Are Dogs Bilingual

It is a well know fact that a Dog will only respond to proper Training with a single persons command voice.

However, with your Wife being Thai, and you presumably speaking English there should be little issue, as commands to a Dog should be in single precise words, or two at most in one language.

Ie " Sit , Walk, Wait, Good Dog, Etc ", and I am sure your Wife is well capable of speaking these precise commands.

This will give your Dog a quite good Training.

It is no good at all to speak long sentence such as " well done Fluffy, whos a good Boy then ? " in Two different languages as the dog hasnt a clue what it supposed to react to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

" Sit , Walk, Wait, Good Dog, Etc ", and I am sure your Wife is well capable of speaking these precise commands.

Seems a bit strange asking my Thai wife to speak to the Thai dog in Thailand in English.  As others have noted, dogs can understand 2 languages. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Seems a bit strange asking my Thai wife to speak to the Thai dog in Thailand in English.  As others have noted, dogs can understand 2 languages. 

Dogs do not understand 2 languages.

They understand the difference in tones from different people.

Any Dog with a single owner giving commands will be far better trained than a Dog that in one instance is restrained by commands from a Male , and then allowed to let go of those restraints by a softer Female voice.

That is Fact.

The best trained Dogs in the World only have a single " master "

Bomb sniffing Dogs, Drug Dogs, Police Dogs, Military Dogs and Gun Dogs Etc, all only have a single handler, who is usually Male, because the voice can be made more authoritive.

When I read the OP the first thing that I recalled was a war movie I watched some fifty years ago. It was in German but with English sub-titles. In the opening scene a sentry with an dog on a leash walks towards a shadowy area and the dog barks. Up came the subtitle 'Woof woof'....????

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
Correct typo
  • Haha 2

They say pets take after their owners. So to help my dog out with taking on some of my schizophrenic type qualities, I speak in both Thai and English as well as change its name weekly. Its seemed to have the opposite effect because its gone from schizo to mellow. ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Reminds me of a joke - 

After a talking sheepdog gets all the sheep in the pen, he reports back to the farmer: “All 40 accounted for.” “But I only have 36 sheep,” says the farmer. “I know,” says the Sheepdog. “But I rounded them up.”

Here we go with dog jokes; 2 beagles escape from the lab where they were being used for lung cancer experiments,

they had been on the run for hours, when one says "I must go back"

''why?'' "I need a cigarette" 

• Like 1

My German Shepherd cross doesn't understand a word of German, but does sit when told in English or Thai.

He is friendly with a neighbor's dog, who visits often, a Thai Ridgeback. He's friendly to me, but has no interest in any commands I give him in English.  

• Like 1

I speak English and don’t live permanently in Thailand yet, my fiancé speaks Thai. Our two dogs follow both our commands just fine. Though, I think they may be bitching me out in Thai when I get to our home after an absence. Drives them crazy when I Skype them and they hear my voice but can’t find me.

• Like 2

Our Doberman understands English and Thai commands, and was trained like this from a puppy. Dobermans are very smart so I guess if you have basic plain dog it may not understand if you tell it "sit" or "nang" "come" or "maa" 

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Similar to children, they will comprehend both lingos. 

Yes dogs do not understand but comprehend,they associate a sound

with an action.

They also respond to tone instead of actual words.

They are a creature of habit and will act accordingly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snowgard said:

<deleted> is AMERICAN? Ghetto English? I thought in the US they speak english!!! ????

Depends what flavour of English you like ... 

... Bob's your Uncle

15 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

No one has mentioned that they also speak DOG, that makes them tri-lingual.  How do you think that they communicate with each other?

Sniffing each other’s butts.  Nose, eyes, ears. 

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Just wondering about training my dog. 

My wife is Thai and therefore speaks Thai to our dog.  I speak Thai but feel more comfortable speaking English to my dogs. 

Will this be negative to our dogs if they are hearing two different languages?

Does the dog reply in English or Thai?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Does the dog reply in English or Thai?

Luckily, I understand Dog, most times.

Sniffy is also a Jedi Master  ...  and controls my mind at times.  "these are not the droids your looking for"

"You will give me part of your burger"  ...  "I will take you for walk now, get my leash"

Only suppose to work on weak minds, but the force is strong with her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Dogs do not understand 2 languages.

They understand the difference in tones from different people.

Any Dog with a single owner giving commands will be far better trained than a Dog that in one instance is restrained by commands from a Male , and then allowed to let go of those restraints by a softer Female voice.

That is Fact.

The best trained Dogs in the World only have a single " master "

Bomb sniffing Dogs, Drug Dogs, Police Dogs, Military Dogs and Gun Dogs Etc, all only have a single handler, who is usually Male, because the voice can be made more authoritive.

In my experience Thai women have no problem sounding very authoritive when they want to

On 7/29/2022 at 10:55 AM, CharlieH said:

In our house, we have 4 dogs, its not so much what is being said, its whose saying it. They will often ignore the wife if I am around, but will do exactly as she says if I am not. I use both Thai and English, she uses only Thai (mostly) so they have learned what noise comes from who and whats asked of them. If that makes sense. ????

You are spot on in what you have said in both posts.

I have four Jack Russell Terriers sometimes they are spoken to in Thailand and other times English 

I agree it’s the tone you use.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:21 PM, Gillyflower said:

No one has mentioned that they also speak DOG, that makes them tri-lingual.  How do you think that they communicate with each other?

"How do you think that they communicate with each other?"

Nostrils up the ars_ehole.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 7/29/2022 at 6:57 PM, misterphil said:

Our Doberman understands English and Thai commands, and was trained like this from a puppy. Dobermans are very smart so I guess if you have basic plain dog it may not understand if you tell it "sit" or "nang" "come" or "maa" 

It's  Baang Keow