The Pub Has A New Name

blackcab

Why? If it wasn't broken, why change it?

Would have been helpful if some notice had been given that it was changing for a while BEFORE changing it.

It's not even obvious that it is the same as the Pub but with a different name, and I only found it because one of the posts was on the right hand side of the screen to link through.

I was looking for the subforum where posters can look for info about the forum, but that seems to have vanished, or hidden. Perhaps it's still there and I just missed it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why? If it wasn't broken, why change it?

Obviously a Thai racial slur against white folk is best not used in a forum read mainly by white folk.

Down with institutional racism!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

So we can now post on subjects that are not Thailand related?

Please read the forum description.

In your case, you can enter "the Lounge" and talk about whatever you like.(within forum rules)

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Found the forum support desk right down the bottom where I never look, but I was trying to find "the lounge" and had no luck with that.

It's a sub from the pub.

• Like 1

Looks like the lounge which has been dying a slow agonising death they are trying to breathe some life into. I never even knew it existed till I read this thread and this thread wouldn't have been read if I hadn't been looking for the pub. 

7 minutes ago, starky said:

Looks like the lounge which has been dying a slow agonising death they are trying to breathe some life into. I never even knew it existed till I read this thread and this thread wouldn't have been read if I hadn't been looking for the pub. 

It was previous difficult, maybe impossible to find .

I have previously looked in the forum lists (of different forums) and "The Pub" was nowhere to be seen , it was either well hidden or not there .

I couldn't find it 

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don’t understand; please can you explain that to me?

The suggestion was that the name has been changed to avoid using the term Farang (which some people find to be racist and offensive - not me).

I was using irony to describe this action as political correctness gone mad, a term often used when genuine racist and offensive words are changed/banned.

Just now, chickenslegs said:

The suggestion was that the name has been changed to avoid using the term Farang (which some people find to be racist and offensive - not me).

I was using irony to describe this action as political correctness gone mad, a term often used when genuine racist and offensive words are changed/banned.

I think generally people don’t use the term “political correctness gone mad” when genuinely offensive terms are changed; normally only when terms that they deem inoffensive (like ‘blackboard’ or ‘nine-man’s-Morris’, or ‘mantelpiece’) are banned.  Although Britmantoo postulated that the name change might be because of sensitivities over the term Farang, it might just be a way of bigging  up the Aseannow brand (if I can say ’bigging’ on a public forum - or ‘brand’ )

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think generally people don’t use the term “political correctness gone mad” when genuinely offensive terms are changed; normally only when terms that they deem inoffensive (like ‘blackboard’ or ‘nine-man’s-Morris’, or ‘mantelpiece’) are banned.  Although Britmantoo postulated that the name change might be because of sensitivities over the term Farang, it might just be a way of bigging  up the Aseannow brand (if I can say ’bigging’ on a public forum - or ‘brand’ )

Then you "get" my ironic post.

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Then you "get" my ironic post.

I am sorry that I did not appreciate (did not properly notice or understand) the irony - it was too close to a credible opinion of some of our fellow posters. My fault, for not knowing you well enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Great to see you back, ThaiBeachLovers.

I haven't gone anywhere, as I still look in on TVF or whatever it's called now, but I just got tired of the abuse from the usual suspects, so don't post much anymore.

I'll post if it's something non controversial ( so probably nothing on the resurrected World News ) that seems worthy of a comment.

In this case I thought it worth mentioning that some advance notice would have been helpful.

So, sorry if you thought I was back in previous posting mode as it's unlikely to happen.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1