The Alex Jones Trial Is As Messy As You’d Expect

Scott

3 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Love this guy and would like to have a beer with him any time.  He is nuts and extremely entertaining.  Why are most of you so uptight? People like Alex make this crazy world entertaining.  

54 million dollars says that's not true.

On 8/6/2022 at 12:39 PM, ozimoron said:

Unfortunately there's enough whack jobs there that catering to them as a niche market is quite profitable. Much more so since Obama won the presidency. 

I'd not thought of it before, but it was during Obama's Presidency that "alternative facts" (lies) became popular.  No amount of evidence that the birtherism nonsense was based on lies would keep people from believing in their fact-free version of reality. 

Once it became clear that there are tens of millions of people who are that gullible, and that money can be made from them, low-lifes like Alex Jones became inevitable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

JFK being killed by the CIA

9/11 being an inside job

Flat Earthers 

Chemtrails . 

Jews controlling the World 

The first two are promoted by nut jobs whose only firm political belief seems to be in an evil deep state, which currently is a primarily right-wing thing (Qanon and BS like that).  The second two are promoted by the exceptionally clueless.

The last one, "Jews controlling the world", is definitely promoted by those so far to the right as to be in Nazi territory.

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But it now seems that its gotton to the stage where if you question anything , you are labelled as being a right wing conspiracy theorist nutter .

Any legitimate concerns or questions and they are thrown into the conspiracy theorist bin , along with the Chemtrails and people being aliens/lizards .

Questioning how an airplane managed to fly into the Pentagon and you are a right wing nutter  

Wait, there are people who don't know how an airplane managed to fly into the Pentagon?

Do these people realize that airplanes aren't like trains?  Trains are limited to where there are tracks, airplanes can fly pretty much anywhere there is air.

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although I wouldn't be asking why the planes crashed into the Pentagon, I would be asking how they managed to do the difficult manoeuvres to get into the position to hit the pentagon at such a low level and without the plane stalling and also why wasn't the CCTV footage ever released ?

Difficult low level maneuvers?  Like take-off and landing?  Pilots and planes have got pretty good at those maneuvers.

9 hours ago, atpeace said:

Love this guy and would like to have a beer with him any time.  He is nuts and extremely entertaining.  Why are most of you so uptight? People like Alex make this crazy world entertaining.  

If people like Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson would start their programs with a disclaimer explaining that the programs are purely for entertainment and should not be taken as factual reporting, I would agree that they are harmless entertainment.  Unfortunately they don't, and there are too many fools who believe the BS.  That's dangerous.

Regarding having a beer with him, no way.  Loud idiots who insist on sharing their idiotic opinions are annoying.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Tell that to the parents of those murdered children who were inundated with death threats from Jones' followers.

He is simply a fool that acted like a fool. It seems to me he is, like many on this forum, only able to conceive his believes and is lacking in self awareness. He is the new tool for virtuous signaling.  

I do think the judicial outcome was justified and a warning to others profiting from "fake news".  Wish Google,Twitter and online forums would backoff policing and let the legal system deal with the  Alex Jones of the world.  Drawing moral lines not to be crossed is fraught with complexity and I get the difficulty online gatekeepers are facing.  Wish impartial algorythms could do the gatekeeping and soon enough this might be possible.

6 minutes ago, atpeace said:

He is simply a fool that acted like a fool. It seems to me he is, like many on this forum, only able to conceive his believes and is lacking in self awareness. He is the new tool for virtuous signaling.  

I do think the judicial outcome was justified and a warning to others profiting from "fake news".  Wish Google,Twitter and online forums would backoff policing and let the legal system deal with the  Alex Jones of the world.  Drawing moral lines not to be crossed is fraught with complexity and I get the difficulty online gatekeepers are facing.  Wish impartial algorythms could do the gatekeeping and soon enough this might be possible.

Letting the legal system deal with scum that promote lies and conspiracy theories won't work so long as the scum remains anonymous.  How can the legal system deal with Qanon?

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, atpeace said:

And  your reply utterly fails to address the issues of the harm he inflicted and the potential for a lot worse.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Letting the legal system deal with scum that promote lies and conspiracy theories won't work so long as the scum remains anonymous.  How can the legal system deal with Qanon?

I have no idea but IMO individuals are capable of making their own decisions in the vast majority of situations.  There will always be  crazies in this world.. The real danger is the all-knowing self righteous peiople in the world.  For example, you mentioned Tucker ( I also dislike ) should be forced disclaimers placed on his content.  Really?  Maybe, I'm wrong but I just see him as fool and others can make up their own minds.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And  your reply utterly fails to address the issues of the harm he inflicted and the potential for a lot worse.

No, as I stated very clearly, the judicial system did address it. Reread the post.  You seem to be only seeing what you want to see.  I'm not a hater nor lost in anger.  Relax and try to see my view point before responding.  I may be "utterly" wrong as i am quite often.

Just now, atpeace said:

No, as I stated very clearly, the judicial system did address it. Reread the post.  You seem to be only seeing what you want to see.  I'm not a hater nor lost in anger.  Relax and try to see my view point before responding.  I may be "utterly" wrong as i am quite often.

The judicial system did not address the threat that Jones created for these people. Also, you called Jones a fool. So you know for a fact that he actually believes what he says and was not purposely lying for his own gain? Calling someone  a fool rather than, say, a sociopath, is just a way to mitigate their offenses.

Just now, placeholder said:

The judicial system did not address the threat that Jones created for these people. Also, you called Jones a fool. So you know for a fact that he actually believes what he says and was not purposely lying for his own gain? Calling someone  a fool rather than, say, a sociopath, is just a way to mitigate their offenses.

Yes the system addressed the threat. Your post is strange  and lacks logic.  Did you watch the trial?  How many times was the threat Jones created addressed?  More than a hundred and how you missed this is odd.  As for the rest of your post, it strikes me as odd how you are 100% knowlegeable about others intentions but lack awareness of your own. 

• Thanks 1

Yes the system addressed the threat. Your post is strange  and lacks logic.  Did you watch the trial?  How many times was the threat Jones created addressed?  More than a hundred and how you missed this is odd.  As for the rest of your post, it strikes me as odd how you are 100% knowlegeable about others intentions but lack awareness of your own. 

You're missing the obvious, without Jones' nonsense there wouldn't have been threats to the families.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I have no idea but IMO individuals are capable of making their own decisions in the vast majority of situations.  There will always be  crazies in this world.. The real danger is the all-knowing self righteous peiople in the world.  For example, you mentioned Tucker ( I also dislike ) should be forced disclaimers placed on his content.  Really?  Maybe, I'm wrong but I just see him as fool and others can make up their own minds.

Too many people lack the time or inclination to fact check the "information" they receive, and the judicial system acts far to slowly.  The Alex Jones verdict came years after he started his damaging lies, and Qanon, which inspired many of the January 6 rioters, is still operating free of constraints.

Disclaimers wouldn't be a complete solution, but might limit the damage done by people like Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson.  Social media companies need to be held responsible for lies and propaganda put out by trolls and bots.  That might mean the end of easy money for social media, but I'm ok with that.

• Like 2

The echo chamber has begun and very little mature or intelligent posts above.  This is the same crowd that lost it when others disagreed about anything regarding vacination.  I would love to meet many of the posters offline.  I doubt they would be so aggressive and dismisive.  I think that many even would be polite and good listeners.  The internet is kind of like road rage - seemingly good people become hate filled and lust for vengeance.  I  like occationally coming to this forum to see, I assume young people, trying to fit in with a social group and then seeking targets to punish.  Strange way to get your kicks...

As for me. I'm not judge nor jury and try to emphasize with everyone reardless of beliefs or actions.  Hard sometimes but at least I know I don't need to hate to be satified.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

The echo chamber has begun and very little mature or intelligent posts above.  This is the same crowd that lost it when others disagreed about anything regarding vacination.  I would love to meet many of the posters offline.  I doubt they would be so aggressive and dismisive.  I think that many even would be polite and good listeners.  The internet is kind of like road rage - seemingly good people become hate filled and lust for vengeance.  I  like occationally coming to this forum to see, I assume young people, trying to fit in with a social group and then seeking targets to punish.  Strange way to get your kicks...

As for me. I'm not judge nor jury and try to emphasize with everyone reardless of beliefs or actions.  Hard sometimes but at least I know I don't need to hate to be satified.

Right. Characterizing the comments of others as not mature or not intelligent without actually engaging with points raised doesn't seem to me to be a particularly intelligent or mature approach. In fact, it seems quite petulant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

But, no, the system can't undo the harm that Jones created. That's like saying that if a surgeon cuts off the wrong leg and a court awards their patient a large sum for the loss, the judicial system has made it okay. Some things can't be undone. And calling a sinister figure like Jones a fool, a fool who has made tens of millions off of his lies and malice, is clearly a very foolish characterization.

And thanks for the mindreading. As for lack of self-awareness, you might want to start looking a little closer to home.

This is getting silly.  You just created a staw man's argument and because of your lack of selfawareness, you have no idea what your doing.  

I NEVER stated the system can undo the harm Jones created.  You are very odd and  your weird need to be right is unworldly.  You claimed the judicial system didn't "address" the harm and I claimed they did address it and moe than a 100 times.  

To your defense, possibly you think the words "address" and "undo" are synonyms.  If this is the case, look up the definitions.  

• Thanks 1

This is getting silly.  You just created a staw man's argument and because of your lack of selfawareness, you have no idea what your doing.  

I NEVER stated the system can undo the harm Jones created.  You are very odd and  your weird need to be right is unworldly.  You claimed the judicial system didn't "address" the harm and I claimed they did address it and moe than a 100 times.  

To your defense, possibly you think the words "address" and "undo" are synonyms.  If this is the case, look up the definitions.  

But you pretty much exempted Jones from creating harm in the first place:

image.png.2c2e75ce4b6cf8a4d12b5d6fa7b3f6a5.png

In other words the legal system decided that Jones was responsible for the damage caused to these people. And much of that damage was the threats and calumny that they had to endure from Jones' followers. But what the legal system can't do is undo the threat that Jones' lies have created.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But you pretty much exempted Jones from creating harm in the first place:

image.png.2c2e75ce4b6cf8a4d12b5d6fa7b3f6a5.png

In other words the legal system decided that Jones was responsible for the damage caused to these people. And much of that damage was the threats and calumny that they had to endure from Jones' followers. But what the legal system can't do is undo the threat that Jones' lies have created.

Yes, and that is what I said also.  You are continually stating the obvious.  How can a harm be undone?  This isn't "Back to The Future".  You keep virtual signaling by stating silly obvious facts.  To make it blatantly obvious, nothing in this world can be undone.  It can be diminished to varying extents.  Comprende?

You want to be right and are determined to change what I stated to show your intelligence.  Again, you stated "addressed" and not "undo" in your previous quote.  You are one odd dude.  I get it it and have stated it many times, the judicial system can't undo the harm. 

Feel as if I'm debating with an angry child.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Yes, and that is what I said also.  You are continually stating the obvious.  How can a harm be undone?  This isn't "Back to The Future".  You keep virtual signaling by stating silly obvious facts.  To make it blatantly obvious, nothing in this world can be undone.  It can be diminished to varying extents.  Comprende?

You want to be right and are determined to change what I stated to show your intelligence.  Again, you stated "addressed" and not "undo" in your previous quote.  You are one odd dude.  I get it it and have stated it many times, the judicial system can't undo the harm. 

Feel as if I'm debating with an angry child.  

Actually, the only person repeatedly making personal comments here is you. I question what you write. I make no surmises about your personality. Although I do think it is legitimate to note that someone who claims others lack self-awareness doesn't seem to recognize what it signifies that it is they they are making it personal. comments about others.