Are Dogs Bilingual

an after thought:

Dogs are not very lingual at all. One of mine has found a way to grunt a little to let me know what she wants... which only is a couple of things... and her actions are part of her requests/demands...

As to comprehension, there are only a few communications that I might make... mostly "come" and I think no matter what I say or in what language, she will take it to mean "come" - I am not really into circus commands, sit - rollover - I think "come" is probably 95% of my meaningful conversation and they know what I am expecting... it might be accompanied by a hand wave or a rare time some urgency in my voice. 

On 7/29/2022 at 11:16 AM, Neeranam said:

Reminds me of a joke - 

After a talking sheepdog gets all the sheep in the pen, he reports back to the farmer: “All 40 accounted for.” “But I only have 36 sheep,” says the farmer. “I know,” says the Sheepdog. “But I rounded them up.”

I've got one as well.

Fred is the proud owner of the only talking dog in the world 'Rex'.

One day Fred sticks $10 in Rex's collar and tells him to go to the local shop to pick up the papers and some groceries. Rex replies 'will do'.

2 hours go by and the dog is nowhere to be seen. Fred goes searching for him and is about to give up when he passes an alley and sure enough, there's Rex in there hunping away at the local 'bitch'.

Fred runs up to Rex shouting, 'Rex, what the hell! You've never done this before'.

To which Rex replies 'I've never had the money before.' 

• Haha 1

Yes, dogs can learn commands in both Thai and English.  My dog understands commands in both but better in Thai.

My oldest luk krung son has a dog but only speaks English to it as does his farang GF.  Can tell that dog to "sit" in Thai all you want.  It still stands there.  Tell it to "sit" in English and it sits right away.