The Alex Jones Trial Is As Messy As You’d Expect

Scott

Alex Jones, Roger Stone, and why the Jan. 6 committee getting their 'intimate messages' is more than just a joke on Twitter

"But given both Jones and Stone's outsize roles in the attack on the Capitol on January 6, 2021, getting the candid exchanges between the two election-fraud-conspiracy theorists is a huge development as the House Select Committee continues its work.

The text messages could provide coveted evidence about Jones and Stone's roles in the attack on the Capitol."

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-alex-jones-intimate-text-messages-to-roger-stone-matter-2022-8?r=US&IR=T

• Like 1

I am not American and not right wing. Maybe someone from over there can help me to understand this situation.

Who is watching or hearing these shows (regularly)?

Do many right wing Americans really think that school shooting never happened? Or do they know it happened but somehow they think it's funny to deny reality?

What is going on over there?

From my point of view a nutter like Jones wouldn't be a problem if nobody would listen to him. And even if someone is rightwing I don't think it is necessary to be at the same time a fan on conspiracy theories. What am I missing? How is it possible that that guy is successful? 

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Keep in mind that based on virtually no evidence, the majority of Republicans believe that the 2020 elections were stolen. And a big majority of Republicans in the House of Representatives refused to endorse the election results. And before that there was the birther movement which denied that Barack Obama was born in the USA and was ineligible to be President. That was also subscribed to by a majority of Republicans. 

Thanks, that is obviously a similar situation.

Do they really believe that? I mean, maybe they do. Or is that one of those things which they say to be part of their club, but they don't really believe it? I don't know.

From the political left part of view, it is obvious that we can call all this people stupid idiots. And maybe they are all stupid idiots. But then it's still hard to believe that so many people can be so stupid.

So, in a way I hope there is another explanation which I just don't see or never heard because I have no political right American friends. 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, that is obviously a similar situation.

Do they really believe that? I mean, maybe they do. Or is that one of those things which they say to be part of their club, but they don't really believe it? I don't know.

From the political left part of view, it is obvious that we can call all this people stupid idiots. And maybe they are all stupid idiots. But then it's still hard to believe that so many people can be so stupid.

So, in a way I hope there is another explanation which I just don't see or never heard because I have no political right American friends. 

You're trying to fathom how people fall for conspiracy theories, as someone who doesn't then its hard but the fact is a lot of people do. Just look at the impact of QAnon

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not American and not right wing. Maybe someone from over there can help me to understand this situation.

Who is watching or hearing these shows (regularly)?

Do many right wing Americans really think that school shooting never happened? Or do they know it happened but somehow they think it's funny to deny reality?

What is going on over there?

From my point of view a nutter like Jones wouldn't be a problem if nobody would listen to him. And even if someone is rightwing I don't think it is necessary to be at the same time a fan on conspiracy theories. What am I missing? How is it possible that that guy is successful? 

Unfortunately there's enough whack jobs there that catering to them as a niche market is quite profitable. Much more so since Obama won the presidency. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Unfortunately there's enough whack jobs there that catering to them as a niche market is quite profitable. Much more so since Obama won the presidency. 

Thats probably because the internet has grown alot since 2009 and many more people have access to the internet through smart phones , thats the reason, rather than Obama being elected 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thats probably because the internet has grown alot since 2009 and many more people have access to the internet through smart phones , thats the reason, rather than Obama being elected 

If that was the case the crazy would be distributed evenly across all countries but it isn't, at least not to the same degree.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If that was the case the crazy would be distributed evenly across all countries but it isn't, at least not to the same degree.

Its the World Wide Web, and people from various Countries use it .

Not everything is because of a USA President 

17 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

2022 just keeps getting better, it really is a fine year for Justice.

The guy has got off with fines which he can easily afford. IMO he should additionally receive a significant jail sentence for all the emotional suffering he knowingly caused.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Yes, sad but true that there can be so many stupid Americans.  But they're often enabled, encouraged by people like Jones.  Used to be that the source of news was limited, and broadcasting the same set of facts.  But now, the right wing has their own set of news and facts.  A person who stays in this right wing echo chamber will only hear what they want to hear.  They ignore everything else that doesn't support their narrative.  Does that make them stupid?  I'd say yes because it's intentional.

Yes. And to be fair we should also mention the radical left with their own set of facts. And IMHO the not so radical left fails to separate themselves from the radicals on their site. I.e., all that gender ideology and 100 different pronounce, etc. is clearly and idea of the radical left. And by now it seems everybody who does not embrace this ideology is called Nazi or bigot or right wing. And as far as I see that happens because the not so radical left let it happen.

Recently I saw a couple of videos on YouTube from people who are conservatives. And I have to admit I agree with most of what they say about the left.

It seems there are more people out there who want to divide everybody and not try to find common ground.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:07 PM, Sparktrader said:

I dont believe saying something is a hoax incites violence. Adults are responsible for their own actions.

So you were clearly wrong....to the tune of about $50 mil.  Just curious....are you ever right about anything?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes. And to be fair we should also mention the radical left with their own set of facts. And IMHO the not so radical left fails to separate themselves from the radicals on their site. I.e., all that gender ideology and 100 different pronounce, etc. is clearly and idea of the radical left. And by now it seems everybody who does not embrace this ideology is called Nazi or bigot or right wing. And as far as I see that happens because the not so radical left let it happen.

Recently I saw a couple of videos on YouTube from people who are conservatives. And I have to admit I agree with most of what they say about the left.

It seems there are more people out there who want to divide everybody and not try to find common ground.

But whatever the truth of your characterization, and I think it's way overblown, that's not the same thing as  conspiracy theories which are being used to undermine democracy.

• Like 1

Who is Alex Jones?  Seriously, I know almost nothing about him because as soon as I read his initial comments, I knew he was a nut job and therefore completely blanked him from my life.  Nutters like him are 'infamous' or 'famous' simply because others listen to him, or are enraged by his PoV.  Ignore the prat and he wouldn't be rolling in $$$ now and no-one would be stressed out by his inane comments.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

False equivalence.  Look, I'm fairly left wing and I haven't seen this "gender ideology" push.  The only people bringing this up are right wingers trying to inflame their flock....which is where you seem to have obtain your information.  If you keep watching right wing media, you too can become a hater.

I understand your point.

Personally, I encountered little about the gender ideology. But I live in Thailand and most of my friends like to go to girly bars. So, it's not exactly likely that we talk about those things.

Sometimes I watch videos from Peter Boghossian and others. They are not right wing. But he and other dare to question the attitudes of the radical left. And I think it's sad to see how afraid some people on the center left are to speak out against people on the far left.

Have a look at his videos if you like. Most of the time he doesn't even give his opinion, he only asks questions.

Peter Boghossian - YouTube

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

But whatever the truth of your characterization, and I think it's way overblown, that's not the same thing as  conspiracy theories which are being used to undermine democracy.

My point was and is that it is much easier for all of us to see the extreme people on the other side.

I.e. I consider myself to be somewhere center left. I see news about those crazy Trump supporters, election result deniers, etc. It's easy for me to say: they are all crazy. Because I have little to no personal contact with any of them. But I am pretty sure there must also be some normal people out there who are conservative but not crazy rightwing.

And of course the people on the right see the extremes from the left. And maybe they think: All the left must be like that. They are all crazy. Even if what they see is probably only the opinion of the extreme left.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My point was and is that it is much easier for all of us to see the extreme people on the other side.

I.e. I consider myself to be somewhere center left. I see news about those crazy Trump supporters, election result deniers, etc. It's easy for me to say: they are all crazy. Because I have little to no personal contact with any of them. But I am pretty sure there must also be some normal people out there who are conservative but not crazy rightwing.

And of course the people on the right see the extremes from the left. And maybe they think: All the left must be like that. They are all crazy. Even if what they see is probably only the opinion of the extreme left.

I actually know some Trump supporters. Very kind and lovely people. Not very interested or knowledgeable about political issues They are devout Protestants so I suspect that their support comes in large part from the opinions of their fellow church goers and pastor. They believe what they are told. I don't get into it with them because what's the point? I'm not going to win going up against God The Father.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I actually know some Trump supporters. Very kind and lovely people. Not very interested or knowledgeable about political issues They are devout Protestants so I suspect that their support comes in large part from the opinions of their fellow church goers and pastor. They believe what they are told. I don't get into it with them because what's the point? I'm not going to win going against God The Father.

I would love to hear their reason why they support a guy who is a known monger, divorced a couple of times and who likes to grab p$#$#.

With my limited understanding of those religious people this is not what they say they one should do.

16161880-7256805-image-m-23_156337069212

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

That doesn't explain why  it's basically a right-wing phenomenon.

Could it be Evangelicals are a significant component of the right of centre movement in the US. As they believe in Christian mysticism, not a big leap to weirdo conspiracy theories?