Visa alternatives after end of teaching contract

I'm intending to quit my job in Thailand at the end of the current contract on September 30. I will have about 4 - 5 months before I start a new position outside of Thailand. I'll be using the period between this October and February next year to complete a couple of UK uni. courses that I have been studying online . What are my visa options for remaining in Thailand after September 30th for all or part of the 4-5 month period? I'm 58. Could I apply for a retirement visa? Tourist visa?  Can either of these be obtained while remaining in Thailand or would I need to exit? For a retirement visa, I currently have about 500,000 baht in a Thai a/c and can transfer a further 300,000 whenever necessary. 

30th September falls on a Friday, which is actually about 2 weeks before the end of term, so I will basically be working right up until that Friday or at least the Thursday. I'm happy to make a mad dash to the airport for a new-visa run if necessary. In these circumstances, is there also a short-term option of a 7 day extension of stay? I feel I may have heard of something like this or is it just my imagination?

Thanks, in advance, for any sound bits of advice or links to threads where  similar situations to my own have undoubtedly already been discussed. Sorry, while living here reasonably contentedly for the past 10 years, I have (un)wisely paid little attention to visa requirements for new circumstances. Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

You could change the reason for you current 1 year extension of stay (it is not a visa) to retirement if you have 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day your apply for the new extension.

Other than that the only option would be to leave the country to get a single entry tourist visa that would allow a 60 day stay that can be extended for 30 days. And then after that apply for another tourist visa or leave and re-enter to get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, spambot said:

@ubonjoe - Can you clarify:

What are most up to date rules for getting a second tourist visa during what period and which neighbouring country would be easiest to get this?

Where to apply for a tourist visa depends upon how you are willing to travel to get it.

It has hard to state what the current policy is at nearby embassies and consulates after more than 2 years of border closures.

By land Savannakhet and Vientian are both good locations to get a tourist visa. 

Getting 2 of them back to back may not be a problem now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...