uk sim card

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Then the Giffgaff sim is a must for people without UK address.

Indeed.  If it's purpose is mainly/only to receive texts from a UK bank from time to time then all that is needed to keep it activated is to send a text every 6 months.  A £10 credit will last something like 15 years.  Ought to be in line with the budget of even the most frugal "expat".

• Thanks 1

Just now, Upnotover said:

Indeed.  If it's purpose is mainly/only to receive texts from a UK bank from time to time then all that is needed to keep it activated is to send a text every 6 months.  A £10 credit will last something like 15 years.  Ought to be in line with the budget of even the most frugal "expat".

And how does it perform in the UK? What are the data/ Web options

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

There is no contract commitment only need to buy a monthly credit as and when needed.  So if visiting for a few weeks a £10 1 month credit will give unlimited UK calls and texts and 12gb or so data.

Giffgaff- top service, lots of top up options and send a text every 6 months to keep it active.

Lost my sim coming back to Thailand a couple of years ago, luckily I had a spare, Giffgaff ported my number and credit to the new sim very easily, happy ???? 

I used to use Giffgaff and still have 2 active Sims but o2 signal which they use is poor where I'm moving to shortly

Switched to Lebara Sim runs off Vodaphone and absolute dogs bollacks even better than GG

Even still have 30gb included in EU roaming (unrelated)

Extremely easy to use website as well with live chat which GG doesnt have

Free obviously to receive SMS no matter where you are

Edited by Chivas

On 7/28/2022 at 3:05 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Works ok. Options are too many to list, have a look on the website.

They have what they call "goody bags" that last 30 days at various prices. When I was there in May I got a £12 one, think it was 15GB of data and more calls/texts than I can deal with. Only used about half the data.

My wife used to piggyback mine when we were there but this time got her one for herself using my account, we both got £5 credit.

Roaming charges can a bit high but here in Thailand I only switch it on to use banking apps.

When I first got mine it was sent to my Thai address and I activated it here, all set up for when I landed in UK.

I had a Lebara sim before that but that is quite a short top up, I thought 3 months but in fact it was 12 weeks and lost the sim by a few days.

59 minutes ago, Stocky said:

O2? The question was use in Thailand, GiffGaff works fine on AIS.

My O2 seems to be connected to dtac here in Phitsanulok, even though there is AIS available.

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So how can you get OTPs from UK banks etc if you need them?

There's an option on your phone to choose only your Thai sim for outbound usage, but that won't prevent inbound messages from your UK sim. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaiDong said:

There's an option on your phone to choose only your Thai sim for outbound usage, but that won't prevent inbound messages from your UK sim. 

I was replying to Hammer2021 who said he turned his UK SIM off, so he would not get any messages.

Edited by KannikaP

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So how can you get OTPs from UK banks etc if you need them?

If you have a dual sim phone, you can control what sim does what in the Sim Manager on the phone.

Thai sim make receive all, Uk sim msg only, as an example.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 3:04 PM, Upnotover said:

why not get e mails????????

or through the post???