Pattaya: Cyber cops raid gang's 14 call centers in Chonburi - have YOU received automated calls?

webfact

On 7/12/2022 at 10:15 AM, webfact said:

It is likely that many of our readers have received such calls, notes ASEAN NOW

Been getting loads, yesterday 092 654 1043 and a few +69  +56 +86 for months.

21 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Yes but I just hang up on them as soon as they start talking

And then I block their number.

14 hours ago, peterfranks said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think that this thread is aimed at personal phone users but if you put your number out there for new business, you can't expect anything else.   As far as delivery drivers are concerned, they will always be local numbers and you will be expecting those calls.

Expand  

As if those spam calls don't come from local numbers.

Maybe 1% of the spam calls I receive have an international prefix

This thread is about scam calls, not spam calls, there's a big difference.   

Regardless, how many spam calls have you answered as result of which you were able to calculate that 1% had international prefixes?   You're suggesting that you have answered over 100 spam calls? 

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Food delivery staff, including those services delivering parcels often call first to check someone is home for collection.

I know but those unknown numbers will be calls that you are expecting, scam calls are calls that are not expected so can be ignored, unless you tend to get random, anonymous food orders and parcel deliveries!   

All my food, and other orders, I place myself, so I expect those unknown delivery calls.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Been getting loads, yesterday 092 654 1043 and a few +69  +56 +86 for months.

And then I block their number.

Good. Remember one thing if you do listen they will probably say they are from some government office. In reality no government office anywhere in the world will call you on a mobile number. There is a reason for this which is calls made on behalf of a government are recorded. Mobile calls can be recorded by the operator but it is far more difficult and a lot more expensive to go that route than over a fixed line telephone

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Regardless, how many spam calls have you answered as result of which you were able to calculate that 1% had international prefixes?   You're suggesting that you have answered over 100 spam calls? 

I understand that you have made your profession of arguing and refuting every single post on this forum,

You better had practised some reading skill though, as you are clearly lacking them.

Where did I suggest I had answered 100 spam calls?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

This thread is about SPAM CALLS, because scam call are not made through automated PBX machines, as they can't talk and answer questions the recipient has.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, peterfranks said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

This thread is about SPAM CALLS, because scam call are not made through automated PBX machines, as they can't talk and answer questions the recipient has.

No, it is about scam calls...

"Seized were 101 IP BPX machines, wi-fi routers and one arrest was made of a manager who was charged with fraud and computer crime that would likely result in the public being defrauded ...

This latest move followed eight earlier raids in Bangkok on July 6th in Bang Na, Huay Khwang and Ladprao where IP PBX devices used to defraud the public were also seized ...

We advise you to put the phone down immediately"

See those rather relevant words, "fraud" and "defraud" and Thaivisa's advice to immediately hang up?  That's because the OP is about scam calls.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

You better had practised some reading skill though, as you are clearly lacking them.

Where did I suggest I had answered 100 spam calls?

It's not my reading skills that need practice, far from it.

You wrote that only 1% of your calls had an international prefix. In order to know that you must have answered at least 100 calls to get to the 1% (one call) statistic.   

If you had answered, say, only 25 calls, your 1% stat would mean that only ¼ of a call had the international prefix ((0.25%, impossible, obviously).  The lowest number of calls that you must have answered to get 1% had to be 100.   That's how you suggested that you had answered at least 100 calls.   

1 hour ago, peterfranks said:

I understand that you have made your profession of arguing and refuting every single post on this forum,

As you wrote, this is a forum and forums are a means to discuss subjects and to have differing opinions and observations.  If something, very clearly, inaccurate is proposed on a forum as fact, is it not ok to dispute it?   Your (1%) comment did not appear to be an accurate statement to me.

I have not refuted "every single post on this forum" (your words) but if every post did contain inaccuracies proffered as fact, would it not be my (and other posters') privilege to dispute them?

There appear to be many members here that do not like other posters having opinions opposing theirs...or disputing their "facts".     If you don't approve of my comments there is the option to report them but, don't forget, this is a forum.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

On 7/12/2022 at 11:29 AM, anchadian said:

Calls that I don't recognize are not answered. 

Simple solution and far safer that actually answering a call.

Do you ever get any deliveries?

I get lots of parcels from Lazada, Kerry, etc.

They all call before and/or at the time of delivery.

I almost always pick up the phone. And if it is stupid advertisement or a scam I just disconnect. No problem.