LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

41 minutes ago, sabaiguy said:

Just filed for certificate of residence this week.  Just showed LTR and TM30, told to come back in a week to pick it up.  I don't even know what a TM47 is.  Chiang Rai.  About as laid back an immigration office as I can imagine.

This is good to know. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, stat said:

Do I understand correctly that the 17% income tax treatment is only applicable to highly skilled professional and not to wealthy pensioner LTR?

Correct

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, sabaiguy said:

That's hard to believe.

Not that I don't believe you.  Can't believe Canada treats cap gains that way.  So do you have to pay income tax on income you don't receive?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, sabaiguy said:

Not that I don't believe you.  Can't believe Canada treats cap gains that way.  So do you have to pay income tax on income you don't receive?

This is the way it is done in Austria with all share holdings (and apparently in CAN) but in Germany it is only appplied when you own more then 1% of a company and you leave the country. Quite a challenge to own 1% of SAP or Apple. However if you own more then 1% you have to pay the unrealized gains when leaving.

Edited by stat

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

I am not an international tax expert and I doubt you are either.  What I do know is that most if not all G20 countries have tax treaties with each other and tend to do the same thing on these matters, so I doubt that some of them would allow a tax loophole like that while others would not.

I actually work in the international tax field so I hope you can trust my statements. This issue is not an DTA issue at all because there is only 1 country involved (Germany) when I leave. A lot of things regarding tax are handled completly different for each country. The moment I leave I am only resident of one country.

• Like 1

Just as an FYI, I noted there are 3 new documents available recently under the Laws and Regulations link of the BOI LTR website:

7. Announcement of Ministry of Interior Affairs (TH)

8. Order of the Immigration Bureau No.150-2565 (TH)

13. Announcement of the Ministry of Labor (TH)

No idea whether these are new laws or just to complete the list of legislation pertaining to LTR visa. I believe it's the latter. All are in Thai, the English versions are not (yet) available. 

9 hours ago, stat said:

Do I understand correctly that the 17% income tax treatment is only applicable to highly skilled professional and not to wealthy pensioner LTR?

Yes, however the LTR HSP does not get the Thai tax exemption on foreign income remittances that the other LTR visas get.  

16 minutes ago, Misty said:

Yes, however the LTR HSP does not get the Thai tax exemption on foreign income remittances that the other LTR visas get.  

Misty if I am correct the LTR HSP is brilliant for those who earn a good income in Thailand and don’t need to remit large sums from abroad, whilst the other LTRs are for we who don’t work in Thailand and rely on Foreign Sourced funds for our yearly expenses.    

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes...you'll probably need to show a TM30 receipt which is the  "Notification From For Housemaster, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence Where the Alien Has Stayed" form.    I say "probably" because I just attached a copy of my TM30 receipt when I applied for the Certificate of Residence.   

And about 5 years ago when I was still on a Non 0 type visa and when to get a residence certificate at CW I had to provide a copy of my TM30 receipt.

LTR visa does not use a TM47 as there is no 90 day address reporting requirement; instead, a TM95 one year address report is used.  I also attached my TM95 receipt since I haven't left Thailand for over a year. 

Edit....correction...I just remembered that I got the residence certificate before I had one year under my belt with the LTR visa and just included a copy of the address reporting slip they give a person when first getting the LTR visa issued.....I didn't file my first TM95 until a couple months later.

Sorry I can't be more specific because when I went to Chamchuri Sq Immigration to get the resident certificate I just had a copy of my TM30, TM95, and TM6 that I offered with the application form and they took them all....they didn't have to "ask" for any form.  

Hi Pib, thanks very much for this.  There's a list of documents on the Thai Elite website that I was working off of, link & screenshot below.

A couple of questions: 

1) Where did you get the certificate of residence application form? 

2) In the Thai Elite link it mentions also needing a copy of the lease agreement if renting, a copy of my landlord's ID and title deed in the case the landlord is not a person.  Did you need any of those documents as well? If not, how does the Chamchuri Sq immigration confirm where you live? 

Just an aside: I also have two Thai drivers' licenses (car & motorbike) and on the back of each is my residence. Interestingly so far no one seems to be requesting or interested in copies of those, even for the car purchase itself.

https://thailand-elite.com/what-is-a-residence-certificate-and-how-to-get-it/

image.png

55 minutes ago, SHA 2 BKK said:

Misty if I am correct the LTR HSP is brilliant for those who earn a good income in Thailand and don’t need to remit large sums from abroad, whilst the other LTRs are for we who don’t work in Thailand and rely on Foreign Sourced funds for our yearly expenses.    

Yes, that is how I understand it too.  I have the LTR HSP now, switched to it after my profession qualified for it.  Previously I had one of the other LTRs and had to pay a higher tax on my income.  But I don't need to remit funds now so I prefer the 17% rate on income. At some point in the future when I'm no longer working I'll go back to one of the other LTRs, as long as the program still exists.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Misty said:

Hi Pib, thanks very much for this.  There's a list of documents on the Thai Elite website that I was working off of, link & screenshot below.

A couple of questions: 

1) Where did you get the certificate of residence application form? 

2) In the Thai Elite link it mentions also needing a copy of the lease agreement if renting, a copy of my landlord's ID and title deed in the case the landlord is not a person.  Did you need any of those documents as well? If not, how does the Chamchuri Sq immigration confirm where you live? 

Just an aside: I also have two Thai drivers' licenses (car & motorbike) and on the back of each is my residence. Interestingly so far no one seems to be requesting or interested in copies of those, even for the car purchase itself.

https://thailand-elite.com/what-is-a-residence-certificate-and-how-to-get-it/

image.png

Yes, above list of documents is what is required...and this list can be found on quite a few websites.   However, whether your servicing immigration office will require all of them especially a rental contract if renting, photo, etc., is a different story.   

To the best of my memory when I went to Chamchuri Sq I did not provide a picture although I had some ready if they asked.  Typically if a picture is required there is a place to paste it on the form.   They did not ask for a rental contract maybe because I provided a copy of my Yellow Book...plus the Thai wife and I own versus rent. And maybe because Chamchuri Sq is my servicing immigration office and had my LTR visa issued there then that was enough proof of residence along with the other docs I provided.  A person just never knows if the immigration office will demand each of the items in the list above OR just some of them.   This Is Thailand.

Regarding the application form I used the one I download from the main Thai immigration website:

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/downloads_en/

Document #22 "Application for Resident Certificate in Thailand" on the download list...below link should take you right to it.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/36.แบบขอหนังสือรับรองถิ่นที่พักอาศัยในประเทศ.doc

But if I remember right when I presented this form at Chamchuri Sq they handed me a "slightly" different version to fill-out....still just a one page form asking for the same info but a ever so slightly different format.  

Yeap....I also have car and motorcycle licenses along with Pink Thai ID Card and Yellow Book....all with my current address.  However, when I bought my new car from BYD in late 2023 (that's why I needed the residence certificate)  and although BYD handles the registration (does it all for you for free...typical for a new car purchase)....even though BYD had a copy of my Pink Thai ID card, Yellow Book, passport, Thai drivers license, and residence certificate to accomplish the registration which should have been more than enough to register the the car "without the DLT having to see/feel/touch my passport I still have to go to DLT in the Chatuchuk area for DLT to copy/touch/feel/smell my passport.  

The BYD dealership had actually said they would probably need to take my passport to Bangkok Chatuchuk  DLT during the registration meaning my passport would be out of my hands for about a week.   I did "not" want to lose control of my passport to BYD or DLT even for a day so I told them I really don't want to do that as the passport is too important.  The BYD dealership then made a few calls and then said I would "not" need to show my actual passport (just a copy) since I had a Pink ID card and Yellow book...so those copies should be enough. 

HOWEVER, about a week into the registration process the BYD dealership called and said Chatuchak DLT "had" to see/feel/touch/smell my passport....make their own copy and see me sign the copy.  The BYD dealership picked me up, drove me to Chatuchak DLT (wow!!!...a huge DLT complex), DLT made their own copy, had me sign the copy, took the passport into some office for about 10 minutes, and then came back with the passport and said all is good now....all of this only took about 30 minutes at DLT since the BYD rep hand massaged my visit.  A few days later I had my car blue book and white license plates. 

Yeap, even though I had enough documentation to choke a horse Chacuchak DLT had to smell/see/touch my passport for a few minutes....I guess that was the only proof they would accept to confirm the copies of my passport were indeed true copies.   Now when I bought a new Toyota back in 2008 here in Bangkok...Toyota did the free registration...made copies of a bunch of stuff to include my passport...I also provide a residence certificate....along with signed copies of my passport and Toyota was able to complete registration without DLT needing to see/smell/touch my passport.  This is Thailand.

Good luck with the car purchase.

EDIT: just noticed there is also a link on the BOI LTR website to download the resident certificate form.  As I mentioned earlier I got mine within one hour for Bt500 vs the two weeks talked at the LTR website which might be "general" info in how quite a few immigration offices handle a residence certificate request if not providing same day service but instead they mail it to you later...that's how CW use to handle it based on my personal experience when I was on a Non O visa.   This Is Thailand.

BOI LTR Weblink for Residence Certifiate

https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/how-to-manage.html

image.png.6f6e591afce58328c610128cefea1d78.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, aublumberg said:

Just as an FYI, I noted there are 3 new documents available recently under the Laws and Regulations link of the BOI LTR website:

7. Announcement of Ministry of Interior Affairs (TH)

8. Order of the Immigration Bureau No.150-2565 (TH)

13. Announcement of the Ministry of Labor (TH)

No idea whether these are new laws or just to complete the list of legislation pertaining to LTR visa. I believe it's the latter. All are in Thai, the English versions are not (yet) available. 

Not new.  Those documents use to be in the same website location for many months right after the LTR program kicked off...and then they disappeared around six months ago...now they are back again. 

I figured they disappeared because BOI had determined they were unneeded for LTR applicants....overkill in terms of info.  Like #8 seems written for Thai immigration officials to included telling them exactly how the LTR visa stamps must be made....how to enter stamp info...etc.  

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes, above list of documents is what is required...and this list can be found on quite a few websites.   However, whether your servicing immigration office will require all of them especially a rental contract if renting, photo, etc., is a different story.   

To the best of my memory when I went to Chamchuri Sq I did not provide a picture although I had some ready if they asked.  Typically if a picture is required there is a place to paste it on the form.   They did not ask for a rental contract maybe because I provided a copy of my Yellow Book...plus the Thai wife and I own versus rent. And maybe because Chamchuri Sq is my servicing immigration office and had my LTR visa issued there then that was enough proof of residence along with the other docs I provided.  A person just never knows if the immigration office will demand each of the items in the list above OR just some of them.   This Is Thailand.

Regarding the application form I used the one I download from the main Thai immigration website:

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/downloads_en/

Document #22 "Application for Resident Certificate in Thailand" on the download list...below link should take you right to it.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/36.แบบขอหนังสือรับรองถิ่นที่พักอาศัยในประเทศ.doc

But if I remember right when I presented this form at Chamchuri Sq they handed me a "slightly" different version to fill-out....still just a one page form asking for the same info but a ever so slightly different format.  

Yeap....I also have car and motorcycle licenses along with Pink Thai ID Card and Yellow Book....all with my current address.  However, when I bought my new car from BYD in late 2023 (that's why I needed the residence certificate)  and although BYD handles the registration (does it all for you for free...typical for a new car purchase)....even though BYD had a copy of my Pink Thai ID card, Yellow Book, passport, Thai drivers license, and residence certificate to accomplish the registration which should have been more than enough to register the the car "without the DLT having to see/feel/touch my passport I still have to go to DLT in the Chatuchuk area for DLT to copy/touch/feel/smell my passport.  

The BYD dealership had actually said they would probably need to take my passport to Bangkok Chatuchuk  DLT during the registration meaning my passport would be out of my hands for about a week.   I did "not" want to lose control of my passport to BYD or DLT even for a day so I told them I really don't want to do that as the passport is too important.  The BYD dealership then made a few calls and then said I would "not" need to show my actual passport (just a copy) since I had a Pink ID card and Yellow book...so those copies should be enough. 

HOWEVER, about a week into the registration process the BYD dealership called and said Chatuchak DLT "had" to see/feel/touch/smell my passport....make their own copy and see me sign the copy.  The BYD dealership picked me up, drove me to Chatuchak DLT (wow!!!...a huge DLT complex), DLT made their own copy, had me sign the copy, took the passport into some office for about 10 minutes, and then came back with the passport and said all is good now....all of this only took about 30 minutes at DLT since the BYD rep hand massaged my visit.  A few days later I had my car blue book and white license plates. 

Yeap, even though I had enough documentation to choke a horse Chacuchak DLT had to smell/see/touch my passport for a few minutes....I guess that was the only proof they would accept to confirm the copies of my passport were indeed true copies.   Now when I bought a new Toyota back in 2008 here in Bangkok...Toyota did the free registration...made copies of a bunch of stuff to include my passport...I also provide a residence certificate....along with signed copies of my passport and Toyota was able to complete registration without DLT needing to see/smell/touch my passport.  This is Thailand.

Good luck with the car purchase.

Thanks so much Pib. I'll download and fill out the form you note from the Immigration website and have it ready, along with everything else listed barring the unneeded 90 day report. Will be going to Chamchuri Sq as well, hopefully tomorrow morning if I can carve out the time.

Documentation to choke a horse - Pib you aren't kidding! So glad the LTR visa cut out all this on the NonB/work permit extention front, but I guess TIT and you can't escape it entirely.

For those LTR visa holders wondering if they would ever need a TM30 again, requesting a certificate of residence appears to be a case where it's needed.

Car purchase is underway - buying my very old car off my company to clean up its books. Have most of the paperwork together for that/have already contacted the DLT but still need this certificate of residency to complete it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 1tent42 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I’ll guess I’ll find out what is required when I go to CW. 

Did you ever get the LTR visa you applied for?  If so, you should go to Chamchuri Sq Immigration vs CW Immigration.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Misty said:

Thanks so much Pib. I'll download and fill out the form you note from the Immigration website and have it ready, along with everything else listed barring the unneeded 90 day report. Will be going to Chamchuri Sq as well, hopefully tomorrow morning if I can carve out the time.

I did an edit in my earlier post also showing the BOI LTR link for the residence certificate form supposedly used at Chamchuri Sq immigration.  Probably best to use that one vs the main immigration website generic one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The statement below by this tax firm appears to say that we need to wait until the following year after the monies are derived to remit them, for those remittances to be tax exempt. Does anyone know if this is correct? To make it perfectly clear, are monies derived and remitted in the same year, tax exempt or not exempt?

FRANK LEGAL & TAX

PowerPoint 演示文稿 (franklegaltax.com)

For wealthy global citizens, wealthy pensioners and work-from Thailand professionals:

✔ Income tax exemption applies to income derived in a previous tax year from work or business carried out abroad, or from assets located abroad, where such income is brought into Thailand in a fiscal year subsequent to the year in which the income is derived

Edited by JohnnyBD
added

@Misty

When you visit Chamchuri please ask if they will issue a residence certificate my mail which would take a week or two which will also be at a lower cost than Bt500 like when getting a same day certificate. 

When I got my certificate for Bt500 which took less than an hour I'm about 90% sure I asked the Information  Desk on my way out the door after getting the certificate if I could get the certificate by having it mailed to me instead after I applied in person. I was told No on that day.

Since I need to get another certificate in about 6 months to renew my drivers licence if they do issue residence certificate by mailing it out and do it for less than Bt500 I would probably just ask for it to be mailed and hopefully save 300 to 400 baht and also not need to hang around an hour or so to get the certificate. 

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

The statement below by this tax firm appears to say that we need to wait until the following year after the monies are derived to remit them, for those remittances to be tax exempt. Does anyone know if this is correct? To make it perfectly clear, are monies derived and remitted in the same year, tax exempt or not exempt?

FRANK LEGAL & TAX

For wealthy global citizens, wealthy pensioners and work-from Thailand professionals:

✔ Income tax exemption applies to income derived in a previous tax year from work or business carried out abroad, or from assets located abroad, where such income is brought into Thailand in a fiscal year subsequent to the year in which the income is derived

There was an earlier discussion about this with the BOI LTR People saying in essence that any funds remitted after you get your LTR are exempt whilst Royal Decree 743 seems to state earned in the previous year.  

I am being careful and only remitting savings from last and previous years (I have my Australian Bank Balances as at 31.12.23 to show) and my pension income which is tax free via the Australian Thai DTA (I receive a Government Service Pension). 

It will be interesting next year to see how this pans out.  I read the Thai RD is being flooded with fake income and tax certificates asking for refunds.   How they will handle the complexities of DTAs etc will be hard to fathom.  

6 hours ago, Misty said:

Thank you for the clarification!

For the former german tax residents it is important that the 17% income tax rate is not applied as otherwise they would have maybe to pay more taxes in Germany  even if they are no longer tax resident in Germany (erweitert beschränkte Steuerpflicht). So the LTR pensioner visa is perfect as offshore income is tax free and one does not get a preferential income tax rate.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SHA 2 BKK said:

There was an earlier discussion about this with the BOI LTR People saying in essence that any funds remitted after you get your LTR are exempt whilst Royal Decree 743 seems to state earned in the previous year.  

I am being careful and only remitting savings from last and previous years (I have my Australian Bank Balances as at 31.12.23 to show) and my pension income which is tax free via the Australian Thai DTA (I receive a Government Service Pension). 

It will be interesting next year to see how this pans out.  I read the Thai RD is being flooded with fake income and tax certificates asking for refunds.   How they will handle the complexities of DTAs etc will be hard to fathom.  

I am one of those who received an email from the LTR Visa Unit stating that all monies remitted after I received my LTR-WP visa, would be tax exempt. Now, I'm starting to question what the Royal Decree 743 acutally states, if all income is exempt once you get the LTR, or is it just the income remitted in a subsequent year, or if it's only the income in the first year after you receive the LTR-WP visa. I read the english translation posted by someone, and it's not clear to me on any of those points. I guess I will play it safe, and only remit monies derived in the previous year.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Pib said:

Did you ever get the LTR visa you applied for?  If so, you should go to Chamchuri Sq Immigration vs CW Immigration.

Yes, I did.  Thanks for this information. I would’ve been lost. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Pib said:

Not new.  Those documents use to be in the same website location for many months right after the LTR program kicked off...and then they disappeared around six months ago...now they are back again. 

I figured they disappeared because BOI had determined they were unneeded for LTR applicants....overkill in terms of info.  Like #8 seems written for Thai immigration officials to included telling them exactly how the LTR visa stamps must be made....how to enter stamp info...etc.  

Ah - yes, that makes sense, thanks.

10 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

FRANK LEGAL & TAX

I think Frank Legal and Tax don't have a clue.  How many times does BOI have to say money remitted from abroad is exempt from tax.  I prefer to believe BOI not Frank Legal & Tax

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 9:41 AM, sabaiguy said:

It makes perfect sense, unless you think governments are stupid and don't care about giant loopholes that make it easy for people to evade taxes.

The accounting terminology is "deemed disposition".  2nd page bottom right hand side. 

https://ca.rbcwealthmanagement.com/documents/626408/626424/MovingFromCanada.pdf/94fef533-2eab-4bcd-aed8-7d6507e1fc9c

I can only speak for Canada but I would be very surprised if a lot of other G20 countries were not doing the same thing.

Edited by shdmn

7 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

I think Frank Legal and Tax don't have a clue.  How many times does BOI have to say money remitted from abroad is exempt from tax.  I prefer to believe BOI not Frank Legal & Tax

Forgive me for trying to make sure that I won't get hit with a 7 MM baht tax bill next year after remitting monies derived in the same year as remitted. I received one of those emails from the BOI LTR Visa Unit about monies being tax exempt, but after looking at the email more closely, it didn't have an official letter attached, it wasn't signed by anyone, and it had no names on it. It was just a reply email that could have been sent by some low level clerical person with the BOI logo. At the bottom, it had a disclaimer note saying to contact the Revenue Department for further questions. So, I will try to contact the Thai Revenue Department about my questions before remitting big some monies. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MPoll said:

One year report experience 

I did my one year report just now. You can skip the BOI office and go straight to the Immigration office across the hall. I had already filled in my TM95 form at home. Get a queue number. They will send you to the 90 day report room. I got there at 8:45am on a Thursday and there was no line in the 90 day room. As usual, it only took a few minutes to process my report and hand me a receipt with a one year date.

Yea...pretty much the same experience for me when I did my report in Dec 2023.  The front desk gave me a queue number and directed my down the hall to where you suppose to do the report....I didn't know if it was just a desk, a sperate room, etc.  This was just before the lunch hour.  I walked right by the room on the right and I asked someone at desk where to do the 1 year report...they told me to set down and they will get someone to help me.  A few minutes later two ladies showed-up to help me but then with big smiles they pointed me over to the address report room....it was only like 10 steps away but only had a small sign above the door....I convinced myself it can be easy to walk right by.   

So, I now back-track those ten steps and walk into the room which is actually a good sized room once entering with plenty of waiting area seats but only one person was waiting in the room.  I went right to the counter and said I'm here to do my 1 year address report...the officer asked what my queue number was and I showed the queue slip...the officer said that number already been called (like where in the heck had I been when my number had been called!!!) but then took my paperwork.  A few minutes later I'm done and out the door....see you next year.   

I spent more time going from the front desk and trying to find the address report room (which I walked right by the first time...simply didn't see the room) than the time I actually spent in the room having the report processed/approved.   😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, shdmn said:

It makes perfect sense, unless you think governments are stupid and don't care about giant loopholes that make it easy for people to evade taxes.

The accounting terminology is "deemed disposition".  2nd page bottom right hand side. 

https://ca.rbcwealthmanagement.com/documents/626408/626424/MovingFromCanada.pdf/94fef533-2eab-4bcd-aed8-7d6507e1fc9c

I can only speak for Canada but I would be very surprised if a lot of other G20 countries were not doing the same thing.

In close to all countries only realized cap gains are to be taxed. Some consider even this a loophole. Germany does not have an "exit tax" if you own less then 1% of the company.

The list of countries with an expatriation tax is very short and has a lot of loopholes even if the country has an exit tax,  so consider yourself surprised 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriation_tax

NB: I am always suprised that people who are not subject matter experts have a strong opinion about the subject. 😉 no offense

Edited by stat

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

Forgive me for trying to make sure that I won't get hit with a 7 MM baht tax bill next year after remitting monies derived in the same year as remitted. I received one of those emails from the BOI LTR Visa Unit about monies being tax exempt, but after looking at the email more closely, it didn't have an official letter attached, it wasn't signed by anyone, and it had no names on it. It was just a reply email that could have been sent by some low level clerical person with the BOI logo. At the bottom, it had a disclaimer note saying to contact the Revenue Department for further questions. So, I will try to contact the Thai Revenue Department about my questions before remitting big some monies. 

I fully agree with your caution! Pls let us know what TRD answered you. My gut feeling is that the monies are safe but what do I know of the intrinsic working of thai politics, royal degrees and the Thai RD. Hell even when dealing with the german IRS I do not know 50% of the time what will be the final result as the laws are wide open for interpretation, even in Germany with loads of very detailed tax laws. To top it all off even if the law is clear the next day a german court decides the law has to be changed in retrospect or for all open tax declarations and bam (happened several times already).

Edited by stat