LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

and you only report once a year to immigration for a 365 day report.

Any readout on whether or not this may not be necessary, should you never stay in the country more than 365 days? Kinda like, with 90 day reports, if you leave Thailand on day 89 of your permission of stay, no 90 day report needed. And the 90 day clock resets upon reentry to Thailand. Same logic, I would think, would apply to this situation, i.e., leave Thailand on day 364 and no 365 day report needed (heck, you wouldn't be here to do it anyway). Then, a new 365 day clock starts upon reentry.

For those of us who never travel, this annual report certainly would need to be done, but if it can be done online, or by mail, so that no trip to Imm is required, then, no big deal.

For travelers, being out of the country when your five year anniversary occurs, requiring a trip to BoI Bangkok to show again your bonafides -- would need a waiver of some kind. Obviously, they can't require you to be in country at the five year mark.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

For travelers, being out of the country when your five year anniversary occurs, requiring a trip to BoI Bangkok to show again your bonafides -- would need a waiver of some kind. Obviously, they can't require you to be in country at the five year mark.....

What would be the difference with your current 1 year visa/extension of stay.  Say you have to leave at the 10 month point before you could apply for another 1 year extension and then you couldn't get back until say 1 or 2 months after your extension expired.  You would have to start all over with a new visa/extension.  Expiration dates suck.

But I do hope since this LTR is 5 + 5 visa that they would allow some leniency/special handling on renewing at the mid point....but then again maybe not.

Edited by Pib

12 hours ago, Pib said:

For those of you which have been following this new LTR Visa much closer than I, do you have any intel/knowledge of how many LTR Visa's have been "approved/issued" so far?   When you log into your LTR acct the first pages shows a running count of SMART visas approved over the last few years and that count is only 625.  But I don't see anything talking the number LTR Visas approved.

I expect the BOI is still far, far short of the 1 million over 5 years which started 1 Sep 2022.  The Thai govt has stated they hope to issue one million LTR visas over 5 years which stated 1 Sep 2022.  That's 200K LTR visas per year. 

Since there is around 250 business days in every 365 day calendar year then 200,000 divided by 250 this means the BOI would have receive and approve on average 800 LTR visas "per business day."   I'd be surprised if they are approving more than a 5 to 10 per day.

Just to supplement the statement I bolded above regarding the SMART Visa program that kicked off in 2018 from a 21 Aug 2022 Bangkok Bank news article I just stumbled across it said since 2018 there have been approx 1,200 SMART Visas issued. 

Now, I don't know how many zillion the govt was initially estimating to apply for the SMART visa when announcing it 4 years ago but business day-wise over 4 years that works out to a little over 1 SMART Visa (or 1.2 more accurately) approved per BOI business day.   

I wonder if the LTR Visa program will do any better.  IMO I think it will not get anywhere close to the 1 million over 5 years (200K per year) the govt has estimated mostly due to the income requirement being too high and the insurance requirement which isn't very flexible (most likely due to the insurance mafia lobbying).   If the govt wants to reach a 1 million LTR visa issued they need to lower the income requirement and add much more flexibility in acceptable medical insurance.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

Any readout on whether or not this may not be necessary, should you never stay in the country more than 365 days? Kinda like, with 90 day reports, if you leave Thailand on day 89 of your permission of stay, no 90 day report needed. And the 90 day clock resets upon reentry to Thailand. Same logic, I would think, would apply to this situation, i.e., leave Thailand on day 364 and no 365 day report needed (heck, you wouldn't be here to do it anyway). Then, a new 365 day clock starts upon reentry.

For those of us who never travel, this annual report certainly would need to be done, but if it can be done online, or by mail, so that no trip to Imm is required, then, no big deal.

Yes, the BoI has said that the LTR annual report works the same as the 90 day report - the calendar restarts every time you leave the country.  So if you never stay in Thailand for more than 365 days, you never have to do the LTR annual report. 

Wonder if you get an extra day in leap years?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The LTR application website is really slow, glitchy today (25 Oct/Tueday morning) when completing/editing/viewing your application.  When hitting Save between pages it can sometimes take 30 seconds before moving to the next page....one time I got a time-out notice.  I'm right here in Bangkok on an AIS Fibre 500Mb speed connection.   

And when I first logged on today it didn't show my Draft Application which I had been tweaking for a week....in fact, no application was showing.  So, I log off and log back on again and now the application is showing.  Then while working on the application it created a duplicated application but with missing data.  And then by mistake I deleted my original draft instead of the duplicate draft...and that duplicate draft was missing a lot of data.

So, I delete that remaining draft and started from ground zero and reentered the application from scratch but the system was very slow during that process.  I've got it reentered with all the attachments/uploads and I've double/tripled checked it, but will wait until later today to submit if the their system seems to be back to normal speed.  Yeap, I've never seen it this slow, glitchy as this Tuesday morning.....maybe overloaded with people checking on status.

And just for those who haven't created a LTR online acct the completion of the "basic" online application form is easy. 

Most of your time spent on completing the LTR application will be "putting together the supporting docs to upload like proof of income, medical, etc."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

And when I first logged on today it didn't show my Draft Application which I had been tweaking for a week....

If you can avoid it, it would probably be better not to finetune anything on the website, but actually only start entering/uploading things once you are absolutely fine with them.  Even if not pressing submit, the website might well keep records of all the changes and then the BOI might wonder why initially maybe you presented some things entirely differently

Yea...the only place I did significant fine tuning was in the income and medical docs to be uploaded and a couple of memos.  They got uploaded this morning with my new draft application...and those attachments had never been uploaded before.

Edited by Pib

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Got my visa stamped this morning. Just a few details that may be useful. The expiry date of the visa is October 17 2032, the date of the BOI letter of approval plus 10 years.

Congratulations.  How long did the whole process take for you....that is, when did you first submit your application?

Edit: Never mind....from scanning back thru this entire thread I found  posts where you said you submitted your application on 4 Sep with the BOI notifying your of approval on 5 Oct.

Edited by Pib

On 10/19/2022 at 3:15 PM, Boomer6969 said:

Well, they didn't really like my open ended Cigna/UN insurance, because it doesn't show an expiry date. So I sent them some statements from my accounts back in Geneva. That made them happier, but they asked me to provide documents for the bank accounts as well as the insurance. Liked it as it demonstrated a degree of flexibility I was accustomed to after my 7 "Thai Wife" extensions of stay.

Well, that gives me hope for my LTR application where I have listed as my medical coverage Tricare, a U.S. military health coverage plan for active duty troops, dependents, and retirees.  I'm a military retire and have been using Tricare while retired to Thailand....works great...world coverage.

From looking at the type of insurance you have (United Nations After Service Health Insurance) which you mentioned in one of your earlier posts and above posts it seems to be similar to the U.S. military "Tricare" medical coverage.   And for military retirees 65 and over it's called "Tricare for Life" which provides worldwide coverage but you must have Medicare Part B....must be paying Part B premium (which I am) to retain Tricare for Life.  I think that is similar to your UN insurance.   There is no expiration date on the Tricare for Life health coverage and is basically unlimited coverage.   Guess I set back now and wait and see what happens.

5 hours ago, Misty said:

Update: just received the BoI Notification Letter to apply for LTR e-visa today.  Have submitted the LTR e-visa application and now waiting for US consulate to process and issue.

Some notes for other applicants:

1) Submitted pre-screen mid-Aug, application 2 Sep, received approval 10 Oct, received LTR Notification Letter 25 Oct.

2) BoI is a pleasure to deal with.

3) Unfortunately though BoI has been overly optimistic on timeframes almost the entire way. Also gave some wrong information which ended up delaying things.

4) US consulate says 7-15 days to process e-visa application (much longer than BoI's optimistic "1-2 days" or "2-3 days" 

5) Have asked US consulate for consideration to speed up process if at all possible.  All these delays are not at all their fault, of course. However, we're a long way from the initial timeframes BoI was suggesting.  I had thought 2 1/2 months should have been long enough to allow even for delays, but I may need to purchase a new airline ticket soon.

5) E-visa payment system (KBANK Worldpay) remains very difficult. Only 1 of 5 of my various debit & credit cards would work to make payment. My US credit cards suspected fraud.  Even a KBANK debit card rejected the system.

Will update when I get the e-visa

Misty, which US Consulate did you go through?  How much are they charging?  Can you please confirm that with the e-visa you don't have to visit the Consulate?  Thanks.  I have written to the LA Consulate and they are non-responsive. 

33 minutes ago, pepper402 said:

Misty, which US Consulate did you go through?  How much are they charging?  Can you please confirm that with the e-visa you don't have to visit the Consulate?  Thanks.  I have written to the LA Consulate and they are non-responsive. 

33 minutes ago, pepper402 said:

Hi Pepper, I have to use NY Consulate due to my location.  The cost is $1600 per 10 year visa. The only way I've been able to communicate with them is by FB messaging. 

I've received NonB e-visas before and can confirm that you do not visit the Consulate. You'll get an email with the e-visa as an attachment.  I printed off the NonB e-visa and gave a copy of it to the IO at the airport. He stamped me in for 90 days (length of that visa), noting "NonB e-visa" in writing. 

For commication, suggest trying FB messaging with LA consulate.  Last year I did once get to talk to someone there after spending an afternoon on hold, but didn't learn much in the call and I don't recommend that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pepper402 said:

Yes, this consulate issue can be difficult if your home is not in their area. Some consulates are not yet handling the LTR, and it seems like they do check your registered address proof.

On 10/14/2022 at 11:03 PM, Pib said:

That is good news because I expect a lot of people do have more than 100K USD in "investment" type accts like 401K/IRA/mutual funds/etc., vs keeping high amounts in "bank" accts.   

And since the BOI LTR requirement is the 100K USD balance has been available for at least 12 months before the LTR application since investment type acct balances typically are left alone by the person up till retirement and then "slowly" drawn down after retirement IMO that makes it more likely at least 100K USD would be setting in the acct for "many" years whereas a bank acct balance is more likely to vary a lot.  

The BOI requirement also says that 100K is suppose to be in a "bank" acct for at least 12 months before applying but hopefully BOI's definition of a bank acct also includes investment accts since money in most investment accts can be withdrawn quickly to pay bills like a big hospital bill.  

Definitely update us if you do get final, final approval...it definitely sounds positive. Thanks.

Regarding this $100k in savings in lieu of insurance, because of my insurance renewal date limited window to prove 10 months, I am thinking of this option instead, and wonder if that money can also be in a Thai bank in Baht equivalent? If anyone has any information on that it would be appreciated.

On 10/24/2022 at 11:13 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Thai style house for that price. Looking at plenty of rentals down there through the past 3 years and the cheapest was 25k a month for a 3 bed 3 bath townhouse in Huai Kwang.  Everything else, house wise is above 50k and then you have the single story Thai style house 1bed 1 bath which has barely any furniture and really no kitchen for between 6k-8k Thb. Found this one for 12k, but you need to add all of your own furnishings.  Not doubting you as anything is possible yet I find it very hard to believe.  Now a 25sqm condo, oh hell yes it is doable, but I have never seen a house at the prices you list unless it is total Thai style.

https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/ads/a1l7lcul18cuehcn4l280t3093c9n318.

To rent a house of any standard with furniture will run you more than your indicating, and then I would not live anywhere near where the house I listed is........

This one would need you to add furniture and misc. and is 35 K a month.

https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/listings/bangkok-house-todrfpxs

I believe you are trolling.

i,m talking unfurnished, waste of time looking on the internet, just find a property advertised with a sign or ask the local noodle shop then speak to the owner, 

first house i rented was in prawet.. brand new 2 bedroom 5k per month... i enjoy moving every 3-4 years,

I need a garden because i own a dog.

Edited by tingtongfarang

On 10/23/2022 at 5:07 PM, aublumberg said:

(2) In the status page there is an acronym for the BOI staff handling your case, it reads e.g. StaffBoI1147. The last four digits are the phone extension of the person handling your case. They are organised by each of the four LTR visa types so in above example you can call the case handling officer under +6622091147 (replace last four digits accordingly). Forget about sending an email to them to check the status. Always call. If they don't pick up then call again until you get through. Super friendly and accommodating and the best communication channel.

Does anybody know how to identify and call the BoI staff handling the case if the StaffBoI number is only three-digit, not four-digit (i.e. e.g. "StaffBoI 002", not "StaffBoi 1102")?  Since Bangkok phone numbers are 7-digits after the country and area code, it cannot be +66 2 209 xxx

Edited by K2938

4 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Does anybody know how to identify and call the BoI staff handling the case if the StaffBoI number is only three-digit, not four-digit (i.e. e.g. "StaffBoI 002", not "StaffBoi 1102")?

These numbers worked for me +6622091141, +6622091147, +6622091149 but not sure how 002 would map. Could always try one of these three and ask to be transferred. Some even communicate by Line once you made contact.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pepper402 said:

I think I am going to go ahead and try the Tokyo Embassy for this, even though their website does not show anything on LTR yet. I will start my application on first of December and will inform anyone who might be interested in how this goes in Japan with the consulate method.

3 hours ago, K2938 said:

Does anybody know how to identify and call the BoI staff handling the case if the StaffBoI number is only three-digit, not four-digit (i.e. e.g. "StaffBoI 002", not "StaffBoi 1102")?  Since Bangkok phone numbers are 7-digits after the country and area code, it cannot be +66 2 209 xxx

Yea...."today" mine is only a 3 digit also (004)....but yesterday when I submitted the application it was 1128.  Guess that means the application has moved from one BOI staff member to another.  But the status still shows Pending just as yesterday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea...."today" mine is only a 3 digit also (004)....but yesterday when I submitted the application it was 1128.

Glad to hear this because I thought maybe this is like the code of the secretary sending out the declined letters who does not have her own telephone number ????

• Like 1

The competition in Indonesia is not sleeping.  New long-term Bali visa just announced for those having at least 130 000 USD in a bank account.  Makes the conditions of the LTR visa look very onerous and the price of Thailand Elite extremely high in comparison

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-26/new-visa-to-let-tourists-with-130-000-live-in-bali-for-10-years

https://www.imigrasi.go.id/en/2022/10/25/siaran-pers-ditjen-imigrasi-resmi-luncurkan-aturan-second-home-visa/

Edited by K2938

23 minutes ago, K2938 said:

The competition in Indonesia is not sleeping.  New long-term Bali visa just announced for those having at least 130 000 USD in a bank account at the time of application.  Makes the conditions of the LTR visa look very onerous and the price of Thailand Elite extremely high in comparison

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-26/new-visa-to-let-tourists-with-130-000-live-in-bali-for-10-years

https://www.imigrasi.go.id/id/2022/10/25/siaran-pers-ditjen-imigrasi-resmi-luncurkan-aturan-second-home-visa/?fbclid=IwAR2u4cEpb9ar4NzfZCwhd9r-q4uBkAEiRYcBJu5MZXfLVW99bbCdoEXEotQ

Yeap...the article says all that's needed is  130K USD equivalent  deposited in an Indonesian state-owned bank (not any old bank of your choosing), 4x6cm photo, CV, and a passport with at least 3 years remaining. No mention of a medical insurance requirement.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1