Drivers License Exam Questions

Qman

I was away from Thailand for two years and my drivers licenses expired.  I went to renew and was told that as they expired over one year ago I will need to do two hours training at the license office and take the license exam in about 10 days.  The exam concerns me as I have seen some old ones online and due to translation into English and Thai driving rules it is not very straightforward and it might be easy to fail the exam.  Does anyone have recent experience with taking the licensing exam?  If so, can you provide guidance regarding sources to study and the best way to prepare for the exam.  Any other thoughts would also be appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

I am from the UK, we also drive on the LHS.

I have only noticed one difference with the law here, if you are on the main road turning right into a side road, people exiting the side road have priority and you must give way, it is totally the opposite in the UK.

Then you have local customs, in Chiang Rai we only have one roundabout, it is fed by a dual carriageway each side and two side roads perpendicular to the dual carriageway.  All the approach roads are clearly marked with white stop lines on the road, but drivers on the dual carriageway think they have priority.  I witnessed an accident there once and discussing with the insurance assessor he told me that the guy who thought he could cross the white line straight onto the roundabout was at fault, i.e. exactly the same as in the UK (I think France is different)

Depends on your location,  in Pattaya! 

If you got a International Permit with stamp for Motorbike you can bypass the written test. 

There are approx 3 set of test comprising of 50 questions each the set with answer can be purchased on Soi Pothole Canterberry book store.  

• Like 2

I'm curious as to you having to sit a written exam?

I'd consider going to other Transport offices and seeing what they say.

I can understand, if you hailed from a nation that is known as producing poor drivers and an equally poor driver ed/teaching system, you being told you need to sit for a written exam, but with a full English license???!

If you are very young this might have something to do with it as I was told by one of the senior manager-fellas at Phuket transport they often direct falang youngsters to the ed and test streams as well as those known to drive very poorly in their home nations. I have no way to verify if this is Transport department fact.

I was an emigre from Australia to LOS. with 46 year driving experience with multiple types of driving licenses, we also drive on the left.

I never 'renewed' an expired Thai license so maybe as you wonder in your post, yours being expired is the simple reason for you needing to sit for an exam ... and perhaps its a newish edict for falang drivers? Maybe its just cause you look shifty lol   ????????????????

The Honda driving schools are good I hear, and as far as I can remember being told by a few folks on the island they help with mock exams questions so you have a good feel for the actual exam questions on the day.

I got my new (first time 2 year) Thai license in early 2019 (as a retiree) and I didn't have to sit for any written exam.

But, this was at Phuket offices, and as we all know, colloquial nuances make for colourful, and disparate experiences through any government department here.

For me a reflex and eye test, and accompanying current Australian license, as well as my International Drivers Permit for my first 2 year license.

My 5 year renewal of that 2 year license (not expired but coming due to expire) was simple as pie also and a matter of paperwork reflex and eye exam (same as for my 2 year car, truck (articulated vehicles) , and motocy license).

Good luck ????

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

If it is more than one year since your Thai license expired then you do have to take the written test.  If it is more than 3 years, you have to do the written test and the practical (driving) test.

I'm surprised and then not surprised that they told "Qman" he couldn't renew.  Yet again I think you must be careful about which office you go to and how you conduct yourself while there.

I renewed mine in Pattaya when it had expired 2½ years before.  Yes, an agent told me I had to go back to square one as it was over a year.  But I just went to the desk in my best suit, white shirt and tie.  I asked no questions, had everything ready and said "I've come to renew my licences" and they did.  It really doesn't help you to ask any questions at all in Thailand and to remember that the default answer is "Yes" to everything.  Ensure officials are always in charge and be extra polite.

There was an article I read that said while the emergency decree was in force because of the pandemic, that you could renew expired licences up to when three years had passed.  Lots of regulations were side-lined and the pandemic is still going.  Even the Police and Insurance companies were treating expired licences as valid as well.  That may have ended but I don't think so as I haven't checked.  If it was me, I'd just ignore the fact that I'd been refused and just go there and try again or better, try at another DLT Office.  I only got my Thai Bank account by persisting in the same way at loads of branches.

9 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Depends on your location,  in Pattaya! 

If you got a International Permit with stamp for Motorbike you can bypass the written test. 

There are approx 3 set of test comprising of 50 questions each the set with answer can be purchased on Soi Pothole Canterberry book store.  

I don't have an international driving license although I did previously when getting the original licenses.  As I understand the process if you use that you only get the two year license.  At least I can go for the five year version by taking the test.  I will look into Canterberry to see what they currently have.

9 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I can understand, if you hailed from a nation that is known as producing poor drivers and an equally poor driver ed/teaching system, you being told you need to sit for a written exam, but with a full English license???!

If you are very young this might have something to do with it as I was told by one of the senior manager-fellas at Phuket transport they often direct falang youngsters to the ed and test streams as well as those known to drive very poorly in their home nations. I have no way to verify if this is Transport department fact.

I was an emigre from Australia to LOS. with 46 year driving experience with multiple types of driving licenses, we also drive on the left.

I never 'renewed' an expired Thai license so maybe as you wonder in your post, yours being expired is the simple reason for you needing to sit for an exam ... and perhaps its a newish edict for falang drivers? Maybe its just cause you look shifty lol   ????????????????

The Honda driving schools are good I hear, and as far as I can remember being told by a few folks on the island they help with mock exams questions so you have a good feel for the actual exam questions on the day.

I got my new (first time 2 year) Thai license in early 2019 (as a retiree) and I didn't have to sit for any written exam.

But, this was at Phuket offices, and as we all know, colloquial nuances make for colourful, and disparate experiences through any government department here.

For me a reflex and eye test, and accompanying current Australian license, as well as my International Drivers Permit for my first 2 year license.

My 5 year renewal of that 2 year license (not expired but coming due to expire) was simple as pie also and a matter of paperwork reflex and eye exam (same as for my 2 year car, truck (articulated vehicles) , and motocy license).

Good luck ????

As I am "renewing" a license which expired over one year ago I must take two hours of training on site which I believe is watching videos and the written test.  I do not have to do the physical driving test.  I just go caught out by covid and missing the renewal window by a couple of months.  

2 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

I'm surprised and then not surprised that they told "Qman" he couldn't renew.  Yet again I think you must be careful about which office you go to and how you conduct yourself while there.

I renewed mine in Pattaya when it had expired 2½ years before.  Yes, an agent told me I had to go back to square one as it was over a year.  But I just went to the desk in my best suit, white shirt and tie.  I asked no questions, had everything ready and said "I've come to renew my licences" and they did.  It really doesn't help you to ask any questions at all in Thailand and to remember that the default answer is "Yes" to everything.  Ensure officials are always in charge and be extra polite.

There was an article I read that said while the emergency decree was in force because of the pandemic, that you could renew expired licences up to when three years had passed.  Lots of regulations were side-lined and the pandemic is still going.  Even the Police and Insurance companies were treating expired licences as valid as well.  That may have ended but I don't think so as I haven't checked.  If it was me, I'd just ignore the fact that I'd been refused and just go there and try again or better, try at another DLT Office.  I only got my Thai Bank account by persisting in the same way at loads of branches.

The current process in Pattaya is you talk to the representative outside the building at temporary looking facilities similar to what they have outside Immigration in Jomtien.  They reviewed all my documents which I had for renewal.  You must make an appointment, no walk ins now, and since farangs cannot do online this is the process.  All seems to be the new process for renewals and first time applicants.  My paper is specific for renewals over one year. 1256175376_LicenseProcess.jpg.957f84c9aab3adac284efcd22ba01103.jpg

11 hours ago, crazykopite said:

If a Thai can pass the driving test you can 

My wifes daughter went to a driving school in central plains.

I swear to Buddha that after her 8th time behind the wheel of the instructors car on the 500 metre obstacle course, they figured it was easier to just give her a licence.

Gearbox and clutch repairs would have cost them a fortune.

That was 2 years ago and she still has not driven a car (thankfully.)

Edited by Lucky Bones
Sp.
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think you shouldn't have applied to 're-new your Thai DL' instead apply for a Thai DL with your home country licence just have to pass reaction and eye tests.

Brian, I think you got it in one here, apply with your o/s licence, not renew.

If there is a lesson or 2 to be learned for anyone, I would suggest always get a IDP if you intend driving.

Also, do not try to renew a overly expired licence, transfer from your home country.

A good agent (with contacts in your local DLT can also be of assistance (yes, everything costs here).

Good Luck

On 7/29/2022 at 8:11 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I have only noticed one difference with the law here, if you are on the main road turning right into a side road, people exiting the side road have priority and you must give way, it is totally the opposite in the UK.

Then you have local customs, in Chiang Rai we only have one roundabout, it is fed by a dual carriageway each side and two side roads perpendicular to the dual carriageway.  All the approach roads are clearly marked with white stop lines on the road, but drivers on the dual carriageway think they have priority.  I witnessed an accident there once and discussing with the insurance assessor he told me that the guy who thought he could cross the white line straight onto the roundabout was at fault, i.e. exactly the same as in the UK (I think France is different)

I think what you state in. your second paragraph might be common practice rather than law.

At traffic lights drivers turn right in front of oncoming traffic.

According to the police and DLT officials I have spoken to they do not legally have the right of way.

On 7/31/2022 at 5:22 PM, StevieAus said:

I think what you state in. your second paragraph might be common practice rather than law.

At traffic lights drivers turn right in front of oncoming traffic.

According to the police and DLT officials I have spoken to they do not legally have the right of way.

Traffic lights is a different case.  What I said is actually the law, not custom. When you are turning right into a side road, traffic exiting turning right onto the main road have priority.

I saw a poster about this on the steps up to the 2nd floor in the Pattaya driving licence centre and it sometimes features in driving tests on the computer.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:33 PM, soisanuk said:

If it is more than one year since your Thai license expired then you do have to take the written test.  If it is more than 3 years, you have to do the written test and the practical (driving) test.

Exactly, full UK license, IDP and I had 2x 5 year Thai licenses in the past, but was 3 years out of date.

I had to do the whole nine yards in Pattaya, you can do it I believe if you use an "agent" but will cost B5000 up

passed 2nd time 45/50 questions right

On 8/3/2022 at 11:39 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Traffic lights is a different case.  What I said is actually the law, not custom. When you are turning right into a side road, traffic exiting turning right onto the main road have priority.

I saw a poster about this on the steps up to the 2nd floor in the Pattaya driving licence centre and it sometimes features in driving tests on the computer.

Are you saying that the driver turning out of the side road has priority over all traffic traveling towards them or only the car turning right into their road?

If the former is the case it would potentially cause mayhem on two or three lane roads.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:11 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Yeah I noticed  that right turn thing!

7 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Are you saying that the driver turning out of the side road has priority over all traffic traveling towards them or only the car turning right into their road?

If the former is the case it would potentially cause mayhem on two or three lane roads.

The car exiting the junction from a side road (turning right) has priority over the car on the main road turning right into the side road.