Long traffic delays at Dover ferry port are fault of Brexit, claim French

onthedarkside

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

From your own protected link from which I can only read the following:

• Productivity malaise has held back economy for a over a decade
  • Economists divided on ultimate impact of U.K. leaving EU

Brexit was but a gleam in Farage's eye even a decade ago, so low relative productivity existed and lagged before 2016 and while were an EU member. Not news. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So, you're not taking credit for what that generation of UK soldiers accomplished? In that case, why bring it up at all? Why do the French or any other Europeans owe you anything?

I was making the point that money isn't the most important thing in the World and even if Brexit does cost the UK some money, the cost will be worth it , and I used the Second World war as an example of when the cause is more important than the cost

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So, you're not taking credit for what that generation of UK soldiers accomplished? In that case, why bring it up at all? Why do the French or any other Europeans owe you anything?

That is a ridiculous comment. No surprise there though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, the French should pay for their own immigration officers and not expect other Countries to pay for them .

The UK doesn't have a lot of leverage in that regard. It's the port of Dover that wanted more booths. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

From your own protected link from which I can only read the following:

• Productivity malaise has held back economy for a over a decade
  • Economists divided on ultimate impact of U.K. leaving EU

Brexit was but a gleam in Farage's eye even a decade ago, so low relative productivity existed and lagged before 2016 and while were an EU member. Not news. 

Which only makes even worse your original claim:

image.png.062e79e2f9572b2d6debe0761a45bc34.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The UK doesn't have a lot of leverage in that regard. It's the port of Dover that wanted more booths. 

The port of Dover wanted to install French passport booths in Dover , the British Government didn't want to install French passport booths in Dover .

Its the Frenches responsibility to install French passport booths in France and not to expect the U.K to install French passport booths in the U.K 

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

The port of Dover wanted to install French passport booths in Dover , the British Government didn't want to install French passport booths in Dover .

Its the Frenches responsibility to install French passport booths in France and not to expect the U.K to install French passport booths in the U.K 

Well, tell that to all the UK citizens suffering delays. I'm sure they'll take great consolation from that.

• Like 1

Well, tell that to all the UK citizens suffering delays. I'm sure they'll take great consolation from that.

All those people that had planned to go to France soon, will now stay in the U.K.

I expect Cornwall will be very busy with UK tourists these next few weeks 

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

All those people that had planned to go to France soon, will now stay in the U.K.

I expect Cornwall will be very busy with UK tourists these next few weeks 

Really? All? So the ferries are now empty? Cornwall is already an attractive summer option. Are the Cornish going to be building tent cities to accommodate all the tourists who were headed for the Continent?

Really? All? So the ferries are now empty? Cornwall is already an attractive summer option. Are the Cornish going to be building tent cities to accommodate all the tourists who were headed for the Continent?

No, there are hotels and guest houses in Cornwall and beaches are very nice 

Surfing Newquay | Guide to Surfing Fistral Beach Surf School | UK

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In life , the main object ISNT to get things done as quick as possible .

If people would have to get out of their cars , they would have to add five minutes onto their nine hour journey times 

Assuming that there are the same number of resources as previously, if it takes an extra 5 mins then the delay will pretty soon become significant as the additional delay is cumulative.

An extra 5 mins for the first in the queue is nothing, an extra 50 mins for the 10th starts to become irritating. For those further back, damaging.

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

Assuming that there are the same number of resources as previously, if it takes an extra 5 mins then the delay will pretty soon become significant as the additional delay is cumulative.

An extra 5 mins for the first in the queue is nothing, an extra 50 mins for the 10th starts to become irritating. For those further back, damaging.

However long it takes, France needed to take measures so there wouldn't be any disruption .

France needed to prepare to process all the people arriving , they didnt and thus there were delays

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Above, like pie in the sky? I remember one annoying poster from previous Brexit threads, who favoured the regular and pretentious use of Latin initialisms, is that you? 

Why don't you post a coherent counter argument rather than simply stick your head in the sand, and pretend that something which doesn't fit your narrative doesn't exist (when it is clearly plain to see)?

I do not use Latin very often.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RayC said:

Go tell the French about it then, they are making the problem..

Mon ami.....????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

However long it takes, France needed to take measures so there wouldn't be any disruption .

France needed to prepare to process all the people arriving , they didnt and thus there were delays

The UK government decided that the UK would be a third country. The delays - especially for UK leisure travelers - are (largely) as a result of that decision, but the 27  EU member states - delays are happening throughout the EU -  are the ones who are meant to fix the problem.

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

You mean if we were talking there our posts would make actually make a difference?

Well no, nobody cares what is said here about a car queue in Kent, England, but maybe you do....????

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Clearly, the Port of Dover executive disagrees with you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Well no, nobody cares what is said here about a car queue in Kent, England, but maybe you do....????

You mean if were both sitting somewhere in Kent posting to this forum it would make a difference? How does that work?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Ah , even now I've got around to blaming Brexit for the delays ??????

It was a technical glitch on the French side that............................................how many times do I need to say ?

You can say it as many times as you like. It was foretold that there would be major backups if the number of booths wasn't increased. And there are other reasons as well:

"But now French officials have to stamp passports and carry out a number of checks including:

• checking the identity page
  • checking the traveller hasn't been to the EU for more than 90 days in the last 180 days
  • checking if you have at least 3 months left on your passport
  • checking that your passport is issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country
  • checking the traveller has a return ticket
  • checking proof of insurance for your trip
  • asking whether the traveller has enough money to stay

Checking each person can take up to a minute, rather than a few seconds, transport expert Simon Calder told BBC Breakfast."

https://www.bbc.com/news/62294901

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Ah , even now I've got around to blaming Brexit for the delays ??????

It was a technical glitch on the French side that............................................how many times do I need to say ?

In this instance that may be the case but, as I mentioned previously, delays are being experienced throughout Europe.

Yes other factors such as staff shortages contribute to the delay, but don't you agree that the processing time for the 'All passports' queue is longer than it is for the 'EU' line? I'd call that a Brexit related delay.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You mean if were both sitting somewhere in Kent posting to this forum it would make a difference? How does that work?

I think you maybe getting a bit confused now chap....

Perhaps trying a bit too hard,eh.............:crazy: