Chances of being denied entry at DMK?

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

Tldr: Coming back on TR visa, afraid of being denied entry at DMK. What can I do in preparation?

I’m planning to go back to BKK after 3 weeks spent in my home country. After reading accounts of people being denied entry even WITH a valid TR visa, I’ve gotten a bit concerned about my fate when it comes.

Now my visa history goes like this:

06/21-07/21 entered with SETV

07/21-10/21 ED visa learning Thai (I can speak adequate Thai)
From 10/21 to 07/22 are 5 ED visa extensions

I canceled this visa on 21/7, the day before flying back to my country. That made my entire stay in Thailand 1 year. I had never been here prior to that.

The plan as advised by my new school is to apply for a TR visa from home, enter Thailand successfully and apply for another ED visa studying English this time. It just seems like the first step of getting in is the most difficult.

My questions are:

1. With a visa history like this, how likely will I be stopped and questioned by immigration at DMK?

2. I will have with me 20K cash in my home currency and onwards flight ticket. What else would I need to bring?

3. In the case of being stopped and questioned, would it be very dumb to say I am here on SETV because I want to apply for a ED visa later? Would it be better to stick to a tourist story?

Edited by uyenlaam

1. No

It helps you will of been outside the country for 3 weeks.

2. Nothing

3. A oward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa for entry. I don't think you will be questioned.

Why can't the school provide you with the required documents to apply for a non-ed visa at a embassy or official consulate before returning?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. No

It helps you will of been outside the country for 3 weeks.

That’s very relieving to hear! Now I just gotta get my TR visa approved.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why can't the school provide you with the required documents to apply for a non-ed visa at a embassy or official consulate before returning?

They mentioned it was better to apply for an ED visa in the country after I’d come back as by then latest entry details were shown.

4 hours ago, uyenlaam said:

They mentioned it was better to apply for an ED visa in the country after I’d come back as by then latest entry details were shown.

Yes, my understanding is that (for studying at an informal school) it is difficult to get an Non ED visa (or extension) in country after 12 months continuously in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes, my understanding is that (for studying at an informal school) it is difficult to get an Non ED visa (or extension) in country after 12 months continuously in Thailand.

That was the reason they gave me as well.

If they hassle you a bit just say you are a business owner, and coming back again for a holiday to also consider purchasing property or opening a business. They might give a ugly look but still let you in anyway. 

You could say anything and still get let in anyways, but this one is usually hassle free. Doubt they will look twice, it helps a lot if you returned to your home country rather than a 3 day visa run (proofs you have cashflow).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If they hassle you a bit just say you are a business owner, and coming back again for a holiday to also consider purchasing property or opening a business. They might give a ugly look but still let you in anyway. 

You could say anything and still get let in anyways, but this one is usually hassle free. Doubt they will look twice, it helps a lot if you returned to your home country rather than a 3 day visa run (proofs you have cashflow).

or tell them you are here to check for a land to buy and will spend 40million baht for that. 

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Business owners don't have a history of Education Visa's

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, uyenlaam said:

Thanks for the suggestions but I think being a 23-year-old from a third world country it would be a tad bit difficult to convince them haha

Also, be aware that those from certain countries are subjected to greater scrutiny. Ideally, if from some 3rd world countries, it would be better to enter via Chiang Mai airport than DMK, as Chiang Mai airport has no history of denying entry to those holding visas (other than pursuant to Section 12 of the Immigration Act). Even entering via DMK, you would be truly unlucky to be denied entry.

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Also, be aware that those from certain countries are subjected to greater scrutiny. Ideally, if from some 3rd world countries, it would be better to enter via Chiang Mai airport than DMK, as Chiang Mai airport has no history of denying entry to those holding visas (other than pursuant to Section 12 of the Immigration Act). Even entering via DMK, you would be truly unlucky to be denied entry.

I think it is a bit much to compare which airports to use based upon what was happening before 2020 when covid 19 started. There has not been a enough reports of people being denied entry since the country opened up a few months ago.

I think I have heard of 2 cases and they were short on info.

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

Also, be aware that those from certain countries are subjected to greater scrutiny. Ideally, if from some 3rd world countries, it would be better to enter via Chiang Mai airport than DMK, as Chiang Mai airport has no history of denying entry to those holding visas (other than pursuant to Section 12 of the Immigration Act).

Full disclosure, I'm a Vietnamese citizen. Afaik, Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang are the only airports with direct flights from Vietnam.

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

Even entering via DMK, you would be truly unlucky to be denied entry.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think it is a bit much to compare which airports to use based upon what was happening before 2020 when covid 19 started. There has not been a enough reports of people being denied entry since the country opened up a few months ago.

I think I have heard of 2 cases and they were short on info.

You guys are the best! I'm betting on my chance to enter Thailand without any problems.

21 minutes ago, uyenlaam said:

You guys are the best! I'm betting on my chance to enter Thailand without any problems

First up I don't believe you will have any issue entering thailand.

I did wonder about your flight route entering at DMK 

Together with username had a guess at Vietnamese.

Pre covid times DMK did a few refusal of entry however it was quick turn around visa exempt entry (in the main).

Also not from home country. 

Previously there were flights eg Saigon to CNX. Not sure of current state of play..

Before covid I was flying to Saigon every month for a long time.

Always AirAsia via DMK.

Only ever saw few guys questioned.

Personally don't agree with some of the reasons for spending lot of time in Thailand suggested in this thread.

Less is best. Recall one guy that had a clear itinerary to show with bookings etc.

Most likely bogus but not the point. 

On top of all that you are planning to enter with a visa.

You won't have any issues. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up I don't believe you will have any issue entering thailand.

I did wonder about your flight route entering at DMK 

Together with username had a guess at Vietnamese.

Pre covid times DMK did a few refusal of entry however it was quick turn around visa exempt entry (in the main).

Also not from home country. 

Previously there were flights eg Saigon to CNX. Not sure of current state of play..

Before covid I was flying to Saigon every month for a long time.

Always AirAsia via DMK.

Only ever saw few guys questioned.

Personally don't agree with some of the reasons for spending lot of time in Thailand suggested in this thread.

Less is best. Recall one guy that had a clear itinerary to show with bookings etc.

Most likely bogus but not the point. 

On top of all that you are planning to enter with a visa.

You won't have any issues. 

You would be correct - there are flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Chiang Mai. I however am departing from Hanoi.

I was pondering the possibility of the HAN-SGN-CNX route for a moment but after the comments on this thread I think that would be overkill.

Edited by uyenlaam