Monkeypox: Thais advised to avoid sexual contact with foreigners, hotels advised to clean properly

webfact

Amon Leelarasami - yet another star on Thailand's sky of gifted clowns. Honestly, who allows such absolute brainless statements to be made, printed and broadcasted. 

I - for one - have filed a patent for a headset without cable, antenna or batteries. It is absolutely sound proof and will be marketed under the brand name of "Bu11sh1t Protector". As a quality identification mark, there is a US, EU and a Thai model, the latter is the most expensive one as it is classified as "heavy duty" and sometimes must be borne 24 hours a day. 

Amon Leelarasami's comments are more than welcome, specially in the family resort of Pattaya, where people visit for the temples, butterfly farms and the cultural adherence of "no bikini". 

Next please, don't hurry though, as I have to get a refill of popcorn to enjoy the continuation of this endless soap .......... 

4 minutes ago, LudwigK said:

Is there some RACISM in TH ? ????

I think this is underlying xenophobia and simply clumsiness due to lack of thought rather than any underlying or inherent racism. 

It is also quoted that ‘hotel rooms are cleaned to international standard’ which implies that something foreign is in fact ‘better’.

Thus: As with many of the comments and  statements in Thailand, I don’t think racism is involved, but I do think there is an absence of thought to towards the ‘optics’ of such statements which allow underlying xenophobic colours to surface...  Public figures in Thailand are in dire need of media training instead of spouting off thoughtlessly... 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

This comes despite the fact that the disease can't be transmitted via sexual contact.

Though information available online says that monkeypox spreads through close skin-to-skin physical contact with infected individuals such as when having sex or contamination with such items as bedding, towels or clothes, said the NSW government health department in Australia. 

You cannot put it any simpler than that..........

10 hours ago, webfact said:

He also called for hotel operators to clean rooms in line with international standards to contain the spread. 

This makes me laugh.  It’s like saying … have your cleaning staff explain the origin of man. Way beyond their skillset/knowledge.  They reuse dirty water when cleaning floors because they were taught wet is clean.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

What is the difference between a gay man and a man who has sex with men?  Is it some new wokerism phrase?

No. A gay man is a gay man.

A man who has sex with men is a first time tourist to Thailand who in all innocence picks up a lady boy then next morning brags to his mates how his bird even takes it in the tradesmans entrance.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nobody said is was an STD but by far the majority of cases throughout the world in this new wave have been in gay men.

The  above  article says “ cant be transmitted through sexual intercourse “ .  Of course it can, and also by any close contact man , woman, child. 

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

These viruses are never going to stop, in the future there will be more pandemics as many in the medical profession as well as others will have seen these viruses and to a lesser extent country invasions making people rich. They will all want there fingers in the pies.

Capitalism and greed are all over this world, and it will keep continuing. 

Constant battle between viruses and life forms.

Started on day one of life on this little world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Denim said:

Oh yes....that advice will really fly in Pattaya.

Where do all these idiots come from ?  When AIDS first hit the scene here it was the same....avoid foreigners. Then it transpired that the first cases here were among the gay Thais returning here from America. 

It’s this simple don’t dip ya sausage into the mud pit that every other bloke has been gay that is ????

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm sure they meant with foreign tourists. 

How about a link to the original in Thai, maybe a mistranslation. 

Let's not attack the alleged culprit so soon.

Good points, well made ????

Why is nothing said about the massage industry? After all the disease stems from skin to skin contact.

Probably because it doesn't make a shocking headline.
The actual thing they wanna say is that foreigners are sexual perverts bringing monkey diseases to thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Constant battle between viruses and life forms.

Started on day one of life on this little world.

Well when I was a kid there was a lot of Polio , a friend and her mum had it. And in those days travel was dangerous , small,pox etc

45 minutes ago, freestyle1 said:

Why is nothing said about the massage industry? After all the disease stems from skin to skin contact.

Probably because it doesn't make a shocking headline.
The actual thing they wanna say is that foreigners are sexual perverts bringing monkey diseases to thailand.

Personally, I’d give massage a miss now. 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

The  above  article says “ cant be transmitted through sexual intercourse “ .  Of course it can, and also by any close contact man , woman, child. 

Yes of course it can agreed and its possible for it to spread to all genders and ages however:

Largest monkeypox study to date highlights new symptoms

Jul 22, 2022

In the study, authors share many patients are presenting to clinics and hospitals for pain management or difficulty swallowing. Single anal sores have been recorded in several cases. One in 10 people had only a single skin lesion in the genital area, and 15% had anal and/or rectal pain, a symptom not typically seen in other monkeypox outbreaks.

A total of 98% of the cases documented were in gay or bisexual men, and while monkeypox is not an STI, per se, the authors said 95% of transmissions documented occurred during sexual relations. Seventy-five percent of case patients are white, and 41% are HIV-positive.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/07/largest-monkeypox-study-date-highlights-new-symptoms

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

...as gay men and men who have sex with men 

[/quote]

Slightly off-topic, and please excuse my ignorance here.  What is the difference between a gay man and a man who has sex with men?  Is it some new wokerism phrase?

Simon, there are bisexuals you know !!! And threesomes , sorry don’t know the name ?