Transmission on the blink

toast1

I do like Scotty Kilner, and I've learned a lot, mostly - as you say - always buy Honda or Toyota.

Though the pre-Renault, British built Nissan K12 was one hell of a good car.

I didn't know the transmission had a filter, that's something to remember. 

Edited by toast1

1 hour ago, toast1 said:

I do like Scotty Kilner, and I've learned a lot, mostly - as you say - always buy Honda or Toyota.

I don't know much about modern auto's but the ones I was involved with the trans filter was internal, there purely to catch rubbish if a problem or with plates dust, in other words, the filter could last as long as the car if the trans was treated nicely, good fluid and kept within the fluid heat range.

My fun car also had an external trans filter in case of a failure, so it captured any rubbish before the oil lines leading to the cooler. Plus a trans temp guage on the hood, better safe than sorry, but I don't have any of that in our weeeee Suzuki.....????

PS. Trans filter, the white thingy...

Photo-098.jpg.63473626cf0107dc14d3c93bfb799b71.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toast1 said:

The vast majority of automatic transmission have a pick-up screen (gauze) in the oil pan, rather than a filter as such. The pick up screen is there to catch large pieces of debris such as chips off gear teeth. It does not catch fine debris. In conventional Jatco autos the screen is not considered a service item.  If there is so much debris that it becomes blocked then you already have major problems!  Some people do like to change the pickup screen though, and it does no harm. Clean the magnets in the oil pan at the same time.

CVT autos are a different ball game and they do shed swarf throughout service. The Jatco CVT7 (Almera, Suzuki, small Mitsu) has both a pickup screen AND an externally mounted paper element filter. The paper filter should be changed when the fluid is changed.

Edited by HauptmannUK

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.

One person says its the starter motor that's making noise in Neutral and Park, as its not disengaging sometimes, though the mechanics says this not the case.

Is there any way to test this?

Still haven't worked it out.

Edited by toast1

13 hours ago, toast1 said:

Thanks for the info.

One person says its the starter motor that's making noise in Neutral and Park, as its not disengaging sometimes, though the mechanics says this not the case.

Is there any way to test this?

Still haven't worked it out.

Seems unlikely...but its easy enough to remove the starter motor and then check the pinion and ring-gear for any damage or misbehaviour...

If this was me I would try to eliminate if the sound is coming from a worn gearshift linkage perhaps vibrating against some thing. Try holding the shifter and apply a slight pull up and down and rotation force in both P and N and see if the note changes. Try to access the linkage and see if the noise changes when you touch it. According to a Nissan forum this is a common problem due to the linkage being close to the exhaust.

image.jpeg

Thanks so much for the info.

Took it to a mechanic, who took out the starter and said it was a bit stiff. Perhaps it was not disengaging sometimes, when in Park or Neutral.

They also mentioned that the ignition switch mechanism was a bit stiff, perhaps when starting the car, the key was not springing back to neutral position, thus forcing the starter to constantly engage - its a theory.

I'll see how things go and use your suggestion if the problem persists.

Thanks

Two further things to check. The nut holding the gearshift lever can becomes loose.

Heat Shield

The number one rattling culprit in your March  is the exhaust heat shield.  They can get a little loose as the vehicle ages and accumulates mileage.  Once this happens, it’ll rattle all of the time.  It’s particularly noticeable when you rev the engine in neutral and let off of the gas pedal.  You should hear a rattle as the engine comes back down from the higher RPM. A worn linkage can also rub against the heat shield in certain gear positions. From Nissan March forum.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that the CVT fitted in Thai cars is the same as fitted to UK cars. If it is there are two large doughnut type magnets on the sump that will show the amount of debris. There is an internal filter exposed when the sump is removed. Below is the filter kit for K12 UK spec.

s-l300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It may have been the starter not disengaging when the engine started. 
It was taken out, and found to be stiff. 
After being oiled it was returned and no problems so far.
So it may have just been this making all the noise, which made it sound like the transmission had gone. 

Time will tell

Thanks

• Like 1