Working with wife at our(her) business question.

Coming to Thailand in a few months.  Wife and I have been discussing opening a business.

I'm under the impression, that it doesn't matter if my wife owns a business, I cannot work unless I have a work permit.  My wife doesn't agree (or more specifically UNDERSTAND why).  

I'm not a 100% sure though, which is why I'm asking on here.  

So hypothetically.  We open a business under my wifes name, lets say a shop.  Is it against the law for me to be "working" there, if say I wasn't  actually receiving a pay check?  Income essentially would go to our shared bank account but...  That's my wifes income " ".

I've done a search of the forums to see if this specifically has been asked but couldn't find anything, if so feel free to point me to the thread.  And thanks for any help.

I would also like to add the reason for doing business under my wifes name is because it seems pretty complicated/expensive/not realistic for us to open a business in my name.  Feel free to tell me I'm wrong if so.

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

That's been discussed here many times, in short it is illegal. You can get away with some non-visible activities like bookkeeping or something at the back where nobody sees you, but facing customers and being seen working is asking for trouble. Your competitors may notify the police and you may get fined, asked for bribes, blackstamped etc.

Exactly what I thought and was weary of.  Thanks!   

2 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Your business cannot offer you a work permit unless you employ 4 Thai's.

Then  you need to employ 4 more Thai's incase the  other 4 dont turn up for work, as i was told by a  business owner

18 hours ago, actonion said:

Then  you need to employ 4 more Thai's incase the  other 4 dont turn up for work, as i was told by a  business owner

Most foreigners have employees on contract who never work there. Most likely someone in close family. 

Never heard the rule there must be 4 employees at work at same time.

• Like 1

TIT. A local Aussie out here in Essan had a bar out in the sticks. The police said they wouldn't mess with him as long as most of his customers were Farang. They even drank there sometimes. I helped out in the rice fields, cutting grass, taking out the seed and such. The police would joke that it was the first time they had seen a farang do hard work. But as stated above, it is not legal--- you really can't even mow your own lawn by law.

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

Most foreigners have employees on contract who never work there. Most likely someone in close family. 

Never heard the rule there must be 4 employees at work at same time.

i was told this by   a  7/11    manager

Op, no disrespect, but if your wife could not be bothered to get on the internet for 30 minutes and find out the answer to this question.

How well do you think any business venture will go.

I am also assuming your going to be funding the whole venture.

be careful and be very diligent. 

Good luck.

Edited by Orinoco

On 7/16/2022 at 12:20 AM, Orinoco said:

Op, no disrespect, but if your wife could not be bothered to get on the internet for 30 minutes and find out the answer to this question.

How well do you think any business venture will go.

I am also assuming your going to be funding the whole venture.

be careful and be very diligent. 

Good luck.

It's not that my wife couldn't be bothered to get on the internet, it was her more not understanding why that if "we" had a business together why I couldn't be part of it.  So it's just one of those things.

Secondly, my wife and I have been together for 10 years and we would both be funding it.   

And always try and be as careful and diligent as possible, which is why I come on here for these types of questions ????

Thanks for your response!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loinx22 said:

It's not that my wife couldn't be bothered to get on the internet, it was her more not understanding why that if "we" had a business together why I couldn't be part of it.  So it's just one of those things.

Secondly, my wife and I have been together for 10 years and we would both be funding it.   

And always try and be as careful and diligent as possible, which is why I come on here for these types of questions ????

Thanks for your response!

Good luck.

• Like 1