Whitewater Rafting Season Starts in Phitsanulok

webfact

image.jpeg

PHITSANULOK, July 27 (TNA) – The famous whitewater rafting season of Phitsanulok has started in the Khek river.

The activity is suitable for tourists of all genders and ages. The Khek River offers from Level 1 to Level 5 of rafting difficulty and thus welcomes everyone from rookies to experienced adventurers. 

There are 17 sections of rapids on a distance of about eight kilometers and a rafting session takes about 2-3 hours.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-986673

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-07-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

After that news-blip the other day of body being found after rafting....

... mind boggling.  

DO YOUR RESEARCH ... if inexperienced, TH, IMHO, isn't the place to fulfil those thrill seeking experiences.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Looks fun

Yes it can be, and I have done a few white water rafting trips in NZ, mostly on the lower ranked runs, however I did try a level 5 and nearly died!!!

Although I was fully kitted up, the rafter leader said that we were going over a couple of high rocks and would drop down with the water, and there was a 50% chance the raft would overturn (or thereabouts), and it did, and in the struggle to get out from under the raft and find some air, I was pushed over to the far side of this particular stretch, which had a sort of cliff face, under which the water was gushing, and it was gushing.

They'd had some problems there in the past so hanging from this rockface were a couple of ropes with knots in, on which to hang, so I grabbed hold of one and hung on for dear life, all the while with the current pushing me against the rock and underneath it, which terrified me.

A couple of guys managed to throw a rope to me which was supported by miniature buoys, and it drifted my way and I gladly grabbed hold of it, and was pulled to the other side of the river.

I was exhausted and needed some time to get my breath back before we set off again.

I learned later on in the day that this was the most dangerous part of the river and just a couple of months previous to that a young man had died when the raft went over in exactly the same place, however he didn't surface, and he was later found (obviously dead) under the water with his foot wedged between a couple of rocks, so even the small lifejacket didn't help.

Moral of the story: – great to experience this on some of the lower ranked rivers, however if you get up to the number five river, then be prepared for some danger.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes it can be, and I have done a few white water rafting trips in NZ, mostly on the lower ranked runs, however I did try a level 5 and nearly died!!!

Although I was fully kitted up, the rafter leader said that we were going over a couple of high rocks and would drop down with the water, and there was a 50% chance the raft would overturn (or thereabouts), and it did, and in the struggle to get out from under the raft and find some air, I was pushed over to the far side of this particular stretch, which had a sort of cliff face, under which the water was gushing, and it was gushing.

They'd had some problems there in the past so hanging from this rockface were a couple of ropes with knots in, on which to hang, so I grabbed hold of one and hung on for dear life, all the while with the current pushing me against the rock and underneath it, which terrified me.

A couple of guys managed to throw a rope to me which was supported by miniature buoys, and it drifted my way and I gladly grabbed hold of it, and was pulled to the other side of the river.

I was exhausted and needed some time to get my breath back before we set off again.

I learned later on in the day that this was the most dangerous part of the river and just a couple of months previous to that a young man had died when the raft went over in exactly the same place, however he didn't surface, and he was later found (obviously dead) under the water with his foot wedged between a couple of rocks, so even the small lifejacket didn't help.

Moral of the story: – great to experience this on some of the lower ranked rivers, however if you get up to the number five river, then be prepared for some danger.

Pic of me (front right facing) on the NZ grade 5 around the early nineties!!

img389.jpg