Russian oligarch arrives in Samui on 3.9 billion baht super yacht - Thai media laps it up but eyebrows raised elsewhere

webfact

10 hours ago, ballpoint said:

This boat is currently based in Singapore and available for charter for 750,000 Euros per week, so I very much doubt if Alexander Svetakov is even on board.  It is also UK registered, flying the red ensign, (Svetakov continues to live, and run his business, in London), which is probably how it has escaped confiscation, so far.

The UK has sanctioned a number of Russians but not this one, that's why it has not been seized...it has not been sanctioned, neither has the owner.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The cheeky bugg..., Oligarch is flying what looks like the red ensign off

the rear of the ship, I thought the skull and crossbones would be more

appropriate .

regards worgeordie 

Not only does it appear to be an ensign, it is a defaced ensign. You need permission to even fly this flag legally.

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He has not been sanctioned and his yacht has not been listed as to be seized.  The article that you linked just shows a photo of the boat as one of a few owned by wealthy Russians, it does not state that he is sanctioned, that the boat is sanctioned or that it, specifically, should be seized.

Quote me where I claimed he had been personally sanctioned?

The article I linked to clearly states:

US and allies look to seize Russian oligarchs' megayachts among sanctions for Ukraine war

"The 246-foot Cloudbreak, valued at $98 million according to Forbes, is owned by Russian billionaire Alexander Svetakov"

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Well this might blow your mind.

While grain is not sanctioned, all Russian ships are and not only not allowed to dock but even pass through some waters and run a risk of being seized.

As i said brain washed people are simply incapable of independent thinking 

And just for the record, Africa is NOT Russian biggest buyers, Turkey, Iran and Egypt are 

I can assure you, nothing blows my mind when I read one of your posts especially your constantly resort to flaming

2 hours ago, papa al said:

2114 US sponsored coup of Ukraine govt,

installation of upper leaders,

and subsequent slaughter of 1000s

Russian speakers in East.?

you could have a good point there .     does the US  really do such things ?    I never heard anything

about that on CNN .  or NBC .    

Nah........ Putin is the bad guy .    

papa al :   whisper  ( sarcasm)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why, did he do something wrong.  Govts invade countries, not their citizens.

Did the world go after USA billionaire's assets when they invaded & occupied Nam, Iraq, Afghan.   I think not.  

Aren't you smart.  Do you have any useful advice or are you just here to show your intellect??  How about this-maybe the UK can start rejecting russian oligarchs instead of knighting them and creating a safe haven for their money.  That's a good start.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why, did he do something wrong.  Govts invade countries, not their citizens.

Did the world go after USA billionaire's assets when they invaded & occupied Nam, Iraq, Afghan.   I think not.  

"But mommy, Billy did this and Billy did that and why didn't you punish him?" How old are you, sonny? Did you happen to notice that this is not 70 years ago? You are drawing a false equivalency and injecting irrelevant topics to this one. You clearly don't understand what is going on, and what the difference is between Ukraine and other wars, you clearly don't want to actually educate yourself. I think you even might be Russian and a Putin supporter. Russian oligarchs are corruptly intertwined with Russian government officials and policy makers, the ones who wage and support these wars and often profit on them including and especially  Putin. They are often  as much extensions of the Russian government officials as the officials themselves. It's obvious to everyone but you that taking down these oligarchs is justified to oppose and put pressure on Putin. The sanctions were approved by and implemented by NATO countries, not just the US. Do you know what NATO is? This is today's world. I'm not going to explain it to you. I don't think anyone could, your mind is welded shut.  But it would seem that you support Putin's attack and war on the Ukrainian people and its innocent civilians. Do you salute every time you see a picture of Putin?

Edited by Jonathan Swift

8 hours ago, Ste56 said:
17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The cheeky bugg..., Oligarch is flying what looks like the red ensign off

the rear of the ship, I thought the skull and crossbones would be more

appropriate .

regards worgeordie 

Not only does it appear to be an ensign, it is a defaced ensign. You need permission to even fly this flag legally.

.... a defaced ensign you say ?>?>> ????????????

ooohhhh the outrage of the ill-informed...   these pages are fantastic examples of good ’n proper daily mail reader dumbassery.... 

Cloudbreak flies the ensign of the Cayman Islands.... Any vessel registered of the Cayman Islands is free to fly this flag.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

.... a defaced ensign you say ?>?>> ????????????

ooohhhh the outrage of the ill-informed...   these pages are fantastic examples of good ’n proper daily mail reader dumbassery.... 

Cloudbreak flies the ensign of the Cayman Islands.... Any vessel registered of the Cayman Islands is free to fly this flag.

I am so humbly sorry for my honest mistake,  I only seen the red flag

with the Union Jack in the corner. in my defence I said it" looked like ",

not that it was ......

regards Worgeordie

11 hours ago, Ste56 said:

You don't need permission to fly the Cayman Islands flag if the boat is registered in the Cayman Islands (which it is).

11 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Quote me where I claimed he had been personally sanctioned?

The article I linked to clearly states:

US and allies look to seize Russian oligarchs' megayachts among sanctions for Ukraine war

"The 246-foot Cloudbreak, valued at $98 million according to Forbes, is owned by Russian billionaire Alexander Svetakov"

You stated that his yacht was targeted for seizure.  To be seized he/his assets have to be sanctioned, and therefore you implied that he has been sanctioned.  He has not been sanctioned, so far.

That article does not state that "the following yachts have been sanctioned" and, therefore targeted, it is just a list of examples of Russian-owned boats.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You stated that his yacht was targeted for seizure.  To be seized he/his assets have to be sanctioned, and therefore you implied that he has been sanctioned.  He has not been sanctioned, so far.

That article does not state that "the following yachts have been sanctioned" and, therefore targeted, it is just a list of examples of Russian-owned boats.

My quote: "His yacht is named as one for seizure"

Based on this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/news/world/2022/03/04/russia-oligarch-sanctions-superyachts/9367299002/

I'll leave it there for you to debate further amongst yourself

14 hours ago, papa al said:

Egypt definitely not African.

If you really want to be that pedantic, yes it is, Only some ignorant people claiming Africa as in all of Africa, but if you really insist on being that pedantic , Egypt  is a transcontinental country spanning the northeast corner of Africa and southwest corner of Asia. so most certainly does not fall under "Africa is biggest buyer of Russian wheat"

On 7/18/2022 at 2:23 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Confiscate

Impound 

Seize 

All their assets 

Check all their belongings, tax them heavily. 

Chop, chop 

Again. Why are people so against the oligarks. Because they didn't clearly state they are against Putin. That's ridiculous. They are forcing the oligarks to be enemies of Putin and in the same process loose everything. When this war is over, it would for sure be more beneficial to not be Putin's enemy than be his enemy.

41 minutes ago, sead said:

Again. Why are people so against the oligarks. Because they didn't clearly state they are against Putin. That's ridiculous. They are forcing the oligarks to be enemies of Putin and in the same process loose everything. When this war is over, it would for sure be more beneficial to not be Putin's enemy than be his enemy.

I'll save my sympathies for the victims of Putin's war crimes rather than super corrupt Putin cronies with super yachts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'll save my sympathies for the victims of Putin's war crimes rather than super corrupt Putin cronies with super yachts.

Wouldn't it be nice that your PM is making <deleted> decisions and you are the one blaming it on

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, sead said:

If he's still alive.