Non Immigrant O Visa 90 Day Single Entry

Visa Confusion

Any help would be appreciated.

I am UK citizen planning to come to Thailand mid-August and stay permanently.

It looks difficult to get O-A Retirement visa before I leave so I have a few questions;

1.       Can I enter on Tourist visa either 30 day or 60 day and then apply to convert to a O-A visa whilst in Thailand?

a.       If so will I be allowed to open a bank account to deposit the 800,000 Bht.

b.      Will I need a return ticket for either 30 or 60 days to enter on a tourist visa.

2.       I would prefer to enter on a Non Immigrant O 90 Day Retirement Visa - Single Entry. Questions on application;

a.       On application it is asking for flight details – I have not booked yet as I would prefer to book once I have the visa – is there any way around this?

b.      On this visa is a one way ticket okay or do I have to have a return ticket to UK?

c.       It is asking for health insurance issued by a Thai Insurer – I have a UK company issued annual policy which covers trips up to 90 days will this be sufficient?

Finally any idea of the current processing times for these applications?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou

You cannot obtain a non O-A in Thailand.

You can arrive in Thailand with SETV or visa exempt and obtain a non O retirement and subsequent 12 month extension.

Requires 800k in Thai bank in your name on the day you apply for non O retirement.

Any flight requirements mentioned in your OP is onward flight not necessarily return flight.

You also ask this....

" If so will I be allowed to open a bank account to deposit the 800,000 Bht"...

If you arrive with a non O you will be able to open a Thai bank account.

If you arrive with tourist visa or visa exempt with intention to obtain non O retirement at Thai immigration, you would be best to use agent to assist with bank account. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Enjoylife1 said:

Thanks for your reply but i do not understand what you mean by "You cannot obtain a non O-A in Thailand"

Its sounds like you are saying that the easiest way is just to arrive on a tourist visa?

A non O-A can only be obtained in your own country or country where you have permanent residence status.

Your best options are to...

Obtain a non O prior to arrival in your own country if they issue them....

OR fly to thailand visa exempt or tourist visa and obtain your non O in Thailand.

For me the second option seems preferable.

11 minutes ago, Enjoylife1 said:

Thanks for the info.

I think i will apply for the 60 day tourist visa before i go and in Thailand apply the retirement visa

FWIW....think that's a good plan. 

Keep in mind that the tourist visa can be extended by 30.

Your minor hurdle is to open Thai bank account.

An agent is good option for approx 3k

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Any flight requirements mentioned in your OP is onward flight not necessarily return flight.

Correction, flying with no visa (visa exempt) will usually require a return or outward flight to be allowed to board. Some airlines and some airports are more relaxed and allow one way tickets.

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Correction, flying with no visa (visa exempt) will usually require a return or outward flight to be allowed to board. 

??. .That's what I stated.

Return or onward flight if flying visa exempt.

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

??. .That's what I stated.

Return or onward flight if flying visa exempt.

Not quite, you didn’t make clear that a Non-O will have no problem and that tourist visa holder should have no problem with a one way ticket, though you may have intended to say that, that the onward or return flight is only a requirement (sometimes skipped) for visa exempt

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Not quite, you didn’t make clear that a Non-O will have no problem and that tourist visa holder should have no problem with a one way ticket, though you may have intended to say that, that the onward or return flight is only a requirement (sometimes skipped) for visa exempt

The OP stated this....

"Will I need a return ticket for either 30 or 60 days to enter on a tourist visa."

He may require a return or onward flight for eg SETV.

That will depend on the consulate.

My point is that it does not necessarily have to be return.

As far as airline goes for boarding if someone has a visa the airline will not require proof of onward flight.

The OP has confused things by stating.. "30 or 60 day to enter on tourist visa"

He thinks of visa exempt entry same as tourist visa. 

Just the same as folk talking about "visa on arrival ".. when they mean visa exempt entry.

Regarding visa exempt the airline may require proof of return/onward flight. 

Most of which is splitting hairs. 

Move on. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

"A big advantage to obtaining the "O" Visa in Thailand over the "O-A" obtained in your country of residence is there is no health insurance requirement to obtain the "O" Visa or extend your stay. "

That was what I had found when in Thailand on Non O, but I am like O/P and returning to Thailand after my visa expired while in UK.

I have tried to apply for a Non O visa at RTE London, on line, but that application demands health insurance and proof of funs in UK bank, plus signing a "Declaration" with so many open ends that no sensible person would want to sign.

So it seems that the option to get a Non O in advance is being closed.  How long before these restrictions are carried on the the application for Non O in Thailand.

has anyone on this Forum got experience of

1. Entering LOS on the new Visa exempt, or Tourist visa that can be converted to Non O?

2. Getting on a flight at LHR with no visa and no onward ticket?

3 Converting visa exempt to Non O and then getting extension for Retirement visa.

Before this trip to UK, I had a Non O retirement visa for years and did several extensions.  I have all the money in bank required, and have never been asked for health insurance, but this was in the days when Thailand appeared to want ordinary folk as retirees, not only the super-rich

3 hours ago, Robin said:

1. Entering LOS on the new Visa exempt, or Tourist visa that can be converted to Non O?

2. Getting on a flight at LHR with no visa and no onward ticket?

3 Converting visa exempt to Non O and then getting extension for Retirement visa.

1) There are quit a few who have gone down that route.

2) you can rent an onward ticket (24~48 hours) for such a small amount it’s not worth the potential problems not having one brings

3) Again there are quite a few who have done this, depending on the office you use the money you have on deposit may be enough, some offices require proof of that money’s origin, some don’t , some may insist on new funds. So applying with at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay is a wise choice. 

On 7/15/2022 at 1:01 AM, Enjoylife1 said:

Thanks for your reply but i do not understand what you mean by "You cannot obtain a non O-A in Thailand"

Its sounds like you are saying that the easiest way is just to arrive on a tourist visa?

Yes, the easiest way is to arrive on the 30 day waiver and then get the 90 day Non O in country imo. 

Getting a visa agent to do the Non O in country makes it even easier.  They can get around the 800k requirement without you having to use your own money.  I know guys successfully doing this.

Edited by shdmn