Moderna vaccine for booster

Nabbiex

I enquire at Bangkok Hospital, Phuket about covid-19 booster & I got a reply saying they can offer me Moderna vaccine for around 1650B.

Already Having two Pfizer vaccines last Sept & Oct 2021, my guess is that the booster would be a worth against  omicron.

Hence I am no expert to make the right decision. Can anyone please tell me the recommendation whether to take the Moderna vaccine or not.   

Thanks. 

Edited by Nabbiex
clarify

46 minutes ago, bluemoon58 said:
10 hours ago, Nabbiex said:

Moderna vaccine for around 1650B.

All due respect Nabbiex but why are you paying for Covid shots? I

But Moderna was never free.

And at the time I got it, it was considered most efficient.

I am not up to a fourth shot considering the low risk by another infection 

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

It is advisable to get a booster.  The norm is now two vaccines and two boosters for a total of four.  Moderna being the booster of choice. 

This is good evidence based advice.

But I have a question (vaccination sceptics please don't bother responding).What happens after having taken the second booster?

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

I belive that the current recommendation in Thailand is 4 months between boosters for Pfizer/Moderna.

My first 2 doses was AstraZeneca vaccine (first at Bang Sue in Bangkok & second at Sports Stadium in Pattaya). I have since had 2 boosters. The first was Pfizer, also provided free by the Thai Government.  For the second booster I wanted Moderna which I obtained at Jomtien Hospital in Pattaya (part of the BDMS (Bangkok Hospital) group. The price was the same as charged by Bangkok Hospital Pattaya - 1,200 baht - done on a walk in basis. 

I had heard both 6 month and 5 month as being the interval between the Pfizer and Moderna - but upon inquiry prior to going there, Jomtien Hospital said I could get the Moderna vaccine so long as 4 months had elapsed since the Pfizer.

I had no side effects from the initial AZ vaccines and only a sore arm at the injection site for a few days with the Pfizer and Moderna doses. 

In all cases my Mor Prom record was updated within a day or two of getting the dose.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jayboy said:

But I have a question (vaccination sceptics please don't bother responding).What happens after having taken the second booster?

Wait 6 months until eligible for the next one assuming you are in Thailand. 

5 hours ago, sletraveler said:

My wife agrees on that. She refuses the vaccine because a number of people she has spoken to have had long-lasting effects from the vaccines. And as the virus has mutated to be much milder, if you're fit and healthy maybe there is no longer a big risk for you. I know someone who died from a blood clot from the AZ vaccine.

However I have had 2 x AZ followed by a Moderna booster and then a Pfizer booster. For me the benefits outweigh the risks.

22 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Well, my guess is that there will be modified vaccines available in time for the next booster. We get annual flu jabs so maybe that is the way Covid is heading.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It was certainly free when I had it at the Red Cross

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jayboy said:

From my understanding, the booster increases your antibody levels within your immune system, e.g. after your antibodies have waned after say 4-5 months to around 55% from any previous injection, less the longer you go without a booster.

The above said, the booster can increase the antibody levels up to say 80%.

Personally, I have had 3 shots of Pfizer and also had Omicron which was like a mild head cold, so I would suggest that the 1st booster worked well in protecting me, I am in my 60's and have an underlying condition.

I suppose one could say that even after contracting the virus, that it is equal to a 2nd booster shot as it also provides me with immunity, ok, but will I get an actual 2nd dose of Pfizer against this BA.5 variant and the 2.75 variant that is following the 2.75, even though they are still using the original vaccines, well that is like saying, do I want the full monte or a mild head cold if I am unfortunate to get it again, and at the rate the BA.5 is spreading overseas, I dare say I don't have many choices until they get an updated vaccine to the current strains, so long of the short is, I will be looking to get the 2nd Pfizer dose here as it won't be long before the BA.5 Is out of control here as well, suffice to say, it's like saying will I put on a rubber or take my chances, or as the saying goes, it's not over till the fat lady sings.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/20/covid-vaccine-booster-shots-can-fight-bapoint5but-millions-arent-boosted.html  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

All due respect Nabbiex but why are you paying for Covid shots? I can't speak for Phuket but here in Hua Hin, the government hospital and Red Cross are both vaccinating for free and have done so since the very start of when vaccines became available. The Red Cross here even give you a choice of which vaccine you would prefer.

We are at KK Ram hospital now, discussing the same as this post. 

Moderna here is 500B - we had a Pfizer booster at the local village hospital. We arrived at 7.30 - sat under a plastic tarp tent for an hour until the admin staff showed up, no social distancing, we then proceeded to snake around the car park, completing forms that have been completed twice already, only to get to the front of the queue where they couldn’t find the westerners name on the system. It was like this last time. We got out around 3-3.5 hours later. 

This was the second attempt to get a booster, the week previous was so busy, we walked away. 

I normally wouldnt consider this, but my wife and I were just thinking, paying 500B might be the way forward, combine it with a regular trip to the hospital rather than partake in this six monthly communal activity. 

I had two AZ which were free and two Moderna only the first was paid for.

At 72 still alive and kicking no major side effects.

Also a couple of months ago my wife and young daughter both contracted Covid, I didn’t 

She had received 2 Sinopharm and one Moderna, considering we all live in the same house and my wife and I share the same bed, maybe mine worked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Maybe some places don't have it but it has been free in Chiang Mai since it became available and fairly sure it's free in Bangkok as well. 

• Like 1

I had two pzifer shots,  Moderna for my 3rd shot 6 months afterwards which I believe is the recommendation.

I myself will be taking 4th shot of Moderna vaccine as will be travelling soon,  and want to avoid being serious too ill especially with the new variants that is going around.

Who knows when the updated version of the vaccine will be available for the new variants,  so I would get your booster now to protect yourself.

5 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

I belive that the current recommendation in Thailand is 4 months between boosters for Pfizer/Moderna.

Four months like Khun Jim mentioned.

"The CDC has approved a second COVID-19 booster for people age 50 and older that can be given 4 months after a first booster. People with moderate to severe immunosuppression are also eligible to receive an additional shot.

The CDC has also approved a second COVID-19 mRNA booster (Pfizer or Moderna) for people who received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and booster. The second booster can be given 4 months after the first booster."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/booster-shots-and-third-doses-for-covid19-vaccines-what-you-need-to-know

I believe it's a just a month if you we're unfortunate enough or not able to get an mRNA vaccine and were only offered either Sinopharm or Sinovac. 

"In case that 2 doses of Sinovac or Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine were given: Moderna COVID-19 vaccine should be administered 1-3 months apart from the second dose of Sinovac or Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine"

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/content/questions-about-moderna-covid-19-vaccine

6 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

All due respect Nabbiex but why are you paying for Covid shots? I can't speak for Phuket but here in Hua Hin, the government hospital and Red Cross are both vaccinating for free and have done so since the very start of when vaccines became available. The Red Cross here even give you a choice of which vaccine you would prefer.

I heard it was every Tuesday.  Excellent for people in Hua Hin or close by.

I was "bellyaching" about the unavailability of boosters here in Sakon Nakhon.   I told my wife I'm going to drive to Hua Hin!  (Great Place anytime!).

She walked into the room and said, they've got Pfeizer boosters until 12:00 PM.  

I'll miss the beach but I'm really happy to get my fourth booster.  I've had COVID once, I don't want to go through that again!

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I had two AZ which were free and two Moderna only the first was paid for.

At 72 still alive and kicking no major side effects.

Also a couple of months ago my wife and young daughter both contracted Covid, I didn’t 

She had received 2 Sinopharm and one Moderna, considering we all live in the same house and my wife and I share the same bed, maybe mine worked.

She's alive and didn't need a respirator or a hospital stay.

Looks like it worked for everyone.

Good! 

33 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

She's alive and didn't need a respirator or a hospital stay.

Looks like it worked for everyone.

Good! 

They are both ok but our daughter now six and was unvaccinated spent two nights in hospital due to high temperature and vommiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

Maybe some places don't have it but it has been free in Chiang Mai since it became available and fairly sure it's free in Bangkok as well. 

Seems the situation has changed. At the start of the vaccination campaigns Moderna was strictly for private hospitals and had to be paid for.

I got it in Khon Kaen organized by THG private hospital group.

Good to know it has changed.

Still I will wait with another shot.

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

They are both ok but our daughter now six and was unvaccinated spent two nights in hospital due to high temperature and vommiting.

Sorry to hear about your daughters struggle.  Hard on the parents for sure also. 

Our daughter 8 had one childs Pfeizer vaccine then got COVID.  Bad fever and cough.  Finally got her second vaccine two months ago.

Theres a lot of reluctance to get a boosters here in my parts of Issan, Unfortunately.  I'm in Sakon Nakhon near the border of Beung Khan.

Had 2x Pfizer 3 weeks apart, then Moderna after 5 months. At 216 days the booster is getting a bit worn, so I'm getting another b4 heading out to LOS.

But if I can't fit t in here I'll take the chance to go to Bang Sue to check out the new station ????

Edited by BusyB