Claiming UK State Pension

I turned 65 in March this year. I know my UK pension, (which is fully paid up), is not payable till my 66th birthday in March 2023.

However, I'm not clear whether I have to complete a Claim Form, or whether they have my records on file (!). I stopped contributing in 2009.

I checked online, but I'm not sure whether I've located the correct URL.

Has anyone here done this recently, (claimed and successfully received), and can they share their experience please, and relevant URL?

Many thanks.

12 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Applying outside the UK gives you the advantage of not receiving increases and being able to join in with all the others bleating and whining about being hard done by, etc.

There's also proof off life and 6 months delay in your pension payments as an added bonus.

Along with a load of paperwork if you claim outside the UK (no paperwork at all online).

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's also proof off life and 6 months delay in your pension payments as an added bonus.

Along with a load of paperwork if you claim outside the UK (no paperwork at all online).

My pension was never delayed. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, get yourself a free vpn. Make the claim online, don't tell them you're outside the UK. 

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-to-claim

You can't access the claim page without appearing to be in the UK. 

Ivacy is a very good VPN, very good price as well, easy to set up

https://billing.ivacy.com/page/97514

Edited by Seppius

55 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Ivacy is a very good VPN, very good price as well, easy to set up

https://billing.ivacy.com/page/97514

VeePN extension for Chrome is just as good and free.

Although I do pay $90/years for a London UK landline telephone number with Skype. Used it a lot when I was buying extra NI years, and also useful for talking with your UK banks, they can't tell you're not in London.

Edited by BritManToo

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Although I do pay $90/years for a London UK landline telephone number with Skype. Used it a lot when I was buying extra NI years, and also useful for talking with your UK banks, they can't tell you're not in London.

Why didn't you just use a UK mobile number? Giffgaff send sims to Thailand in a week. Costs about 2p a minute using Skype

Edited by scubascuba3

On 7/18/2022 at 5:56 PM, BritManToo said:

Cannot see the post you put up regarding everything on line,perhaps another thread.   Be aware third week September/third week April you most certainly will receive notification of % rise,followed by the actual increase in your pension by postal service.  None of these two letters need replying to,or sending back,bin them

On 7/18/2022 at 5:20 PM, BritManToo said:

Yes, get yourself a free vpn. Make the claim online, don't tell them you're outside the UK. 

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-to-claim

You can't access the claim page without appearing to be in the UK. 

I have to have a UK address to do that. I do not.

On 7/18/2022 at 5:42 PM, Upnotover said:

As far as I can see the first thing needed is your invitation code which they will send to your UK address, hopefully the OP has one and DWP have it on record.  As you need to be within 3 months of pension age he has plenty of time to get that sorted.

Failing that it is perfectly possible to apply without pretending to be in the UK. https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad

Applying outside the UK gives you the advantage of not receiving increases and being able to join in with all the others bleating and whining about being hard done by, etc.

Even applying through your website suggests that you have to have pension paid into a bank account abroad. I want it paid to my bank account in UK.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:28 PM, chickenslegs said:

I claimed by telephone (from Thailand) about 3 months ago. No paperwork, just a few security questions. I was surprised how easy it was.

I wonder which number you used. I tried the one of their website which was in an endless queue.

Also, I'm not clear whether you can claim 4 months prior to your 66th birthday, or only after your 66th birthday.

The claim from abroad also requests employment history abroad. I worked abroad for most of my life, but paid voluntary contributions to the maximum, which I had completed in 2009, (fully paid up).

9 minutes ago, samtam said:

Even applying through your website suggests that you have to have pension paid into a bank account abroad. I want it paid to my bank account in UK.

Not when I read it it doesn't;

Your State Pension can be paid into:

• a bank in the country you’re living in
  • a bank or building society in the UK

12 minutes ago, samtam said:

Also, I'm not clear whether you can claim 4 months prior to your 66th birthday, or only after your 66th birthday.

It says "You must be within 4 months of your State Pension age to claim."  which could be read both ways but actually means in the 4 months before.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, samtam said:

I wonder which number you used. I tried the one of their website which was in an endless queue.

I called Future Pensions on +44 191 218 3600 as close as possible to 9.00am UK time. No long delays at all. You can ask for a pension forecast.

I thought I was fully paid up, but found that I needed to pay some voluntary contributions (something to do with contracting out and changes to the pension in 2016).

39 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Not when I read it it doesn't;

Your State Pension can be paid into:

• a bank in the country you’re living in
  • a bank or building society in the UK

340543396_Screenshot(583).png.0b14fe02f69d65f514a6521d9db0653e.png

35 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

It says "You must be within 4 months of your State Pension age to claim."  which could be read both ways but actually means in the 4 months before.

Thanks, I thought it was ambiguous too.

11 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I called Future Pensions on +44 191 218 3600 as close as possible to 9.00am UK time. No long delays at all. You can ask for a pension forecast.

I thought I was fully paid up, but found that I needed to pay some voluntary contributions (something to do with contracting out and changes to the pension in 2016).

I will try that one. I called several and was finally given:

+44 800 731 0341 (International Pensions Centre)

where I waited, and waited.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:53 PM, samtam said:

I'm not clear whether I have to complete a Claim Form, or whether they have my records on file

1. Go to https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  2. Click the GREEN sign in button.
  3. Click “Create sign in details”
  4. Enter your email address where asked.
  5. You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
  6. You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account.

Once you have a Gateway account you will be able to enter your NI number and see what information they have regarding your NI contributions.

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

1. Go to https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  2. Click the GREEN sign in button.
  3. Click “Create sign in details”
  4. Enter your email address where asked.
  5. You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
  6. You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account.

Once you have a Gateway account you will be able to enter your NI number and see what information they have regarding your NI contributions.

Thank you. I completed, and I too find that I have a shortfall to complete my forecast, which surprises me, as I was informed in 2009 that I was fully paid up. In order to achieve the forecast, I have to contribute a further GBP800 per annum from 2005 to 2021. 

This does not make any sense to me!

Edited by samtam

3 minutes ago, samtam said:

Thank you. I completed, and I too find that I have a shortfall to complete my forecast, which surprises me, as I was informed in 2009 that I was fully paid up. In order to achieve the forecast, I have to contribute a further GBP795. I don't know how I can make that payment, as there does seem to be any form on the website, and the line is not currently being answered.

If you go into the gov.uk website and search for form IPC SU 117 you may find info about how to pay. IPC SU 117 is the form you have to send to HMRC with your payment (or to confirm your payment if you used online banking).  IPC117 - About your payment.pdf

Before you pay anything you need to speak to Future Pensions, who will explain the procedure to you. Staff there are very pleasant and helpful.

Also, if you were working abroad in any of the "missing" NI years, you may be able to pay Class 2 contributions - much cheaper than Class 3.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

If you go into the gov.uk website and search for form IPC SU 117 you may find info about how to pay. IPC SU 117 is the form you have to send to HMRC with your payment (or to confirm your payment if you used online banking).  IPC117 - About your payment.pdf

Before you pay anything you need to speak to Future Pensions, who will explain the procedure to you. Staff there are very pleasant and helpful.

Also, if you were working abroad in any of the "missing" NI years, you may be able to pay Class 2 contributions - much cheaper than Class 3.

Thanks. I changed my original reply. The shortfall seems to suggest I need to pay about GBP800 pa since 2005, which is completely barmy....about GBP12,800!

Edited by samtam

1 minute ago, samtam said:

Thanks. I changed my original reply. The shortfall seems to suggest I need to pay about GBP800 pa since 2005, which is completely barmy.

You need some advice.

I stopped paying NI in 2006. I was told that paying voluntary contributions for any years prior to 2016 would not increase my pension. So I paid 2016 to 2021, which increased my pension to just under the maximum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, samtam said:

Thank you. I completed, and I too find that I have a shortfall to complete my forecast, which surprises me, as I was informed in 2009 that I was fully paid up. In order to achieve the forecast, I have to contribute a further GBP800 per annum from 2005 to 2021. 

This does not make any sense to me!

Just came to mind that way back it was 30 years N.I. for full pension for a few years, then it was changed to 35 years for full pension....Perhaps you were caught in the transition..

14 minutes ago, samtam said:

Thanks. I changed my original reply. The shortfall seems to suggest I need to pay about GBP800 pa since 2005, which is completely barmy.

If I recall correctly, the Government Gateway tells you how many years AVC's you need to pay to reach your maximum. You then choose which years you want to pay.

Choose carefully as some years will not increase your pension (see my post above).

Note: You may not be able to reach the maximum pension, no matter how many AVC's you pay. I fall short by a few pounds a week.

Edited by chickenslegs

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Just came to mind that way back it was 30 years N.I. for full pension for a few years, then it was changed to 35 years for full pension....Perhaps you were caught in the transition..

That may well be the case. It would be great to talk to someone at the NI office. Will go and top up my phone and waste another 500 baht waiting on the line.

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

If I recall correctly, the Government Gateway tells you how many years AVC's you need to pay to reach your maximum. You then choose which years you want to pay.

Choose carefully as some years will not increase your pension (see my post above).

I do not understand the exorbitant amounts it seems to suggest I need to pay to fill the shortfall. I will try and get someone on the phone early morning their time.

My record begins with:

You have:

• 31 years of full contributions
  • 1 year to contribute before 5 April 2022
  • 16 years when you did not contribute enough

Edited by samtam

1 minute ago, samtam said:

I do not understand the exorbitant amounts it seems to suggest I need to pay to fill the shortfall. I will try and get someone on the phone early morning their time.

I had 35 years of NI contributions, but I was "contracted out" for all those years. My Gateway account told me that my expected weekly pension would be 143GBP and that this could be increased to 170GBP if I paid 5 years of AVC's, which I did.

• Like 1