LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

55 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

You didn't mention that LTR retirees can apply for a work permit, and that income from overseas isn't income taxed.

You are correct, that is something a TE visa holder can not get. Another bonus.

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 hours ago, K2938 said:

That is good, however Jeff Bezos would still be in trouble.  Amazon.com Inc. does not pay any dividends.  So his about $150 BN worth coming from his holdings in Amazon would still not make it

I am sure he pays himself a salary.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

You didn't mention that LTR retirees can apply for a work permit, and that income from overseas isn't income taxed.

For highly-skilled professionals, the 17% flat tax rate is indeed a tax benefit under the LTR visa.  For the non-working LTR visa groups including retirees, overseas income is not really taxed in Thailand anyway unless remitted in the year it was earned:

"Highly skilled professional holding an LTR visa will be taxed at the flat rate of 17% and benefit from a tax exemption for overseas income. Thailand Elite does not have such incentives; however it is to note that Thai tax law already exempts taxation on overseas incomes as long as they are not transferred to Thailand within the same fiscal year as they have been generated."

(https://thaielite-express.com/thailand-long-term-residence-visa/)

Edited by K2938

14 hours ago, K2938 said:

For the non-working LTR visa groups including retirees, overseas income is not really taxed in Thailand anyway unless remitted in the year it was earned:

Correct, but I appreciate the added flexibility  I get from the  full exemption. 

Anyhow, at 70  and not overly healthy I feel like I got PR, all of a sudden, without any sacrifice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For those who have LTR application processing or already approved approximately how long was it "from the day you submitted your application" until you saw some type of tangible status change in your LTR online acct and/or got a notification/email from BOI asking for more docs or something along those lines.  Just some type of status change that indicated your application was actually being reviewed/processed "versus just setting in a BOI rep's inbox" pending processing.

I submitted my application earlier this week and the only change I've noticed is the day after I submitted the application the staff name changed from StaffBOI1128 to StaffBOI004.  I'm assuming this was just movement of application from the master inbox that receives all new application to a specific BOI rep inbox.  Other than that my application just shows a Status of "Pending" and under the LTR menu the popup message that says "Visa is process considering, Please check the status tab."

I know the BOI says they will process your application within 20 "business" days which is around a calendar month. From review of this thread (a couple of times) it seems to be a couple of weeks before a person sees some tangible change that  his/her application is under serious evaluation....actually moving along the assembly line.  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

For those who have LTR application processing or already approved approximately how long was it "from the day you submitted your application" until you saw some type of tangible status change in your LTR online acct and/or got a notification/email from BOI asking for more docs or something along those lines.  Just some type of status change that indicated your application was actually being reviewed/processed "versus just setting in a BOI rep's inbox" pending processing.

I submitted my application earlier this week and the only change I've noticed is the day after I submitted the application the staff name changed from StaffBOI1128 to StaffBOI004.  I'm assuming this was just movement of application from the master inbox that receives all new application to a specific BOI rep inbox.  Other than that my application just shows a Status of "Pending" and under the LTR menu the popup message that says "Visa is process considering, Please check the status tab."

I know the BOI says they will process your application within 20 "business" days which is around a calendar month. From review of this thread (a couple of times) it seems to be a couple of weeks before a person sees some tangible change that  his/her application is under serious evaluation....actually moving along the assembly line.  Thanks.

Applied for the LTRWP on September 2nd, approved on the 20th I believe, submitted location for affixation, did not hear back in the 2 day window. I just had the notification under the bell above my login to make appointment. I could not use tge system to make the appointment so I called in and made it. I listed this in my followup I posted. Affixation of visa stamp was October 7th.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Applied for the LTRWP on September 2nd, approved on the 20th I believe...

Thanks.  But what was your 1st indication after 2 Sep that your application was indeed moving along the BOI review line.  Maybe a status change....some notification/email from BOI, etc.  Thanks again,

43 minutes ago, Pib said:

I submitted my application on October 7, and haven't seen any change at all as of now. There were three holidays during that period, though, so technically only about 12 business days have elapsed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Pib said:

I would take this as a positive, not negative sign.  If there were major immediately obvious fatal flaws with your application, they would have told you by now.  So no news is good news at this point of time.  They are doing whatever needs to be doing.  No reason to worry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all. I'm at the paperwork-gathering stage, and I requested a letter from my Health insurance carrier this week (AFPSA-Aetna). They were very nice and have promptly issued me a very good certificate that under other circumstances would probably do its job (say, with a medical provider or hospital). It includes the date my coverage started a few years back, that it is "continuing", and makes clear mentions of what is covered, that it is covered abroad, and that there is "no dollar limit" on it.

As expected, the carrier would not budge on putting an actual expiration or "good 'til" date on it, and for good reasons; they invoked legal of course, and because I'm not locked into the carrier more than a year at a time and have the option to change at the end of each year, I see their point. I have therefore nothing to complain about here, but from reading this thread, and since the BOI paperwork seems to firmly require a start and expiry date, I'm not too optimistic about the insurance policy thingy and I'm thinking about filing both the insurance certificate and the 100K paperwork and be done with it (hopefully).

NW

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

05 Sep 2022 submitted application online for a LTR WFTP (LTR-T)
26 Sep 2022 request for additional documents but actually everything was already provided correctly
04 Oct 2022 email approval received
14 Oct 2022 received Notification Letter for Qualifications Endorsement
20 Oct 2022 picked up visa in passport at the Royal Thai Consulate in Hong Kong

Interesting they asked for additional docs...but apparently docs you had already provided?  If it had been a snake it would have bit them?

On 10/28/2022 at 2:00 PM, K2938 said:

That is good, however Jeff Bezos would still be in trouble.  Amazon.com Inc. does not pay any dividends.  So his about $150 BN worth coming from his holdings in Amazon would still not make it

My guess is a guy like Bezos - no fool - owns more than just Amazon shares.  And of course, he has to pay for his ultra-highend lifestyle with cashflow from somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

whereas going the self-insure method requires maintaining $100K in an acct (which some people would prefer to do)

I don’t think there are many people who would “prefer”

to have $100K in a bank account earning < 1% interest (or losing approx 9% pa if you take 10% inflation).

I don’t see why your Social Security cover wouldn’t be accepted but if for some reason it wasn’t, wouldn’t you be financially better off buying a new policy… E.G I have the Pacific Cross Visa Friendly policy $100K cover for 27K pa (no outpatients & 200K deductible) for a 56yr old which is around 0.71% of the 3.8Million in the bank.

Obviously not everybody can get insurance cover but if you can then it would seem to make more sense than tying the money up.

Edited by Mike Teavee

45 minutes ago, Pib said:

[…] going the self-insure method requires maintaining $100K in an acct […]

It’s a one time check at time of LTR application (plus presumably the renewal application after five years). No “maintaining in an account” requirement.

Edited by aublumberg
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

It’s a one time check at time of LTR application (pls presumably the renewal application after five years). No “maintaining in an account” requirement.

Yea...understand....just ensure you have the money for 2 of the 10 years.  But with my insurance I don't have to be concerned about 100K USD....just continue to pay the monthly insurance premium which is deducted automatically from one of my pensions.....it all on autopilot.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

This triggered a lot of controversy in the local news this week. Potentially a very significant added LTR perk for those interested in it.

https://www.nationthailand.comhttps//www.nationthailand.com/thailand/policies/40021513

Only foreigners qualifying for Long-Term Resident (LTR) visa will be allowed to buy up to 1 rai of land, the government announced on Friday to clarify the confusion.

I think this is correct link to the article.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/policies/40021513

Also, there was an article in today's/29 Oct Bangkok Post saying the Pheu Thai Party party opposed this 1 Rai ownership idea....the party which could very well be the dominant party in the next election.

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

This triggered a lot of controversy in the local news this week. Potentially a very significant added LTR perk for those interested in it.

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/thailand/policies/40021513

Only foreigners qualifying for Long-Term Resident (LTR) visa will be allowed to buy up to 1 rai of land, the government announced on Friday to clarify the confusion.

"According to Mr Anucha, the land slated for foreign ownership should be located in Bangkok, the Pattaya area, the municipalities of all provinces nationwide

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2422513/cabinet-backs-expats-owning-land. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved."

Would that include Ko Samui then? It's on the Wikipedia page of Thai Municipalities