US ambassador-nominee pledges to help Thais pressure Myanmar junta

webfact

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

I can't believe this guy's first act, even before he is confirmed, is to create friction, especially over the question of gas and oil. Should shut his yap.

You can be sure that anything he said in his hearing came from briefing books written for him by the State Department and represents official policy - a career professional would never "wing it" or inject his own opinions.

It's also the case that whenever a Senator in a confirmation hearing tells an ambassadorial nominees that a particular issue is important to him personally - even if that issue is only tangentially connected to the country in question - the correct reply is always "Senator, I can assure you that that will be my top priority." Once the nominee has been confirmed, he or she is free to never think about or mention the issue again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CALSinCM said:

Oh goody.  Let's stoke a war between Thailand and Myanmar.  
Are the Thai brass stupid enough to fall for that - or - what's the payoff?  

The "payoff" is likely to be multi-level and multi-faceted.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The Biden administration’s nominee for US ambassador to Thailand said on Wednesday that he would press Bangkok to reduce its dependence on oil and gas from neighbouring Myanmar, where the ruling military junta is committing “horrifying atrocities.”

Best of luck with that.

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 12:33 PM, webfact said:

We are seeking ways with the Thais to increase the pressure on the Burmese regime.

Probably send them a postcard with an upside down smiley face.    That will teach them!!!

This is politics.    blah, blah, blah, do nothing, blah, blah, blah