Thai doctors say marijuana is a "danger" to society - call for immediate liberalization U-turn

webfact

2 hours ago, findlay13 said:

As usual a thought bubble becomes law before it's thought through but in Thailand  money is number 1

What is there to think about? Most those who use it now openly used it when it was illegal secretly. Sure, there some new users trying it out now that it's legal, and most those new ones won't become regular users - but even if they do, what's the problem? It's better, safer and healthier than alcohol and tobacco.

And the concern of underaged users - same thing. They probably used it before and also consume alcohol and tobacco illegally.

• Like 1

I recall overseeing a Law Enforcement international Sister Cities Exchange in the US Commonwealth of Kentucky. The exchange included local city police, the county police, and the State Police. While hosted by the Kentucky State Police a presentation was made by the police in the capital of Frankfort. At one point the statistic was cited that the Ky. State Police spent 50% of their funding on marijuana suppression. I made the comment that I could sit in a cafe in the Dutch city, have a coffee and smoke a joint without any issue. You could have heard a pin drop … of course, I already was aware that the largest “cash crop” in Kentucky had been illegal marijuana. You might check, but I do not think the Netherlands society is going to hell in a hand basket.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, starky said:

Are they equally concerned of the such ready availability of yaba and ice? Which are simple to get despite their illegality.

Are they concerned about the use of alcohol and tobacco products available literally every 5-10 metres nationwide?

Can we see the studies relating to recreational use of marijuana as a danger to public health?.

I suppose in reality putting any smoke, tobacco or cannabis, into your lungs can't be that good for you.

Edited by overherebc

44 minutes ago, Silencer said:

the real problem was there was no public discourse or planning before an "out of the blue" decision by Anutin was announced.

I don't believe military junta's are known for their public consultations.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MaiDong said:

There are many many more things that are a danger to society in Thailand than weed, I'd say the useless education system is multitudes more dangerous. 

you must mean the potholes on the sidewalks, and the signage posted right in the middle.

Would they really flip flop on an international level with this? I've seen flip flops here but this would be an international loss of face on an epic scale. The articles around the world on TV, YouTube, news agencies, etc was huge. The news would be seriously harsh and damaging about how Thai government reverses decriminalization of Marijuana.  

Weed is not the problem....the THC content is. 

My time the THC was a mere 3% ....now they growers have pumped this up to 25% and more. Weed is now psychotic. 

Alcohol content is controlled ... would/could you drink spirits with, say, 80 % alcohol? Hardly. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Moon6966 said:

Anybody can buy as much alcohol as they wish. But apparently the doctor don't see that as a problem 

But not with these stupid alcohol sales times!!!

It is easier for those in power to introduce bans on alcohol sales than to order shops to have alcohol buyers show their age by means of an ID card and to impose large fines for violations.

4 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

My time the THC was a mere 3% ....now they growers have pumped this up to 25% and more. Weed is now psychotic. 

Alcohol content is controlled ... would/could you drink spirits with, say, 80 % alcohol? Hardly. 

You have no idea what you are talking about brother, you are totally drinking that good propaganda...

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

According to many posters all levels of THC are legal if you grow it at home for your own use.

Edited by overherebc

7 minutes ago, thaichina said:

You have no idea what you are talking about brother, you are totally drinking that good propaganda...

I thought all you 'weed' smokers were supposed to be all 'laid back' and happy all the time, and never talked down to or badly about others?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

The whole industry is dedicated to dependence over cure. Yet we take whatever these people say about natural immunity and cures, and obviously viruses and vaccines at face value.?

No. We don't take them at face value. Modern medicine especially vaccine use was the subject of much discussion.

There is a brilliant rejection of modern medical trends regarding the surgery and chemical treatment  of children by the trans lobby  and supporters in the medical profession.

"Doctors and Physiotherapists - Butchers and Liars"

On you tube.

JP at his fiery  best!

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I thought all you 'weed' smokers were supposed to be all 'laid back' and happy all the time, and never talked down to or badly about others?

Well you are wrong because you too are drinking that good propaganda!!! Dont put all us " weed smokers " in one big bag of stupid stoners, you would be surprised!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaichina said:

Well you are wrong because you too are drinking that good propaganda!!! Dont put all us " weed smokers " in one big bag of stupid stoners, you would be surprised!

Seems to be making you a bit arguementative.

8 minutes ago, thaichina said:

The man is more dumb than cheech and chong after 10 bongs, else he wouldn't have said that. Imagine we would call everyone a dumb alcoholic when they drank 1 beer.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I wonder if these same brilliant doctors will also be worried for children and people in general, due to using 10x the desired amount of pesticides + not wash them the last weeks before harvesting and then letting us eat it.

Or to sit in the back of a pickup truck, or so many other things that are still poorly managed here. Or to only eat 10 baht noodles as of having no money, money that can be earned with hemp business and even improve the quality of the land.

Oh no they would not think about that for a second, they just care about this as of some generous donation coming from the alcohol lobby.

Let me guess, this is now 'scientific evidence' too? As it are doctors talking here.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

These guys are just now realizing all the side money to legalizing pot there was and is. And, they want some.

It is a huge threat to all the big businesses, you can replace them and make over 10,000 products from it. Thailand could be a leader in producing goods that replace plastic, paper and more. Now they are scared, you can't patent that.

I believe zero about the doctor and health narrative, they are paid to talk. Also, it would empower farmers, I guess they not like to see that.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

These guys are just now realizing all the side money to legalizing pot there was and is. And, they want some.

And they do not know how to tax it as well. I think the law was designed like this on purpose, they will collect money by bribes.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, starky said:

Are they equally concerned of the such ready availability of yaba and ice? Which are simple to get despite their illegality.

Are they concerned about the use of alcohol and tobacco products available literally every 5-10 metres nationwide?

Can we see the studies relating to recreational use of marijuana as a danger to public health?.

Your comment would suggest that they are concerned about Marijuana being legal, but not actually anyone taking it.

of course it´s going to be a health problem. Like all drugs as alcohol and tobacco. The question is just how many different substances we need to legalize to make people stay dumb and put.

8 hours ago, starky said:

Are you trying to say two wrongs make a right? 

3 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

I knew this sounded too good to be true. Hysterics and “reefer madness” experts rule the rhetoric.

There is always a way for Thailand to take two steps forward and five steps back.

Always, the place is forever going to be like this. 

Wait until the Thaksin affiliated parties get back in control again, they will be itching to get revenge on the Buriram mafia, and what is an easy way to do this? Criminalise the cannabis businesses again.