Optimism Higher on 2022 Tourist Reports

webfact

1 hour ago, brommers said:

Just look at the reality of 50% hotels not open and those that are " enjoying" 30% occupancy. 

2m is better than 200k ????

Actually surprised that many bothered visiting.  50% open w/30% occupancy is a bit optimistic, considering shy of 40m before.  2m doesn't spread very well when you're used to accommodating almost 40m. 

20% open with 10% occupancy might be more accurate IMHO  Even that would be a major improvement from what we saw when out & about last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, there was a lot of people entering from Malaysia - better known as migrant workers and NOT tourists - the audacity to count migrant in any figures speaks volumes about the people in charge of this country 

AKA Lieland.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brommers said:

Oh really! The cock-eyed optimist is under the influence of some happy juice if he is pleased with the numbers. Just look at the reality of 50% hotels not open and those that are " enjoying" 30% occupancy. Look at the whole tourism plant that is not remotely profitable. Look at global condemnation of the proposed " dirty farang" two tier hotel pricing, look at the inability of global airlines to operate due to staff shortages & airport chaos. Does this give anyone but a delusional person cause to be pleased?

US citizens are traveling a lot Nationally and Internationally so much so that US hotels  can't get enought staff with all the influx of tourists.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hotels-nationwide-struggle-to-hire-enough-workers-for-summer-labor-shortage/

The companion story today is about a proposal to waive visa fees for foreign travelers.  So, maybe the 'optimism' is actually not so high.   And, perhaps it shouldn't be.  Only 2 million foreign tourists the first 6 months leaves a long way to go to reach the predicted figures of 9 to 10 million for the year.  

• Like 1

Of course the government has no idea of what it costs to actually get to Thailand  these days. Airfares have rocketed, inflation is high everywhere and people are struggling. Staying close to home is the option nowadays. We have an enormous amount of nice beaches in Europe , the weather is hot, and those seeking culture are spoilt for choice. Unfortunately, I think we’re in for the long haul and world tourism won’t get back to normal for a while. Where I live in S France, hotels have been fully booked since March . Most EU countries are happy with their season. It doesn’t matter to the richer tourists of course, but Thailand does not attract them. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 3:51 AM, webfact said:

The government has indicated optimism amid reports that Thailand welcomed around 2.2 million foreign visitors during the first half of 2022.

The glasses help the government view on things

Rose glasses.jpg

• Like 1

Soaring prices, inflation, lack of flights, airport and airline chaos, unstable global political situation, masking, covid restrictions and many other inconviences make it less appealing to travel afar to places such as Thailand. Although I could afford it I will not consider travelling long distance for quite some time yet. Sadly it might take still a few more years before there is return to anything resembling the pre-pandemic times, if it ever happens, and the continous Thai covid paranoia does not help for those of us who are in countries where it is now no more than a back page small print news.

Edited by rabang

18 hours ago, Phuket Pete said:

Just Remember - anyone entering Thai Airspace is counted as a visitor !

- Even if they are flying to Australia. ????

Are you sure? I expected they had to at least go through immigration?

17 hours ago, geisha said:

Of course the government has no idea of what it costs to actually get to Thailand  these days. Airfares have rocketed, inflation is high everywhere and people are struggling. Staying close to home is the option nowadays. We have an enormous amount of nice beaches in Europe , the weather is hot, and those seeking culture are spoilt for choice. Unfortunately, I think we’re in for the long haul and world tourism won’t get back to normal for a while. Where I live in S France, hotels have been fully booked since March . Most EU countries are happy with their season. It doesn’t matter to the richer tourists of course, but Thailand does not attract them. 

Fortunately for Thailand the vast majority of their tourists live close to home. For some reason Europeans and Americans think that Thailand is dependent on them, but the reality is they account for less than 20% of Thailand's tourist market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Phuket Pete said:

Just Remember - anyone entering Thai Airspace is counted as a visitor !

- Even if they are flying to Australia. ????

And don't forget to count the airport workers who must pass through security ????

• Haha 1

my take on TAT's daily estimates, hopes, looking to, wishing and so forth. It's my understanding from past posts from Thai governmental offices claiming Thailand really doesn't need/live off tourism, it's just a merely small percentage of their total GDP, if that's the case and tourism is not that important for Thailand why they keep posting daily misleading BS numbers about number of tourists and how much it has generated and so forth, for me if a country does something like that it means they are desperate for tourists, assuming they are desperate why not make visa rules & regulations easier instead of complicated as they keep doing

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

It's my understanding from past posts from Thai governmental offices claiming Thailand really doesn't need/live off tourism, it's just a merely small percentage of their total GDP, if that's the case and tourism is not that important for Thailand.

Tourism directly accounted for 11% of Thailands GDP in 2019.  I'm surprised there would be any government offices downplaying its significance to the country's economy.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

Tourism directly accounted for 11% of Thailands GDP in 2019.  I'm surprised there would be any government offices downplaying its significance to the country's economy.

kindly refer to attached graphic, you will see the tourism % of GDP was 9% and since 2020 it's down to 2.4%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1177565/thailand-tourism-balance-as-a-share-gdp/

Don’t forget the “ quiet” Thais who are very poor , do not pay taxes, but yet earn a small living from the tourist trade ! You take all these unfortunate people who live in shacks , selling cheap wares on the streets of every beach in Thailand , the stalls selling takeaways in Bangkok alone . I saw it in Phuket after the tsunami. No Thai authority took any interest in them, robbed of their means of eating and living through this disaster. Phuket emptied in 48 hours, and those Thais , the shops, Tuc tucs, restaurants etc all closed down, but those beach and street sellers had nothing to eat. The government never counts them in their figures and percentages!!! 

my recent two week vacation to the south of Hua Hin ( ban krut area)  and then a few days staying

just about 6 km south of center of Hua Hin  showed :

Those areas which once had many tourists and accommadations and restaurants were DEAD .

many hotels closed ...... others looking very very lonely . 

that is the Truth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

Fortunately for Thailand the vast majority of their tourists live close to home. For some reason Europeans and Americans think that Thailand is dependent on them, but the reality is they account for less than 20% of Thailand's tourist market.

Indeed. Perhaps some of us will have reevaluate our imaginary premise and seek perspectives that aren't based on repetition. Perhaps they're not as influential as they dream themselves to be....

49 minutes ago, rumak said:

my recent two week vacation to the south of Hua Hin ( ban krut area)  and then a few days staying

just about 6 km south of center of Hua Hin  showed :

Those areas which once had many tourists and accommadations and restaurants were DEAD .

many hotels closed ...... others looking very very lonely . 

that is the Truth

Yeah......hotels are one thing, but if one does some digging you'll find that the COVID era and all the political motives associated severely damaged the locally owned and modest guesthouses/inn/homestay/resort industry. Thousands upon thousands were forced to close with little or no recovery or the nominal chance of reopening - the tone for the real economy.

The greater difference between smaller independent operators and corporate/semi-corporate based venues is quite significant. 

Edited by zzaa09

1 minute ago, zzaa09 said:

Yeah......hotels are one thing, but if one does some digging you'll find that the COVID era and all the political motives associated severely damaged the locally owned and modest guesthouses/inn/homestay/resort industry. Thousands upon thousands were forced to close with little or no recovery or the nominal change of reopening - the tone for the real economy.

The greater difference between smaller independent operators and corporate/semi-corporate based venues is quite significant. 

actually i do not stay in big hotels ,  can't stand them.   I stay in smaller places and almost always find a bungalo type place.    I drive down there,  and when there go out scouting around , not sitting by the pool  ????

Those thousands of smaller places (and restaurants)  are what i was really referring to.   But in Hua Hin  i did go in to take a look at a few hotels (not the high priced ones) ....   And the few decent ones that were open hardly had any guests at all

i definitely agree that the whole economy down there is now "severely damaged"

• 3 weeks later...