Baht’s current slide is a grim reminder of its crash 25 years ago

webfact

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Is the baht sliding or the dollar rising?

Dollar rising. Saw a headline "Euro on 20 year low against the Dollar, near parity".

Having Euro pension I feel no euphoria about a Baht slide.

Was happy to catch 37.29 for my last transfer. Now dropped below 37 again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Dollar rising. Saw a headline "Euro on 20 year low against the Dollar, near parity".

Having Euro pension I feel no euphoria about a Baht slide.

Was happy to catch 37.29 for my last transfer. Now dropped below 37 again.

But but ........! you got already many indexations based on rising expenses in Home country i suspect???? ,while prices in Thailand long time stayed not to high ......unless lately it started here too 

See those poor Brits with frozen pensions , glad to be Belgian ..... no freezing pensions 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

it's where it should be,  and that's being overlay generous !

Back to 40 would be nice, as that's where it was when I arrived 2020.

I'm not greedy, and don't need the Apr/May 2001's high of ฿45/46 to $1

Can't see that happening, as last 15 yr, TH has kept it between ฿30-35 / $1

image.png.73f6388ffa7bad48ed8b66c75ce634f2.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Yes, a weak baht helps both the export and tourism industries.  So that's a good thing!  Everything goes in cycles.  Let it go to 40 against the USD and it will work itself back.....promise!

Hard to understand, weaker Thai baht ,prices going up everywhere and the price of Gold falling down. You would think the USD would be taking a nose dive with all the debt they have.

• Thanks 1

If the baht does get near or beyond 40, I think that would be a sure sign, Thailand has lost control of it economy.  Maybe they've dwindled away that huge USD reserve already. 

As I was quite surprised they borrowed more than a few billion baht from Japan couple months back.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2304786/govt-accepts-japan-loan-of-b13-2bn

Maybe some trade concession forth coming for Japan's auto industry, so they can complete in TH against the now dominant Chinese EV influx.

Banks already moved to protect themselves, JIC, as no longer required to insure account deposits above 1 mill.

Edited by KhunLA

So, if bIden loses the house and senate as predicted later this year and becomes a lame duck president, would it be better for our  american friends to send it now rather than risk the $ crashing later.

Just a shame as Brit to see my currency low against the dollar AND the baht !

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, starky said:

Yeah but the aud is a junk currency ????????????

The higher US interest rates go, relative to Australian interest rates, the more demand there is for US dollars, and the less demand for Australian dollars and the value of our currency falls.

The Aussie dollar is also negatively affected by poor market sentiment, or pessimism about the global economy. And this is being made worse by the prospect of rising global interest rates.

Aud commodity driven

Iron ore copper down

• Like 2