We are finding it hard to retain staff. Many resign and dont give notice.

Just now, KIngsofisaan said:

Do you really think these folks can afford to travel?

Man, so many people have no idea how many people in rural Isaan actually have to live like this and are lucky to eat each day.

Isaan 1.jpg

Issan 2.jpg

As far as being lazy, lets see you and your wife survive this for one 10 hour day when it is 40c outside!

issan 3.jpg

2 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Man, so many people have no idea how many people in rural Isaan actually have to live like this and are lucky to eat each day.

Isaan 1.jpg

Issan 2.jpg

Must have been richer them most .

Many people can only afford bamboo huts .

Bamboo huts where you can see through the "wall"

Those block houses would be luxurious for some and BTW , not a good idea to use one of those stoves inside , can cause death 

On 7/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Somehow I get the impression you want to analyze this situation with logic. That's a hilarious idea.

There are logical reasons why the OP's business experiences high employee turnover and the owner/operator is asking for help to retain employees.  Nothing is hilarious about it, he wants a prosperous business.

As others have identified, the 500 baht monthly lunch money is sufficient cause to leave. A half decent Thai lunch costs 50-70 baht. Many places provide a lunch in-house, to make it more convenient for the employees and avoid cash payouts.

Many Thai people do want to work for a decent employer and a decent wage. I know of businesses in Thailand (Pattaya) where about half the staff have been with the company for 10 years or more, before COVID-19.  There are numerous critical success factors to retain employees and the OP's business is missing some of them, all very logical

Edited by Banana7

16 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I think you are wrong about people not looking ahead.

Why do you think so many want to work for the government whether local, national or whatever.?

Its because unless they commit a criminal act, they have a job for life.

They generally work five days a week, receive all the public and religious holidays off work with pay, sick pay , holiday pay and a pension when they retire.

well yes.  and as I was saying, that is why your average shop or business can't retain people.  A few lunches here and there don't seem that notable after a while

5 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Do you  really think I  have no experience............right  now theres a  huge  amount of  those  "poor"  conning employers  that if they pay ther travel fares  down they will  come mostly for farm work, read ome of the facebok "wanted "  ads  for workers............guess  what, they get sent the money and dont show. 

As  I mentioned I  have  had  people   on this forum tell me they have someone good  for the job, Ive paid the fares  down, theyve been useless.

When they do turn up "if  they do" they arrive with nothing, want paying daily, which we do, they get through about 2-3  months max then off they go...........later youll find out they have no  job again form relatives in the village.

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Must have been richer them most .

Many people can only afford bamboo huts .

Bamboo huts where you can see through the "wall"

Those block houses would be luxurious for some and BTW , not a good idea to use one of those stoves inside , can cause death 

And  those  "poor" ALL have  a phone, never  seen staff without one ever.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

As far as being lazy, lets see you and your wife survive this for one 10 hour day when it is 40c outside!

issan 3.jpg

Heres  where  many make the mistake with ME  that I  tell them (staff) what to do..I dont Im out there doing it, day in day  out for  over 10  years, building houses,  digging trenches,  laying  block ,welding roofs, weeding, in 40c  sometimes where you  burn your knees  on the steel but  closing in on 60 its  getting harder for me, saying that the  youngsters have no gumption.

You get used to it and its  NOT that  hard you  just get on with it, first thing I  look for in new workers  is  calloused  hands  like mine, often theyre  puppy  soft so i  know they havent done any manual work. Its me doing the work  the staffs  only  job is either to mix  the concrete ( concrete  mixer) and bring it  to me or cleaning up  tools  after Im done.

Only thing I couldnt do was the rendering which I got some locals  in for.

Some of the recentish things Ive done built a  garage 12 mx4, did everything and  finally laid  tiles . None of them have much in the way of  skills I  just want someone to keep it tidy  bring and fetch stuff pass me things so their work is often watching me and nothing else, until I need a new  mix  or  cleaning  up but its  me laying the tiles  grouting putting up ceilings etc.

block 1st  row.jpg

20190321_120942.jpg

20190603_163358.jpg

20190716_060454.jpg

213765242_4218986291470265_8665042269825721163_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

There are logical reasons why the OP's business experiences high employee turnover and the owner/operator is asking for help to retain employees.  Nothing is hilarious about it, he wants a prosperous business.

As others have identified, the 500 baht monthly lunch money is sufficient cause to leave. A half decent Thai lunch costs 50-70 baht. Many places provide a lunch in-house, to make it more convenient for the employees and avoid cash payouts.

Many Thai people do want to work for a decent employer and a decent wage. I know of businesses in Thailand (Pattaya) where about half the staff have been with the company for 10 years or more, before COVID-19.  There are numerous critical success factors to retain employees and the OP's business is missing some of them, all very logical

You must be one of the rare people who understand Thai logic.

With higher educated Thais there is of course some logic. But with people in low paid jobs most of us have difficulties to understand the. And, as I mentioned above, it seems many workers don't know themselves what they want and will do in a few weeks time. How can anybody predict what they will do if they don't even know themselves? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

well yes.  and as I was saying, that is why your average shop or business can't retain people.  A few lunches here and there don't seem that notable after a while

Some business seem to retain them. Where I live in Northern Chiang Mai Province I see the same people working for the same business and they have been there more than ten years, maybe they are looked after.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Heres  where  many make the mistake with ME  that I  tell them (staff) what to do..I dont Im out there doing it, day in day  out for  over 10  years, building houses,  digging trenches,  laying  block ,welding roofs, weeding, in 40c  sometimes where you  burn your knees  on the steel but  closing in on 60 its  getting harder for me, saying that the  youngsters have no gumption.

You get used to it and its  NOT that  hard you  just get on with it, first thing I  look for in new workers  is  calloused  hands  like mine, often theyre  puppy  soft so i  know they havent done any manual work. Its me doing the work  the staffs  only  job is either to mix  the concrete ( concrete  mixer) and bring it  to me or cleaning up  tools  after Im done.

Only thing I couldnt do was the rendering which I got some locals  in for.

Some of the recentish things Ive done built a  garage 12 mx4, did everything and  finally laid  tiles . None of them have much in the way of  skills I  just want someone to keep it tidy  bring and fetch stuff pass me things so their work is often watching me and nothing else, until I need a new  mix  or  cleaning  up but its  me laying the tiles  grouting putting up ceilings etc.

block 1st  row.jpg

20190321_120942.jpg

20190603_163358.jpg

20190716_060454.jpg

213765242_4218986291470265_8665042269825721163_n.jpg

No you haven't been building houses out in the 40c sun for 10 years, sorry. It might have taken you 10 years to do some simple building project others could do in a couple days (as shown)

You have shown 1 simple project

Pretty arrogant of you to compare that to someone who spends their entire life out in the direct sun cutting crops

Not sure how laying tile indoors is the same thing?

Odd thing is there is no photos of you doing anything?

Well you never know.

I know a guy in Philippines, did school in medical job. Paid by his mom. He graduated and could even have a job teaching in medical job.

No, he became a barista.

A docu on tv showed me a child in Africa, 10 years old, doing hard labor, carrying 20 kg bags, 12 hours /day for just a dime.

No parents, just had to do it to provide(?) for himself. In other countries kids cant do work and certainly not at his age and the work.

And there were more kids doing that "job". He was about the youngest. And certainly not "nice" leading personnel, which of course were adults.

Already red from Thailand, hotels couldnt get workers, even paying them way more.

Still Thai go to Finland to pick berries, it seemed it had some improved, but you have to travel there, making first costs.

Now in "my" country, we have lack of all working people. Nurses, police, teachers, operators, doctors, but also working hands in kitchens of restaurants or serving. Also at the airport there is a shortage on luggage handlers and security people. There can be lines of people waiting OUTSIDE for a 100 meter or more. I red salary went down in years from 3500 to 2200 euro. It is a miracle there are still security personnel working there. Maybe independent workers then, as they ask way much more. However more airports in EU having that problem.

Why you have that problem in your business, i cant say. But saying "i will teach her a lesson" mentality is not a good way in running your business.

I can understand your emotion, but just stick to business wise. Accept, do what you have too do and leave it.

And why they are running away? The answer my friend is blowing in the wind. 

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, steven100 said:

you really think a thai girl coming from an Issan rice farm is going to care about breaking the contract ?

what will they do .... track her down and put her in jail ....   Lol

they break the contract, you don't pay them......duh
as you are no longer legally oblidged too
i bet you think work manuals are a waste of time also LOL

who is talking about putting anyone in jail
get a life ????‍♂️

Edited by patman30

3 hours ago, patman30 said:

get a life ????‍♂️

if you go back to my comment,  I was referring to a poster who mentioned she would void her contract if she didn't go back ....        

please try to keep up ...

6 hours ago, patman30 said:

get a life ????‍♂️

contracts in thailand are not worth much. they would be completely ignored by any worker

13 hours ago, jack71 said:

contracts in thailand are not worth much. they would be completely ignored by any worker

Not true but yes, getting someone to fulfill their notice period can be difficult and since it’s rarely worth much, it wouldn’t be worth the hassle to enforce. 
It’s still a good idea to have a solid employment contract though for all other things. 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:58 PM, KIngsofisaan said:

No you haven't been building houses out in the 40c sun for 10 years, sorry. It might have taken you 10 years to do some simple building project others could do in a couple days (as shown)

You have shown 1 simple project

Pretty arrogant of you to compare that to someone who spends their entire life out in the direct sun cutting crops

Not sure how laying tile indoors is the same thing?

Wait  you want the whole ten years shown...... well  ok, well  house 6  years  ago includes 100metre  trench to main house, concreting round the pond  by hand,  mixed by hand before  had concrete  mixer,footings for electric  gate, footings for ONE of the FOUR  houses  I  built  on this  plot, building the house for my staff who  then left, all they did  was mix and tidy still me laying  block welding etc.............you  want more  ok  interiror  of the staff  house  after painting tiling etc...........still  more , never satisfied  eh, talking <deleted> as  ususal  like  many with no idea, one of my two wells  all done by me except for the hole  drilling, all  plumbing by me....... thats  just a fraction and then theres  the garden  6  rai covered in stone 6  inches  deep.yeah that was  real  fun 20 tons a day spread  by hand in a barrow took me months and months, but hey you  MUST be right one person could easy do that lot  in an afternoon right i mean its  only 20 ton a  day, day in day  out..notice the drainage ditches again did 4  panels a  day by hand, re  roofing one of the houses  with metal sheet..so before you  comment feel free  to come down and have a look at what "one small  project" is.....finally an overview of 10  years almost single handed...4  house  400  trees  and associated pipewrok for watering.........yeah easy  peasy 10  minutes  in an afternoon should do it.............pah you  know   nothing 

20160902_154608.jpg

20160619_145506.jpg

20170115_105955.jpg

IMAG1015.jpg

20200201_181827.jpg

20200528_101849_resized.jpg

20210623_162952_copy_1209x1612.jpg

20210811_075725.jpg

20220109_100650.jpg

drain.jpg

view.jpg

• Like 1

Then why is it that so many of the staff of Super Cheap Mini-marts close by have been there for many many years. Always the same people at the cash registers, and always the same guys stocking the more heavy goods.

Certainly not motivated by the salary....

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 5:58 PM, KIngsofisaan said:

<deleted> me  you really are unbelievable Ill remove my head.yeah thats me sanding the ceilings inside the first house.guess  i  just threw  some dust  on meself for the photo eh

20121202_112535.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

<deleted> me  you really are unbelievable Ill remove my head.yeah thats me sanding the ceilings inside the first house.guess  i  just threw  some dust  on meself for the photo eh

20121202_112535.jpg

Were you the one comparing this to working out in the hot sun in the fields 10 hours a day?

Looks like you need to work a little harder and get some of that weight off!

8 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Were you the one comparing this to working out in the hot sun in the fields 10 hours a day?

Looks like you need to work a little harder and get some of that weight off!

Youre  so  funny................lets  see  your  work then....nah didn  think so, armchair  warrior......sure i  put an umbrella  ove rthe whole  land whislt  i was doing the stone laying..christ your such a stupid <deleted>

Thanks for  reminding  me why I stopped  posting on Thai  Visa <deleted>.that should do it

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

On 7/28/2022 at 10:41 PM, nightfox said:

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. Give them a reason to stay by paying them a bit more then the average minimum wage and you will see your revolving door be less revolving. 

Did you read the op? ????

On 7/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, Jimjim1 said:

Did you ACTUALLY read his post especially about what he pays them and provides for them daily??

This to the poster,

Sir you can not buy loyalty as you have found,  so really in my estimation you are paying too much and the provisions you make for them will not make them show respect for you in the slightest, the Thai’s have no understanding of all that you do, and that is why the hi so’s and super rich only pay what is the going rate.

Your generosity to your staff will not be considered by them and you will not gain any empathy with them, the thoughts in the back of their heads is that you are a buffalo and that is why they walk away from the employment you provide.

My advice is to rewrite your contract of employment with clear and concise details in Thai pointing out that if they remove themselves from your employ without giving adequate reason and or notice they will not be paid any outstanding salary.

From the moment they sign the agreement they are responsible for their actions and if they do not show up or simply leave, you send a copy of that agreement with the particular paragraph hi lighted to their telephone so there is no way back for them.

You may still experience a high staff turn over but at least you may retain them for a notice period, however you must watch the closely should they be predisposed to cause damage or insult your customers during the notice period

In the interim pay close attention to your current staff and if you notice a slowing down of the efficiency of any one of them that is when you sit them down with a friendly Thai person NOT yourself or any one related to you who you can trust and let him/her find out what is going on in their psyche causing them to leave, you can then take steps to correct the issues.

Trusting that you read this, I hope it is helpful to you 

Bingo! Someone who understands. Most posters are talking tat or act like they just got off the boat. Thais, esp min wage, will leave at the drop of a hat in ANY field and with ANY kind of employer. Doesn’t matter how well they’re treated.

I esp agree with this post; you pay them over the odds and it typically fosters laziness and to act above their station and not respect the boss. Of course, if the work is boring and in an unpleasant setting will play a huge roll in turnover.

I sympathise with the op… sounds at the end of his tether. As much as I love them, I could not have a business here. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Did you read the op? ????

Sure did and sounds like he is not paying enough compensation or not providing enough incentives to keep his staff and sorry if you think 500 bht a month lunch allowance is generous. Suggest you learn more about Thai culture and understand how Thais think. 

Edited by nightfox
  • Haha 2

On 8/1/2022 at 5:45 AM, StevieAus said:

Some business seem to retain them. Where I live in Northern Chiang Mai Province I see the same people working for the same business and they have been there more than ten years, maybe they are looked after.

I have seen some hotel staff working many years at the same place in Pattaya also (In Town Holiday, Flipper Lodge or House (that never smiling lady).  Also in bangkok seen a few of the same at Nana hotel over the last 10 or more years.  Domocile restaurant in Pattaya had the Thai fellow that spoke German, now moved over to Brauhaus a few years ago.  Not saying it doesn't happen.  Needs the right circumstances, friends or relatives of the owner or his/her wife, etc.  Or sometimes they are compensated OK and prefer to stay.  For non skilled over the counter type of jobs, well... catch as catch can

• Haha 1

Just landed ? 5555....

Treat them as they treat you, minimum pay, no extra, do your job or leave.

After so many years I really understand why Thai companies treat them like $$hit, because anyway, whatever you do for them, they won't return !

On 7/31/2022 at 11:41 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its not true though .

Its compulsory for Thai kids to attends school and 85 % of Thais stay in school until they are 15 and 75% go onto further education 

another joke of the day ! hahaha