Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nonetheless, and as you have

pointed out she was part of a govt pushing policies that have failed. 

She was not the Chancellor,  she was very good in the jobs she had, which is what this thread is about, NOT the Tory Party as a whole you keep drifting off into....

7 minutes ago, transam said:

She was not the Chancellor,  she was very good in the jobs she had, which is what this thread is about, NOT the Tory Party as a whole you keep drifting off into....

Yes, she wasn't chancellor and yet her only solution to problems is tax cut blah blah blah...it seems there are very good reasons she wasn't chancellor in the failed govt she is a long serving minister of...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes, she wasn't chancellor and yet her only solution to problems is tax cut blah blah blah...it seems there are very good reasons she wasn't chancellor in the failed govt she is a long serving minister of...

You again are moving off topic again with your ant-Blue stuff, but tell me, what Prime Ministers also served as Chancellor, any Party, just to get a bigger picture....?

5 minutes ago, transam said:

You again are moving off topic again with your ant-Blue stuff, but tell me, what Prime Ministers also served as Chancellor, any Party, just to get a bigger picture....?

Now that is off topic, whereas pointing out truss' tax cut blah blah blah plans and how they contrast with those of a failed govt she was a member of isn't...and let's not forget, it was you who introduced the subject of those failed polices.

But, hey, as you are so fond of saying, go ahead report me if you think I'm off topic...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

And I guess as they have Russian donors ( vital for the next election campaign finances) then it won't be long before Liz Truss will propose to remove sanctions against the Russians either.

Still taking the money despite being 'friends' of Ukraine...

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/conservative-party-russia-donors-ukraine-invasion/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Now that is off-topic, whereas pointing out Truss' tax cut blah blah blah plans and how they contrast with those of a failed govt she was a member of isn't...and let's not forget, it was you who introduced the subject of those failed polices.

But, hey, as you are so fond of saying, go ahead report me if you think I'm off-topic...

Liz Truss plans are just that, to sort with her Chancellor when the time comes, the rest is your as usual guesswork.

You are right, she is still a member of the Blue Party, so tell me what in the past was she involved with regarding The Chancellory..

I introduced the subject of failed Tory policies, where..?   .????

Your last para is ignored...............????...........????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

And I guess as they have Russian donors ( vital for the next election campaign finances) then it won't be long before Liz Truss will propose to remove sanctions against the Russians either.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/23/oligarchs-funding-tories

More guesswork from guess what, you and The Guardian................????

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Tax cuts for the poorest who don't pay tax anyway, sounds about right for her. But no, she won't leave them out - she wants to abolish their right to strike, which I am sure will go down like a cup of cold puke to all but CON party donors...

Well it seems Liz Truss is still on a roll, link not from The Guardian...????

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/uks-liz-truss-maintains-big-lead-in-leadership-contest/articleshow/93632507.cms

2 hours ago, transam said:

Liz Truss plans are just that, to sort with her Chancellor when the time comes, the rest is your as usual guesswork.

You are right, she is still a member of the Blue Party, so tell me what in the past was she involved with regarding The Chancellory..

I introduced the subject of failed Tory policies, where..?   .????

Your last para is ignored...............????...........????

truss has absolutely no grasp on how tax cuts will work or be funded which is why she continuously resorts to ''that's the chancellors job'' when questioned.

She is a hopeless public speaker with no grasp of the minutiae of her policies, hence the constant U-turns and ''clarifications'' ..

The opposition will have a field day with such an inept speaker.

As to introducing the idea of a failed govt...just go through your previous posts.

#votetruss- promises without comprehension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Truss has absolutely no grasp on how tax cuts will work or be funded which is why she continuously resorts to ''that's the chancellors job'' when questioned.

She is a hopeless public speaker with no grasp of the minutiae of her policies, hence the constant U-turns and ''clarifications'' ..

The opposition will have a field day with such an inept speaker.

As to introducing the idea of a failed govt...just go through your previous posts.

#votetruss- promises without comprehension.

I don't need to go through my posts regarding a failed gov, except that the Labour Party are a failed Government.

You keep on about Liz can't do this or that, yet Blue MP's have put her in the final two of the PM race, these are people who know or have dealt or know her history, you are none of those, you are not even anything to do with the Blue Party, you just post stuff from The Guardian, a lefty rag, which is incredibly tiresome...????

1 minute ago, RayC said:

As usual, your reply has no relevance to the matter at hand.

I'm all too aware that we are lumbered with this government until (probably) late 2024.

Yet you post nothing about the Truss/Sunak race, which the thread is about, just an assumption that Labour will somehow become credible during the next 2 years...........????

5 hours ago, transam said:

But she was Chief Secretary to the Treasury (#2) between 2017-19. If she didn't think the Treasury was fit for purpose, why didn't she make her views known then and resign as a matter of principle? Or are we to assume that this is a recent ephihany on her part?

There is a nothing wrong in changing one's mind, but Truss seems to do so at the drop of a hat and on fundamental issues e.g. fiscal policy, Brexit, and this begs the question: What does she stand for? Unkind folk might call it unprincipled, opportunism behaviour. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RayC said:

But she was Chief Secretary to the Treasury (#2) between 2017-19. If she didn't think the Treasury was fit for purpose, why didn't she make her views known then and resign as a matter of principle? Or are we to assume that this is a recent ephihany on her part?

There is a nothing wrong in changing one's mind, but Truss seems to do so at the drop of a hat and on fundamental issues e.g. fiscal policy, Brexit, and this begs the question: What does she stand for? Unkind folk might call it unprincipled, opportunism behaviour. 

We will soon find out, won't we...........????

I dismiss most of the media stuff, they all have to earn a few quid to keep things going round in circles, otherwise, no job.......

So it seems you want fishi Rishi for the job, as you and others keep trashing Liz..

Can you tell me why, after all, the thread is about two Tory contenders......?  ????

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

As usual, you are incorrect on every count.

I stated that imo there is little difference between Sunak and Truss, other than timing.

I have made no statement about Labour's policies, so how you can know that I assume that " ... Labour will somehow become credible during the next two years .." requires a telepathic act on your part.

You don't consider a discussion about the absence of a 'one nation' Tory from the race to become leader of the party relevant to the conversation?

Why don't you try and give a moment's thought to matters before hitting the 'Submit' button?

Well, where is your Sunak trashing then....?

You, posted until 2024....

One nation Tory, what's that all about, this thread is about Truss and Sunak, not wandering off onto other stuff.

I post when and how I want, I don't need you or any other lefty telling me otherwise, sunbeam............????.............????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Well, where is your Sunak trashing then....?

I've no idea what you are going on about?

You, posted until 2024....

It's the likely date of the next election!

One nation Tory, what's that all about, this thread is about Truss and Sunak, not wandering off onto other stuff.

The thread is about the leadership of the Conservative party, so a discussion about the absence of a 'one nation Tory' candidate is directly relevant.

As a right-winger, I thought that you would be well aware of the 'enemy within'?

I post when and how I want, I don't need you or any other lefty telling me otherwise, sunbeam............????.............????

You are, of course, free to post what you want. I was just offering you some friendly advice, sunshine☀️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RayC said:

We shouldn't have to wait. It ought to be clear now.

So you dismiss reportage? How did you know what is going on then? You cannot possibly observe everything for yourself.

There is a difference between reportage and opinion. Of course, journalists have bias, but unless the essence of their reports is factually correct, it will not stand up to scrutiny.

As I said before, Hobson's choice but if pushed I would prefer Sunak as imo he has more substance and is (marginally) less opportunist.

I said I dismiss most media stuff, I didn't say I don't read it or watch it, there is a difference, though The Guardian and The Independent do provide a good laugh with their near ant-everything, lefty stance....????

Sunak in my opinion is an opportunist, he has an agenda to get the PM job, doesn't need money, and looks after his own, the better off, as in his leaked video, was it Tunbridge, can't remember.

Whereas, Liz comes across as someone who will sit down and think things through, not jet off to a spread in the USA for weekends.

But, it is my opinion, which in the bigger picture of things is totally useless and irrelevant.....:stoner:

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

I've no idea what you are going on about?

It's the likely date of the next election!

The thread is about the leadership of the Conservative party, so a discussion about the absence of a 'one nation Tory' candidate is directly relevant.

As a right-winger, I thought that you would be well aware of the 'enemy within'?

You are, of course, free to post what you want. I was just offering you some friendly advice, sunshine☀️

I am not a right-winger, and I don't need advice.............????

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No I have formed my opinion via factual reports on Truss, her poor public speaking comes from watching the hustings live [have you done that]v and other reports which make clear that she has no grasp on the details of policies she claims will solve the current crisis, policies which economists have made clear wont work. 

The fact she is going to probably win the leadership race is great news for the opposition.

She is going to be a gift to them.

Great to hear, we will prevail......????

Liz4.jpg.55c9d0ab3eb82a025bab3d4456b8bd83.jpg