LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

39 minutes ago, Pib said:

Update:  LTR Approvals as of 1 Nov 2022 based on posts in this thread I saw....may have missed some...please speak-up if you have been approved.

Poster & Date Approval Notice Rec'd

1.  ThailandRyan  28 Sep

2.  pepper402  29 Sep

3.  gajah  30 Sep

4.  mudcat  4 Oct

5.  Misty   4 Oct

6.  stuarty  4 Oct

7.  Boomer6969   5 Oct

8.   BKKNono  15 Sep

9.  Alotoftravel  4 Oct

10. aublumberg 12 Oct

Do you want to add a column for the date the Visa was placed into the passport and then the date stamped for those entering from outside of Thailand?

I am considering applying for the LTR Visa (Wealthy Pensioner) and I have a question about purchasing Thai Government bonds (to be a Thai investment) to qualify to apply for the LTR visa.

I am currently on a 45-day Visa exempt, waiting for a Type-O that I applied for to be approved (I am supposed to go to immigration on the day after my 45-day Visa exempt permission to stay expires). Assuming I obtain the the Type-O in the 3rd week of November, that will give me a permission to stay until sometime in January (if the permission to stay is measured from my application date).

Hence I am thinking to apply for the LTR Visa as soon as I get the Type-O visa.  

I don't meet the $80K US$ equivalent per year retirement income for a wealthy Pensioner (as my pension source is Europe and the Euro has dropped significantly, bringing my retirement income below that $80K US equivalent criteria).   I do meet the $40K US$ equivalent.   

Hence as a retiree I am considering the $40K US equivalent per year, plus a $250K US equivalent investment in Thailand.

My 50% share of the condo unit I own in Thailand is not enough to meet the $250K US equivalent, so likely I will need to purchase about 2.5-million of Thai government bonds to be assured of meeting the $250K US (with some extra margin).

Any recommendations as to the best bank to buy Thai government bonds ?  My understanding is neither Krungsri nor Bangkok bank (where I have bank accounts) support such purchases, and further I may have to purchase via a secondary market - as opposed to waiting for buying on the issue date.

I suspect it not necessary to go for a 10-year bond term (ie 5-year term, followed by buying again in 5-years) although possibly a 10-year term is easiest if one is not concerned about tying up that amount of money (where I am not concerned about typing up such amounts). 

I also was told foreigners are limited to 2-million Thai baht worth of Thai government bonds, although I suspect that is limited to a specific series of bonds ?? < not sure > . I want to purchase 2.5 million (so to have margin in case of further Thai baht drops vs US$).

For the moderators - if this is in the wrong forum area, please feel free to move, or to simply delete, with a suggestion of a better location to post such a query.  I am happy to start a new thread on this topic.

Edited by oldcpu

16 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I don't meet the $80K US$ equivalent per year retirement income for a wealthy Pensioner (as my pension source is Europe and the Euro has dropped significantly, bringing my retirement income below that $80K US equivalent criteria).   I do meet the $40K US$ equivalent.

1) The BOI does not use current exchange rates, but the average rates published on its website with 0.85 EUR = 1 USD.  Maybe worthwhile checking if this reduces your money gap.

2) Buying Thai government bonds is not really the best of all investments so maybe worthwhile thinking about if you really want/need the LTR visa or should not stay with Non-O.
LTR Exchange

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I am considering applying for the LTR Visa (Wealthy Pensioner) and I have a question about purchasing Thai Government bonds (to be a Thai investment) to qualify to apply for the LTR visa.

I am currently on a 45-day Visa exempt, waiting for a Type-O that I applied for to be approved (I am supposed to go to immigration on the day after my 45-day Visa exempt permission to stay expires). Assuming I obtain the the Type-O in the 3rd week of November, that will give me a permission to stay until sometime in January (if the permission to stay is measured from my application date).

Hence as a retiree I am considering the $40K US equivalent per year, plus a $250K US equivalent investment in Thailand.

My 50% share of the condo unit I own in Thailand is not enough to meet the $250K US equivalent, so likely I will need to purchase about 2.5-million of Thai government bonds to be assured of meeting the $250K US (with some extra margin).

Any recommendations as to the best bank to buy Thai government bonds ?  My understanding is neither Krungsri nor Bangkok bank (where I have bank accounts) support such purchases, and further I may have to purchase via a secondary market - as opposed to waiting for buying on the issue date.

I suspect it not necessary to go for a 10-year bond term (ie 5-year term, followed by buying again in 5-years) although possibly a 10-year term is easiest if one is not concerned about tying up that amount of money (where I am not concerned about typing up such amounts). 

I also was told foreigners are limited to 2-million Thai baht worth of Thai government bonds, although I suspect that is limited to a specific series of bonds ?? < not sure > . I want to purchase 2.5 million (so to have margin in case of further Thai baht drops vs US$).

For the moderators - if this is in the wrong forum area, please feel free to move, or to simply delete, with a suggestion of a better location to post such a query.  I am happy to start a new thread on this topic.

Do you not have some type of 401k or annuity that's built up to an amount which would offset the pension and get you to the 80k usd?

37 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you not have some type of 401k or annuity that's built up to an amount which would offset the pension and get you to the 80k usd?

No - my substantial savings are outside of such a plan.

42 minutes ago, K2938 said:

1) The BOI does not use current exchange rates, but the average rates published on its website with 0.85 EUR = 1 USD.  Maybe worthwhile checking if this reduces your money gap.

2) Buying Thai government bonds is not really the best of all investments so maybe worthwhile thinking about if you really want/need the LTR visa or should not stay with Non-O.

Correct me please if I am wrong, but Thai Government bonds are NOT being purchased for their interest, although obviously that is a secondary consideration, but rather to show an investment in Thailand.  Bonds issued in other countries are simply not accepted to qualify for a Wealthy Pensioner (who uses the $40K US pension criteria) as part of the $250K US equivalent investment in Thailand.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I haven't seen it confirmed one way or the other but my understanding was that any investment needed would have to be new money brought into Thailand so your existing investment in a Condo wouldn't count. 

If that is the case then $250K is approx. 9.4million thb. 

Also you should get your Non-Imm O visa before your Visa Exempt entry expires but it should be good for 3 months from the date your Visa Exempt expires. 

If you're using an agent to assist with the conversion to Non-Imm O then they typically get you your 1st 12 month extension as part of the process (I.e. You get 15 months permission to stay) - Typical cost to do this (In Pattaya ) is approx. 25K 

Edited by Mike Teavee

30 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I haven't seen it confirmed one way or the other but my understanding was that any investment needed would have to be new money brought into Thailand so your existing investment in a Condo wouldn't count. 

If that is the case then $250K is approx. 9.4million thb. 

I will need to obtain clarification on that.  I could but I have no desire to purchase $250K US$ equivalent (9.4m THB) in Thai bonds (nor purchase any more real estate than what I already own).    So if I had to buy more bonds than the 2.5m THB, it would change the ball game for me.   2.5m THB would be ok ... but much more than that and I prefer to have the money more fluid to use elsewhere.

Also you should get your Non-Imm O visa before your Visa Exempt entry expires but it should be good for 3 months from the date your Visa Exempt expires. 

That's interesting. This will be my first non-imm Type-O. Previous I had a Type-OA.  Hopefully the 90-day Type-O expiry won't complicate my travel plans (to leave Thailand with a re-entry stamp on the permission to stay, leaving for 2 weeks) in the 2nd/3rd week of February-2023. 

If I don't go for the 10-year LTR then I am probably going for a 1-year extension of the Type-O based on retirement, applying end-January-2023.

If you're using an agent to assist with the conversion to Non-Imm O then they typically get you your 1st 12 month extension as part of the process (I.e. You get 15 months permission to stay) - Typical cost to do this (In Pattaya ) is approx. 25K 

I'm not using an agent ... and I have no desire to do so, BUT I have friends in Pattaya who always use an agent.  An agent saves them the hassle of a long day or two at immigration, where Murphy's Law says without an agent, one could be unlucky to be at immigration for many hours on a crowded and hot day. The older one gets, the more unpleasant that becomes.  From what they tell me, they pay closer to 15K.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Based on the BOI announcement it must be an investment that occurred "before" your LTR application.  No mention that "before" had to be many years before or a very recent before...just says "before the date of LTR application."   To me that means whether the investment like a condo buy occurred yesterday or long before (many years) the LTR application then that investment would meet the requirement of "before" LTR application.

https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/Announcement_of the Office of the Board of Investment No.2-2565 (EN).pdf

image.png.a1717bbfe6e55efbacae29f40c6d83ad.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Correct me please if I am wrong, but Thai Government bonds are NOT being purchased for their interest, although obviously that is a secondary consideration, but rather to show an investment in Thailand. 

Indeed.  But you need to look at the opportunity cost of doing something else with your money instead of buying Thai government bonds.  And in view of this, the non-O retirement is the better option for most pensioners who due to lack of sufficiently high income/sufficiently valuable Thai property would need to buy government bonds.  But it is of course your choice what you do with your hard-earned money.

36 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I will need to obtain clarification on that.  I could but I have no desire to purchase $250K US$ equivalent (9.4m THB) in Thai bonds (nor purchase any more real estate than what I already own).    So if I had to buy more bonds than the 2.5m THB, it would change the ball game for me.   2.5m THB would be ok ... but much more than that and I prefer to have the money more fluid to use elsewhere.

That's interesting. This will be my first non-imm Type-O. Previous I had a Type-OA.  Hopefully the 90-day Type-O expiry won't complicate my travel plans (to leave Thailand with a re-entry stamp on the permission to stay, leaving for 2 weeks) in the 2nd/3rd week of February-2023. 

You should have problems as long as you remember to get the re-entry permit before leaving, but you really should do your conversion to a Non-IMM O before the Visa Exempt arrives (IIRC you need 15 days left on your permission to stay to apply for one, otherwise you'll need a 30 day extension & apply during that - apologies if this is me "Teaching my grandma to suck eggs" ????   

The 15K (normally 12.5K) is to do a 12 month extension if you don't have the 800K in the bank (it's 8K if you do), but converting to a Non-Imm O Visa & getting a 12 month extension (so you get 15 months permission to stay) is a lot more work for the agent so costs 25K upwards. 

46 minutes ago, Pib said:

Based on the BOI announcement it must be an investment that occurred "before" your LTR application.  No mention that "before" had to be many years before or a very recent before...just says "before the date of LTR application."   To me that means whether the investment like a condo buy occurred yesterday or long before (many years) the LTR application then that investment would meet the requirement of "before" LTR application.

https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/Announcement_of the Office of the Board of Investment No.2-2565 (EN).pdf

image.png.a1717bbfe6e55efbacae29f40c6d83ad.png

Thanks for posting this, I read

"Fixed personal income less than USD 80,000 per year but not less than USD 40,000 per year as of the date of application; and investment in Thailand in the name of the applicant of at least USD 250,000 and holding ownership in one or more of the following investments"

to mean that as you would need to invest an additional $250K plus already have an existing investment in Thailand.

Though always best to double check as things can get "Lost in Translation". 

Edited by Mike Teavee

Any recommendations as to the best bank to buy Thai government bonds ?  My understanding is neither Krungsri nor Bangkok bank (where I have bank accounts) support such purchases, and further I may have to purchase via a secondary market - as opposed to waiting for buying on the issue date.

I took a quick look at the Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank websites.  The Bangkok Bank website shows they sell government savings bonds....didn't see anything for Krungsri.  Below partial snapshot from Bangkok Bank talks the bonds.  

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Investment/Bonds-and-Debentures

image.png.23168d150c8a99faf21c6b09900932fa.png

Now, I didn't see anything talking about whether the bonds could be bought by foreigners also as sometimes certain types of govt bonds are limited to Thai citizens.   When going to the Bank of Thailand website regarding bonds to me it indicates "anyone living in Thailand" (like a farang on long term visa) could buy the buys during the open period.  Recommend you check with Bangkok Bank as to what govt bonds they could sell  you.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/DebtSecurities/SalestoIndividuals/Pages/default.aspx

image.png.e70b25f666c2290bfac15b8b3cceb53d.png a

On 10/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, BKKNono said:

Here is my timeline (and it's not very encouraging...):

- Requested pre-screening review on Aug 16th

- Received pre-screening reply "acceptable documents,  go ahead with your application" on Aug 30th after asking for an update on the 29th.

- Applied on September 1st

- Received request on Sep 5th for passport picture and local Thai insurance certificate with the 50,000 USD coverage (I have local IPD  for 2M Baht)

- Received 1st approval on Sep 15th.

- Managed to book an appointment via the website for the 22nd (all forms were in Thai asking for current visa in Thailand)

- Received a second approval email on Sep 21st (Same forms in Thai to book the appointment, booked again for the 22nd and downloaded Appointment Confirmation and Endorsement Letter).

- Here comes the fun part: The Booking Appointment confirmation and Endorsement Letter were having the wrong dates. I still went to BOI on Sep 22nd...

- A BOI representative brought someone from their IT team to explain me they're having a system glitch and I shouldn't have been able to book the appointment yet. Then  I've been told they're not ready to affix the LTR visa yet and I should wait for an update 1 week later.

- Well it's been a long wait since then, no update, nothing, nada.

I understand it's a new visa, but designing a stable IT system should have been done ahead of the bells & whistles "Please apply we're ready!"

Of the posters who have been approved so far I think you hold the record for quick approval....only 14 calendar/10 business days.....a mere one-third of the time it taking most folks to get initial notice of approval. 

Your application must have pleased BOI to the extreme.....hit all of their gates just at the right time.  But if you used some type of "special sauce" or "magical spell" on your application please let us know your secret.????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Your application must have pleased BOI to the extreme.....hit all of their gates just at the right time.  But if you used some type of "special sauce" or "magical spell" on your application please let us know your secret.

Add the pre-screening time and it comes to about a month as well

6 hours ago, oldcpu said:

For your question about purchasing a Thai government bond, I know of a case where the BoI apparently suggested a contact at KBANK to an applicant, and the applicant was able to purchase the Thai gov't bond.  It was not a new issue, but an existing bond that KBANK either held on its books or that it was able to access from one of their customers in the secondary market. Suggest asking BoI for the contact details of that KBANK bond trader..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Add the pre-screening time and it comes to about a month as well

Yea...I saw that prescreening time for BKKNono but remembered you also did a prescreening in mid Aug, then submitted your application on 2 Sep, but didn't get approval till 10 Oct which works out to a month and one week....quite a bit longer than BKKNono's 2 week approval time.   I'm hoping he tells us his secret to swift approval....but then it wouldn't be a secret no more.  ????

2 hours ago, Misty said:

For your question about purchasing a Thai government bond, I know of a case where the BoI apparently suggested a contact at KBANK to an applicant, and the applicant was able to purchase the Thai gov't bond.  It was not a new issue, but an existing bond that KBANK either held on its books or that it was able to access from one of their customers in the secondary market. Suggest asking BoI for the contact details of that KBANK bond trader..

Thanks for the suggestion.   I see now (from another post) that Bangkok Bank may have possibilities, so given I have an account there, I will try that first, and failing that, go to KBANK.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Pib said:

I took a quick look at the Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank websites.  The Bangkok Bank website shows they sell government savings bonds....didn't see anything for Krungsri.  Below partial snapshot from Bangkok Bank talks the bonds.  

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Investment/Bonds-and-Debentures

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will go to my Bangkok Bank branch, and see what options I have.

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Thanks for posting this, I read

"Fixed personal income less than USD 80,000 per year but not less than USD 40,000 per year as of the date of application; and investment in Thailand in the name of the applicant of at least USD 250,000 and holding ownership in one or more of the following investments"

to mean that as you would need to invest an additional $250K plus already have an existing investment in Thailand.

Though always best to double check as things can get "Lost in Translation". 

This will be a necessary point to clarify for me. 

I am ok with purchasing ~2.5 million Thai baht in Thai Government bonds (as I like to carry a limited % of my portfolio in bonds), but I don't want to invest any more than that together with the current condo that I own in Thailand (for investments in Thailand) , else the Type-O (with its constant 1 year extensions) will start to look more appealing to me at present time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

As you say, its the choice of each of us, as to how we invest our hard earned money.

As I’ve said previously in this thread, for us “Retirees” not earning $80k pa, the 1Million THB 20 year Thailand Elite visa might be a better option.

As I’m “Only” 56, I’ve decided to keep on extending the Non-O each year (costs 8k pa for an agent to do all the work for me as I keep the 800k in the bank) in the hope that I would be  “Grandfathered” in for any future visa changes to the “Retirement” requirements.

I would like to get another 10 years older before pulling the trigger on the 20 year TE visa.

14 minutes ago, mudcat said:

Received my passport stamps on Halloween (October 31st) on a trip to Bangkok to celebrate our tenth anniversary on  November 1st.

My timeline:

August 24th - Applied for new U.S. passport

September 14th - Received new passport - expiring September 1, 2032.

September 15th - Transferred Stamps to new passport 

September 16th - Applied for LTR visa - Wealthy Pensioner

October 4th - Preliminary approval - request for more documents

October 18th - Qualification approval letter

October 31st - Stamps entered

Visa expires on September 16, 2032

Permission to stay expires on October 30, 2027

Re-entry permit expires on October 30, 2027

Notification due on October 30, 2023

I assume that a five-year re-qualification will result in a permission to stay expires when my passport expires on September 1, 2032.

There have been questions about where the notification of address needs to submitted if have been in the Kingdom for one-year - when I questioned the immigration officer taking my payment receipt and stamping my passport she was adamant that notification needed to happen at the One Stop Service immigration office, but when I looked at the notice in my passport (attached) it stated:  

NOTICE

NOTIFICATION FOR AN ALIEN WHO HAS BEEN

STAYING IN THE KINGDOM LONGER THAN 1-YEAR

Any alien who has been granted a Long - Term

Resident Visa (LTR Visa) and permitted to temporarily

stay in the Kingdom must notify a competent official

at a local or central immigration office of his/her

address every year.

Not sure what form to submit a one-year notification - maybe there is a one-year form somewhere - if anyone has found one or had one supplied by BOI please post it as a pdf for others.

1-year LTR Report.jpg

I asked if they had a form yet for the 1 year notification when I did mine and they said it would be the same as the 90 day, which made no sense to me.  My plans are to travel out of the country just prior to the 1 year notification and return after the new year starts for me thus avoiding to have to make a notification.  I will be trying to do a new TM-30 this coming Monday as I am planning to move primarily to the HH PKK area and only head to BKK and use my Condo maybe a few days a month.  I wonder what kind of issues I will get when I try and complete the TM-30 on-line since I am registered as the Housemaster for my home already in the system.  I also need to hit the DLT and change my address with them as I do not need any tickets or such sitting in my condo mailbox for a period of time.  Easy to change everything with the insurance companies, both for health and vehicles, but since there is no such thig as a change of address form, not that I know of, for the Thai Post I want my mail for all to get to the right location.  I am sure I will be charged an administrative fee to do so at the DLT......Registering my information at Immigration might be a good time, since the OSS BOI is where the Visa was obtained.

Has anybody tried yet to do a TM-30 outside of BKK with the new 10 year Visa?

1 hour ago, mudcat said:

Received my passport stamps on Halloween (October 31st) on a trip to Bangkok to celebrate our tenth anniversary on  November 1st.

My timeline:

August 24th - Applied for new U.S. passport

September 14th - Received new passport - expiring September 1, 2032.

September 15th - Transferred Stamps to new passport 

September 16th - Applied for LTR visa - Wealthy Pensioner

October 4th - Preliminary approval - request for more documents

October 18th - Qualification approval letter

October 31st - Stamps entered

Visa expires on September 16, 2032

Permission to stay expires on October 30, 2027

Re-entry permit expires on October 30, 2027

Notification due on October 30, 2023

I assume that a five-year re-qualification will result in a permission to stay expires when my passport expires on September 1, 2032.

There have been questions about where the notification of address needs to submitted if have been in the Kingdom for one-year - when I questioned the immigration officer taking my payment receipt and stamping my passport she was adamant that notification needed to happen at the One Stop Service immigration office, but when I looked at the notice in my passport (attached) it stated:  

NOTICE

NOTIFICATION FOR AN ALIEN WHO HAS BEEN

STAYING IN THE KINGDOM LONGER THAN 1-YEAR

Any alien who has been granted a Long - Term

Resident Visa (LTR Visa) and permitted to temporarily

stay in the Kingdom must notify a competent official

at a local or central immigration office of his/her

address every year.

Not sure what form to submit a one-year notification - maybe there is a one-year form somewhere - if anyone has found one or had one supplied by BOI please post it as a pdf for others.

1-year LTR Report.jpg

Congrats!!!    

From your 16 Sep application date to the 4 Oct preliminary  approval date that works out to 14 business when substracting weekends and one holiday.

On that 4 Oct preliminary approval notice "where they also asked for additional docs" what kind of docs was those?  Maybe that was where your health insurance policy end date didn't meet BOI's requirement and you then submitted docs to self-insure....or, maybe it was just forms they want everyone to complete once receiving preliminary approval?

I believe that this is where, because I had attempted to delete and re-order my documents which lost them.  I re-submitted my pension letters, backed them up with a tax-transcript from 2021.  I have now deleted all of my personally identifiable documents with the exception of the bio-page of my passport which I first submitted.  

Edited by mudcat
correction