Do I need to reside in Thailand for a certain amount of time each year to renew the O-A indefinately?

Or, can I get a re-entry permit and live in another country, and just return a few months each year to renew the O-A?

(I want to make Thailand a long term base, but live in other countries most of the time that have shorter 90 day visas).

Edited by JimTripper

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Do I need to reside in Thailand for a certain amount of time each year to renew the O-A indefinately?

By renew, assume you mean annual extensions.

Some folk do not obtain extensions to a non O-A.

Rather they obtain a new non O-A in their own country every 2 years.

The main reason for this is they do not wish to keel money in a Thai bank.

If you are after annual extensions that would be best done having a non O retirement as insurance is not a requirement 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

By renew, assume you mean annual extensions.

Some folk do not obtain extensions to a non O-A.

Rather they obtain a new non O-A in their own country every 2 years.

The main reason for this is they do not wish to keel money in a Thai bank.

If you are after annual extensions that would be best done having a non O retirement as insurance is not a requirement 

Jack, I thought I needed to show the money in Thailand after the 1st year on an O-A???

Do I get two full years with no money in Thailand?

Edited by JimTripper

22 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Do I get two full years with no money in Thailand

The non O-A is a multi entry visa valid for 12 months.

Each entry in that period you are stamped in for 12 months.

If exit and reenter just prior to expiry you are given 12 month permission of stay.

So yes effectively 2 years from one non O-A 

Be aware that in the "second year" you would need to buy a reentry permit if wanted to exit and reenter Thailand.

Without the insurance requirement this is a ripper visa especially for those that return to home country every couple of years and can obtain new non O-A.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The non O-A is a multi entry visa valid for 12 months.

Each entry in that period you are stamped in for 12 months.

If exit and reenter just prior to expiry you are given 12 month permission of stay.

So yes effectively 2 years from one non O-A 

Be aware that in the "second year" you would need to buy a reentry permit if wanted to exit and reenter Thailand.

Without the insurance requirement this is a ripper visa especially for those that return to home country every couple of years and can obtain new non O-A.

I'm going to do that and just return every two years.

I will lose a lot of money not having the funds invested, and it would pay for the return trip many times over.

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I'm going to do that and just return every two years.

I will lose a lot of money not having the funds invested, and it would pay for the return trip many times over.

If it wasn't for the insurance I would also do that as I return to visit Oz every year or so.

I keep the 800k baht in Thai bank and am aware of the opportunity cost of doing that.

If you decide to go down the non O-A route just be aware of the changes to insurance requirement coming Sept 1.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

If you decide to go down the non O-A route just be aware of the changes to insurance requirement coming Sept 1.

For a Non-OA visa application done at a embassy or official consulate the new insurance requirements went into effect on October 1st of 2021.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For a Non-OA visa application done at a embassy or official consulate the new insurance requirements went into effect on October 1st of 2021.

Could you please explain what those latest Insurance requirements are.  I'm thinking of applying Non OA marriage Visa at HCMC , any problems from there ?

6 minutes ago, hhtown said:

Could you please explain what those latest Insurance requirements are.  I'm thinking of applying Non OA marriage Visa at HCMC , any problems from there ?

A non O-A can only be obtained in country where you have permanent resident status or your home country.

You can obtain a non O marriage or a ME non O marriage at Saigon consulate.

16 minutes ago, hhtown said:

You will be applying for non-o visa based upon marriage. No insurance is required for it.

A Non-OA visa is only for retirement and it can only be issued in you home country or country of legal residence.

I hope the OP does not mind if I ask a related question here as I am thinking about applying for the same visa in my home country in Europe. Suppose I apply for a Non-OA visa starting from Nov 1, 2022.

1. Do I need to have insurance for one-year period from Nov 1, 2022 to Oct 31, 2023 when I apply for e-visa?  I can buy insurance from a company in EU for the whole year and they guarantee coverage according to the limits required in e-visa site.

2. Suppose I leave Thailand at the end of March 2023 and re-enter again in Sep 1, 2023. Do I need to show at immigration at the airport that I have insurance for one year starting from Sep 1, 2023?

Thanks.

Edited by marc69
Typo