good time to hold usd.

Dollar is overvalue and it's unclear if the currency's strength will hold in the impending recession. Higher interest rate will come with a cost as it will cause a significant drop in economic activity and high unemployment making a recession more likely. Hold the USD at your own peril. 

• Confused 2

Not pretending to be an economist as I still don't understand why when the Baht was 25 to the buck Thailand was exporting well and there were no complaints like today (that I remember). Tourism was rising. When the Baht sank into the 50s people complained that such a weak currency was no good. I think it badly hurt those with dollar debt but it seemed to be "a bad thing". Then they said hallelujah they would export easier. I wish they would make up their minds now it is weakening again. If there is an economic expert in the forum, explain why a weaker baht is bad for an export-oriented country.

• Like 1

I think the worst thing about the collapse in 1997 was that many US expats thought 40/$1 or 40++/$1 was the norm......only to find out that it was more like 30-33/$1.  We came here in 1996 and the rate had been 25/$1 for so long that it was the expected norm.  We thought 25/$1 was a good enough deal as we married in 1973 when it was 20ish to $1.

download.svg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I know is I exploit it when this happens , really all over the world now the dollar is strong.

Enjoy it while you can.

Just finalized my plans to travel to Asia this month. Good time for me.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xonax said:

The Thai Baht is NOT weak!  It is just the US Dollar that is becoming stronger against all other currencies. The reason is, that USA is expected to be able to control the rising inflation better, than most other countries.

US dollar being bought from fear on the markets as well as the increase in interest rates

8 minutes ago, CloseShave said:

Think you have a typo when you said:

"Back to 40 would be nice, as that's where it was when I arrived 2020."

Nowhere near 40 baht to the US dollar in 2020 ????

oops ... 2000 looks a bit better ????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Such a misleading post--- I wonder if done privately --would the mods have taken it away.

Just--pick a country and replace the headline with it... 

Australian $$..... crashing down from 75 in April to 67 now..... ....remember the 1990s crash

British Pound down nearly 16 pence from start of year........... Soup kitchens on the way

The Euro on the brink of going under one Euro to a $us..............

The Yen hasn't risen against the $us in nearly 2 years

There isn't a major currency that is on par--let alone go up against the $us

Yet ASEAN lets them keep on repeating this scare mongering.---and prints it.

This is Aseannow man, it is either party hats or the world is coming to an end... haha

• Haha 1

Against the UK pound- in the 1990s the baht went to nearly 100 baht

At the beginning of the 21st century is was in the high 70s

the current rates are nowhere near that.

for Thailand to recover form Covid it needs foreign key  in the form of selling exports 

what does Thailand sell?

Tourism electronics and motor vehicles - the cheaper the baht, the better for recovery.

aS one of the worlds top exporters of rice they will do very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

If the baht does get near or beyond 40, I think that would be a sure sign, Thailand has lost control of it economy.  Maybe they've dwindled away that huge USD reserve already. 

From the linked article:
The latest figures point to the central bank intervening in the market as international reserves have gone down to $229.9  billion in May from $245.9 billion in December 2021.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It's dollar strength in the main......

Appears to be so. I was getting 1.34 US$ for 1 GBP. Currently it is 1.19 US$ for 1 GBP. My 3 recent UK monthly pensions are down in total by 61 US$ (51 GBP) just on the exchange rate!!

Wow look at the financial headline in to-days mail....UK...its a wonder that WebbFact missed it all.

Oh yer of course according to them- the Bahts the only one in trouble. The Euro a 20 year low...and not a mention from Webb "Fact"

Sterling and euro crash as dollar soars:...

On another day of turmoil, sterling fell to a two-year low against the greenback, dropping below $1.19 for the first time since the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic.

At the same time, the euro crashed to a 20-year low around €1.02 as it headed towards parity with the US currency.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-10985493/Sterling-euro-crash-dollar-soars.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Hard to understand, weaker Thai baht ,prices going up everywhere and the price of Gold falling down. You would think the USD would be taking a nose dive with all the debt they have.

Look at Financial Collape in China 

C9A68C57-7B1F-4F44-AF48-FB76E849E3A2.png

22C80A42-536B-4917-9E29-5B95DF327AEE.png

C077A562-343C-48A6-AC7D-A68BE01323FE.png

24224F89-6B9B-4579-BE4E-7364435FF37F.png

B389E2E7-BF3C-44D8-98A0-C831DC9E19D0.png

FB2A901A-63CC-42B9-BC2B-5BFF640B2EAC.png

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, starky said:

Yeah but the aud is a junk currency ????????????

The higher US interest rates go, relative to Australian interest rates, the more demand there is for US dollars, and the less demand for Australian dollars and the value of our currency falls.

The Aussie dollar is also negatively affected by poor market sentiment, or pessimism about the global economy. And this is being made worse by the prospect of rising global interest rates.

The AUD is essentially a commodity currency. It is not grossly affected by the USD.

Same as 2008 when the states screwed the world market, Australia wasn’t greatly affected.

do your homework before you post my friend!

3 hours ago, talahtnut said:

(...)

Stock up on Russian Rubles

Well, looks like the ruble is rising too. Wonder why? (Rhetorical question.)

Seems, the more the West boycotts Russian oil, gas, gold, etc., the better Russia is doing. (Well, except for the moldy buns at the Russian McDonald's successor, of course...)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Baht is now at exchange rate pre Trump inauguration. Same as when  my arrival date.

Yesterday my Thai GF said she heard on the news the bath is heading for a one to one baht to dollar. !!!

Good news source. Maybe it was turkish baths.

• Haha 1