LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Sounds like you are kinda in no-man's land right now since you are "not" retired yet (but almost retired) and drawing pensions/have fixed income required for a Wealthy Pensioner.  Instead, you are still working, not drawing a pension and maybe don't have the required "fixed income" in lieu of a pension.    See below snapshot from BOI announcement regarding WP requirements....see the weblink for the full announcement which addresses requirements for all LTR categories like Wealthy Global Citizen.   

You might be better off waiting until you start drawing your pension(s) if wanting to apply for the WP category. 

But hey, all they can do if submitting an application is approve or disapprove....not like you can only submit an application once.

https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/Announcement_of the Office of the Board of Investment No.2-2565 (EN).pdf

image.png.a7c3d9dbb905a9cfd6f4d93155a0fbb9.png

Ah, you're right on both counts with requirement 2.2.1 and the advice for waiting. I just went back to the Wealthy Pensioner application form at https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/Wealthy-Pensioner.pdf to check if I had built my beliefs on a bad reading, but under "income" in both categories (80K and less of 80K income) there is a checkbox for "Salary/Wages/allowance". 

I think I'll apply on Jan 02nd (I retire on Dec 31st), and use my "Salary/Wages/allowance" income and the rest to prove my income for the previous year. If that doesn't work, plan C, which is the traditional retirement visa.

NW

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Northwest87 said:

Plan B had been the WFTP, but that went belly up pretty fast when they announced the killer requirements ???? I find myself using the "rolling eyes" emoji a lot lately ????

Sorry to hear that.  Hang in there, things may still work out like you want them to.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Northwest87 said:

Well, an O-A visa is not catastrophic, but less convenient.

I had an O-A, it was great before the mandatory insurance requirement. If I had not done the LTR, I would have left to visit my kids in November killing off my O-A extension by not getting a re-entry the entered the country visa exempt and during that now 45 day period of time applied for a Non O at immigration already having 800k in the bank.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northwest87 said:

When I submitted my pay stub as a test by email a few weeks ago, they said they were acceptable, and the requirement for WP is "80K income in the past year", which for me is salary and a few other items as I retire at the end of the year.

Somebody either on this or another forum reported he was rejected when trying to submit wages as part of the $80k for the Wealthy Pensioner. 

Edited by K2938

For the WP online application there is a selection for Salary/Wage/Allowance under the (2) Other Sources of Fixed Income but maybe the BOI expects a WP to meet the 80K USD requirement totally/predominately under (1) Pension Income and/or Fixed Income selection.   

image.png.368f3fed01412ed37862bb368587478e.png   

16 hours ago, Pib said:

For the WP online application there is a selection for Salary/Wage/Allowance under the (2) Other Sources of Fixed Income but maybe the BOI expects a WP to meet the 80K USD requirement totally/predominately under (1) Pension Income and/or Fixed Income selection.   

image.png.368f3fed01412ed37862bb368587478e.png   

According to that video posted by that well known you tuber in his interview with the BOI lady, I think she put that issue to rest. Evidently, the sources of fixed income are central to their decision and needs to show someone who is truly retired. It was very confusing that they have a section for salary and wages, but then it turns out that is not an option, unless, as you say, it's a small part of income, maybe a part-time online job or something.

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Don't go with a O-A visa due to the medical insurance requirement because your current insurance would not be accepted.  Go with an O visa where no insurance is required by entering on non exempt and then converting to a Non O within Thailand.

Thank you for the warning: it's good to know. I had a cursory look and thought my insurance would easily cover the requirements (but I have thought that before, hehe). What is it that makes the medical insurance add-on unpalatable here? Does it compel you to insure locally?

7 minutes ago, Northwest87 said:

Thank you for the warning: it's good to know. I had a cursory look and thought my insurance would easily cover the requirements (but I have thought that before, hehe). What is it that makes the medical insurance add-on unpalatable here? Does it compel you to insure locally?

Basically you must insure with a Thai insurance company unless you can get your foreign insurance company to sign the form by three directors of the company saying the insurance complies with the Thai law/regulations stated on the form.   Very, very, very few insurance companies would ever sign such a form due to legal reasons.

Just closely read the OA insurance requirements and you see what I'm talking about and the form that must be signed.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/oalongstay/

Edited by Pib

3 minutes ago, Northwest87 said:

That is one of the things they like about making the insurance mandatory is that you use the TGIA providers.  I have PCH for my insurer, and they automatically upload it into the Immigration Insurance base, so even making you bring a copy of your policy for the next year when you do an extension of stay they compare it to the database to ensure it is a current policy and not something you made up....

IF you obtain the O-A visa from outside of the country there are so many other items they want, like a police background check, your insurance, a medical certificate, your bank statement, and flight info.  Of course it is an ME Visa and as long as your flying in and out without turning it into an extension of stay you can get 2 years out of it.  That was why I used to use it, and never extended in country, just renewed every 2 years, yet Covid closures saw to it that I could not fly back and forth so I just did an extension and did that in 2020, 2021 and now I have the LTR so no more trips to immigration for an annual extension.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Basically you must insure with a Thai insurance company unless you can get your foreign insurance company to sign the form by three directors of the company saying the insurance complies with the Thai law/regulations stated on the form.   Very, very, very few insurance companies would ever sign such a form due to legal reasons.

Just closely read the OA insurance requirements and you see what I'm talking about and the form that must be signed.

Thanks, I just looked it up, on an embassy web site, and I saw the form (and the problem). I had focused on the amounts needed before, but now I see what you mean. The amounts required in the bank or as monthly income appear to be the same as an O visa.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is one of the things they like about making the insurance mandatory is that you use the TGIA providers.  I have PCH for my insurer, and they automatically upload it into the Immigration Insurance base, so even making you bring a copy of your policy for the next year when you do an extension of stay they compare it to the database to ensure it is a current policy and not something you made up....

IF you obtain the O-A visa from outside of the country there are so many other items they want, like a police background check, your insurance, a medical certificate, your bank statement, and flight info.  Of course it is an ME Visa and as long as your flying in and out without turning it into an extension of stay you can get 2 years out of it.  That was why I used to use it, and never extended in country, just renewed every 2 years, yet Covid closures saw to it that I could not fly back and forth so I just did an extension and did that in 2020, 2021 and now I have the LTR so no more trips to immigration for an annual extension.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to dig deeper into the O visa, see if I can get it from the consulate etc..

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

But with a single entry O visa you only need the insurance for 3 months to cover the period of the visa....but once you go to Thai immigration in Thailand to get an "extension of stay" for 12 months the insurance is not required.  But for an OA visa it is required to get an extension of stay.  

A lot of people just enter Thailand on an Exempt entry (good for 30-45 days) and then during that period convert it to a Non O retirement or marriage at Thai immigration....now you have a Non O good for three months...then before it expires you go back and apply for the 12 month extension of stay on that Non O....no insurance requirement....you get a 12 month extension of stay....then just go back every year before that extension expires and get another 12 month extension of stay.....the repeat every year like everyone on a one year long stay visa/extension does.  

Ah, thanks. This is good stuff. So if entering on an Exempt entry and I convert to non-O, would I need to present a certificate of insurance for the 3-month period?

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

But with a single entry O visa you only need the insurance for 3 months to cover the period of the visa....but once you go to Thai immigration in Thailand to get an "extension of stay" for 12 months the insurance is not required.  But for an OA visa it is required to get an extension of stay.  

A lot of people just enter Thailand on an Exempt entry (good for 30-45 days) and then during that period convert it to a Non O retirement or marriage at Thai immigration....now you have a Non O good for three months...then before it expires you go back and apply for the 12 month extension of stay on that Non O....no insurance requirement....you get a 12 month extension of stay....then just go back every year before that extension expires and get another 12 month extension of stay.....the repeat every year like everyone on a one year long stay visa/extension does.  

Just ensure the 800K Thb is in the bank 2 months prior to the extension, after that it can be reduced to 400k Thb, but then 3 moths before the next extension it needs to be brought back up to 800K Thb.  I just put the 800K in a fixed deposit account that earned a pittance of interest and left it there year around for the past 3 years.  I just closed that account and invested it elsewhere.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Just ensure the 800K Thb is in the bank 2 months prior to the extension, after that it can be reduced to 400k Thb, but then 3 moths before the next extension it needs to be brought back up to 800K Thb.  I just put the 800K in a fixed deposit account that earned a pittance of interest and left it there year around for the past 3 years.  I just closed that account and invested it elsewhere.

OK, that looks simple enough and I appreciate the shortcuts and advice. That'll come in handy. 

On 9/28/2022 at 1:44 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Happy to report I just received an actual e-mail from the LTR BOI Unit approving my Visa Application.  Looks like I need to log back in and follow more steps according to the e-mail.

Dear

We are delighted to inform you that your LTR Visa application has been approved.

Application No. : LTRWPxxxxxxxxx

LTR Visa category : Wealthy Pensioners

Submission date : 02-09-2022

Applicant’s name and surname : xxxxxxxxxx

Email : xxxxxxxx

Phone number : xxxxxxxxx

To proceed with LTR Visa issuance, please log in to your LTR visa account and follow the steps below.

1. UPLOAD ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS 

1.1. For applicants who applied for the digital work permit.

a.Medical Certificate (issued for no more than 3 months)

1.2. Other documents to complete the LTR criteria (in case you are required to)

b.Health insurance (with the remaining maturity of no less than 10 months)

c.Criminal record (issued for no more than 3 months)

2. CHOOSE THE LOCATION FOR LTR VISA ISSUANCE

Please update the information about the place you would like to collect the visa from [Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General or One Stop Service for Visa and Work Permit Center (OSS), 18th floor, Chamchuri Square Building, Bangkok.]

For visa issuance at One Stop Service for Visa and Work Permit Center (OSS), please update the information of your latest arrival in Thailand (for the immigration purpose).

3. MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR LTR VISA ISSUANCE

Once the Notification Letter for Qualifications Endorsement has been issued (within 1-2 working days after the additional documents and updated information have been submitted and considered valid), please make an appointment for the LTR Visa issuance at One Stop Service for Visa and Work Permit Center (OSS), 18th floor, Chamchuri Square Building, Bangkok via LTR Visa application system or contact the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General in case of making the appointment for visa issuance overseas*.

Please note that the result of the qualifications endorsement for LTR Visa is valid for a period of 60 days upon receiving this email. Therefore, please collect the visa before the result expires, otherwise you must apply for the qualifications endorsement again.

* E-Visa is available only in some Embassies/Consulates. To check if it’s available in your area of residency, please go to www.thaievisa.go.th . Moreover applicant must apply for e-Visa via a specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. The applicant is required to upload documents that can verify his/her current residency.

4. COLLECT YOUR LTR VISA              

4.1 Procedures for visa issuance at One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit (OSS)

1. Please prepare the documents, print out and fill in the immigration forms as follows, and bring them with you on the appointment date.

1. Passport or document in lieu of passport of an applicant and a copy of passport or document in lieu of passport
  2. Passport or document in lieu of passport of the main LTR Visa holder and a copy of passport or document in lieu of passport (for dependants)
  3. Copy of documents proving relationship such as a marriage certificate, registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate or child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency (for dependants)
  4. Application form for LTR Visa (TM.94)
  5. Notification Letter from the Board of Investment to the Immigration Bureau within 60 days from the issuance date of the endorsement letter
  6. Criteria and Conditions Acknowledgement Form for a Temporary Stay Permit in the Kingdom (LTR Visa) (STM.8)

2. Please be on time for your visa issuance appointment and bring with you the abovementioned documents. Contact the LTR visa staff at the reception counter of the One Start One Stop Investment Center (OSOS) for the documentation check.

For applicants who have applied for Digital Work Permit, please print out the appointment confirmation document and the payment form from the LTR Visa system and bring them with you on the appointment date (in addition to the Immigration forms mentioned above) for Digital Work Permit issuance.

3. Follow the LTR visa staff’s guidance to receive LTR Visa from the Immigration and Digital Work Permit from the Department of Employment.

*Please prepare the visa processing fee on the appointment date as follows.

LTR Visa processing fee - 50,000 THB per person per 10 years

Digital Work Permit processing fee - 3,000 THB per person per one year

4.2 Procedures for visa issuance at Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General

For Visa Sticker

1. Kindly contact Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General of your choice to make an appointment for visa issuance

2. Please prepare the documents, print out and fill in the forms as follows and bring them with you on the appointment date.

a. Passport with the remaining validity of no less than 6 months

b. Notification Letter for Qualifications Endorsement from BOI with has been issued for no more than 60 days

c. Copy of documents proving relationship such as a marriage certificate, registration of child legitimization (for dependents)

d. Visa application form

3. Follow the guidance of a consular officer at each Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General to receive your LTR Visa on your passport.

Visa Fee : LTR visa processing fee at each Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General is based on the fee in Thailand (50,000 THB per person per 10 years), but may vary and is usually more than the fee in Thailand, depending on the currency rate and the additional fee which might be applied in some countries.

For e-Visa

1. Please submit the following documents via www.thaievisa.go.th

a. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document

b. Declaration

c. Photograph *taken within the last six months. If the photograph does not reflect your current appearance, you may be refused to enter the Kingdom of Thailand

d. Letter from BOI

e. Other documents as required

2. E-visa will be issued and be notified via email and your e-Visa account

Visa Fee : LTR visa processing fee at each Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General is based on the fee in Thailand (50,000 THB per person per 10 years), but may vary and is usually more than the fee in Thailand, depending on the currency rate and the additional fee which might be applied in some countries.

Note: This is an auto-generated email. Please do not reply to this email.

@ThailandRyan

Am I understanding above correctly that you had to upload/submit your medical certificate/policy again and also provide a criminal records check no older than 3 months?   

Below is a quote from your above post:

@ThailandRyan

Am I understanding above correctly that you had to upload/submit your medical certificate/policy again and also provide a criminal records check no older than 3 months?   

Below is a quote from your above post:

I think your mistaking me for another. I never uploaded a medical cert or a criminal record check for my LTR.  It was done for my OA visa from the LA Consulate years ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Northwest87 said:

Yes

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think your mistaking me for another. I never uploaded a medical cert or a criminal record check for my LTR.  It was done for my OA visa from the LA Consulate years ago.

I'm talking your 28 Sep post below....snapshots you included in that post.

I'm talking your 28 Sep post below....snapshots you included in that post.

That was the e-mail from the LTR BOI Unit when they approved my Application, but I did not need to upload the other documents as I had no need for a WP. and so did not apply for one. I was not required to upload the others either, look at the bolded sections.  I had already uploaded my HI Certificate so it was not required to upload again.

1. UPLOAD ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS 

• Thanks 1

Just FYI, as I was scanning thru this "entire" thread from day 1 to today just for general info while doing that I wrote down those posters who said their LTR application had been approved and when initially approved.    If I missed anyone or got the date wrong (which is quite possible as this thread is now l....o.....n.....g), just add your name/correct date to the list below.

Poster & Date Approval Notice Rec'd

1.  ThailandRyan  28 Sep

2.  pepper402  29 Sep

3.  gajah  30 Sep

4.  mudcat  4 Oct

5.  Misty   4 Oct

6.  stuarty  4 Oct

7.  Boomer6969   5 Oct

8.   BKKNono  15 Sep

9.  Alotoftravel  ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1.  ThailandRyan  28 Sep

2.  pepper402  29 Sep

3.  gajah  30 Sep

4.  mudcat  4 Oct

5.  Misty   4 Oct

6.  stuarty  4 Oct

7.  Boomer6969   5 Oct

8.   BKKNono  15 Sep

9.  Alotoftravel  4 Oct

Approved Oct 4th.

Edited by Alotoftravel
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Update:  LTR Approvals as of 1 Nov 2022 based on posts in this thread I saw....may have missed some...please speak-up if you have been approved.

1.  ThailandRyan  28 Sep

2.  pepper402  29 Sep

3.  gajah  30 Sep

4.  mudcat  4 Oct

5.  Misty   4 Oct

6.  stuarty  4 Oct

7.  Boomer6969   5 Oct

8.   BKKNono  15 Sep

9.  Alotoftravel  4 Oct

10. aublumberg 12 Oct

• Thanks 1