Anyone with experience doing border runs via Laos?

csaba81

Before covid I used to do Chiang Mai - Mae Sai to extend my stay. I've been told that for the time being only Thais can use this crossing.

If you've used public transport to get up to Laos to do the same thing please let me know how you did it. I heard somewhere that you need to book a tour to cross into Laos.

before covid i did both as i was allowed 2 burma aka mae sai visits per year

laos used to give double visas back in the day ....and its a haul...there is a bus from CNX

took a few and broke up the trip--there was a yellow bus to KK then id take the local bus to laos.......also one to Udon thani..and lastly one long haul from CNX to Nong khai.....whew

if coming from bkk theres the train  or flights are cheap--i flew CNX to Udon and caught the air van to border via nok air...missed the flight back so caught bus from udon(10 hrs)

BUT ive been getting covid ext visas right here in CNX...sure saved me these long hauls

jut got ext #4 last week,,AND these covid exts are 60 days each!   1900 bt each ext

typically id get 30 days on arrival--ext in CNX then 2 burma runs and extend those 2x

30+30(ext) CNX   then burma #1 30+30(ext)  burma run 2 30+30(ext)=6 months w.out visa

I'm not sure whether the Mae Sot crossing is currently an option but apparently Chiang Khong is.

Unlike entering Myanmar at Mae Sai, you'd need a Laos visa, which you also have the option of obtaining in advance online (make sure to use the official government website).

Breaking the journey up with a night in Chiang Rai would be an option too.

Green Bus may be the best public transport option when coming from Chiang Mai: http://www.greenbusthailand.com/website/services/bus/time-table#c9

Here's a recent thread with some info on the Chiang Khong crossing: https://aseannow.com/topic/1265668-anyone-done-a-visa-run-from-chiang-rai-recently/

Good luck.

Edited by brotherother

18 hours ago, csaba81 said:

I heard somewhere that you need to book a tour to cross into Laos.

Long outdated.

Crossed from Nong Khai over the bridge yesterday and back in the afternoon.

Few Baht for shabby bus over the bridge and back.

(I am visa exempt so no visa on arrival cost)

I only did a border run. No visit to consulate.

Edited by KhunBENQ