Brittney Griner trial: Russian court hands down verdict, sentence in WNBA star's case

Scott

Just now, Jingthing said:

She went there because she's a top athlete, her career span is limited, the WNBA pays diddly squat compared to the NBA, and the Russian teams pay well. Nothing saintly. Just practical economics. 

Not to put too fine a point on it but only an absolute idiot would not know that the Russians were keen to take hostages and that getting caught with cannabis was 100% certainly going to put her in the situation she now finds herself in. It's unfortunate that she got 9 years for this but that was always going to be predictable as well. The US State Department had warned against travel to Russia. She was motivated by greed at a time she should have pulled her head in. I have no doubt that many had counselled her to do just that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Not to put too fine a point on it but only an absolute idiot would not know that the Russians were keen to take hostages and that getting caught with cannabis was 100% certainly going to put her in the situation she now finds herself in. It's unfortunate that she got 9 years for this but that was always going to be predictable as well. The US State Department had warned against travel to Russia. She was motivated by greed at a time she should have pulled her head in. I have no doubt that many had counselled her to do just that.

I don’t know the details. Maybe she had a contract signed before the war. Obviously the ganja was a mistake that could even end up a fatal one. So she's in trouble now unless Putin goes for the Bout deal.

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don’t know the details. Maybe she had a contract signed before the war. Obviously the ganja was a mistake that could even end up a fatal one. So she's in trouble now unless Putin goes for the Bout deal.

She had played during the wnba off season for several years before her arrest. 

1 hour ago, howlee101 said:

And you don't, by adamantly stating it was "unintentional" although you further state "you believe her"?  To you it's an agenda, to me it's my opinion and thoughts.

Adamantly? Don’t think so. 

I believe her when she says it was unintentional. 

And that isn’t the agenda I referred to in my post to you. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Slickrick said:

Make the deal then go after Victor Bout as a terrorist.

I think Russia wants to string this out a bit.

Supposedly they want to add a convicted murderer held in Germany, Vadim Krasikov released. Krasikov was convicted in December of murdering a former Chechen fighter, Zelimkhan "Tornike" Khangoshvili, in Berlin's Kleiner Tiergarten in 2019 and sentenced to life in prison.

I don't think it's a good sign that this potential exchange is so public?

Ms. Griner has played for UMMC Ekaterinburg since 2016, so imagine she has entered Russia what, six times at a minimum, and probably a lot more.

Given the looming situation in Ukraine she probably should not have returned, but assume she has a contract and was honoring that.

Tangentially, I do get a chuckle out of the high mighty legal brigade, especially when I think of Russian athletes and doping.

Getting foreign athletes to come and play in Russia's "professional" leagues just got a lot harder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I think Russia wants to string this out a bit.

Supposedly they want to add a convicted murderer held in Germany, Vadim Krasikov released. Krasikov was convicted in December of murdering a former Chechen fighter, Zelimkhan "Tornike" Khangoshvili, in Berlin's Kleiner Tiergarten in 2019 and sentenced to life in prison.

I don't think it's a good sign that this potential exchange is so public?

Ms. Griner has played for UMMC Ekaterinburg since 2016, so imagine she has entered Russia what, six times at a minimum, and probably a lot more.

Given the looming situation in Ukraine she probably should not have returned, but assume she has a contract and was honoring that.

Tangentially, I do get a chuckle out of the high mighty legal brigade, especially when I think of Russian athletes and doping.

Getting foreign athletes to come and play in Russia's "professional" leagues just got a lot harder.

Yeah they can take their blood money rubles and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

• 3 months later...