Devastating fire at Sattahip nightclub claims 13 lives, 20+ injured - multiple explosions heard

webfact

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And many similarities also to a major residential tower block fire in the UK in 2017:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

But there appear to be some on here who give the impression of seriously believing that tragedies of this sort only happen in Thailand and nowhere else on this great planet of ours - least of all back in their home countries!

Your talking about a lone isolated affair, very serious and dealt with seriously in terms of recommendations and actions but nothing to do with the ongoing series of fires and deaths in nightclubs here where safety rules are still being ignored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

Dodgy wiring, inflammable insulation, no extinguishers....????

Health and safety inspections..............Wos dat................????

Forget the safety inspections …

Many of those venues operate “under the radar” long into the early hours, covered by paid “protection”.

That’s also one of the reasons for the thick, Cheap Charly, combustible sound protection.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, realfunster said:

relatively astonished at the inactivity of bystanders as disorientated people stumble quite far out of the exit door actually on fire with no assistance given....

I would assume, a lot of the bystanders were also under shock…

Add in to that:  First Aid is not necessarily a priority in TH.

Not comparable to most of Europe, where you have to attend a First Aid course to get a driving or boating license and have at least a small First Aid kit in every car.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another pub/bar fire. Poor souls, horrific incident, a couple of awful videos of people running out screaming and on fire on twitter. Mountain B

One can bet safety was, as usual, given short shrift. 

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It apparently was packed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Only place I ever see fire sprinklers is in my condo, new house, and at the hospitals.

I happened upon a huge fire in what is now the Inter-Continental hotel on Sukhumvit. An air-conditioning unit had exploded just the day before the building was to open for the first time and people - workers I guess - had to be lifted off the roof by helicopter and taken over to the nearby police hospital. There was a sprinkler system as required by law - but there was no law saying it had to be switched on. Guess if it was switched on.

So you might like to check at your condo.....

58 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Agreed.

Who knows how any of us would react in that situation, with fire and explosions, but I am relatively astonished at the inactivity of bystanders as disorientated people stumble quite far out of the exit door actually on fire with no assistance given.....

Just a comment, not at you.

I am always surprised at the number of people who don't understand that pouring cold water on burns is one of the best things you can do. As much as possible for ad long as you can until real help arrives.

Bottles drinking water, any supply at all.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Saw the video earlier.

Kind of surreal to see people calmly running around on fire.

No stop drop and roll and everyone just standing around dumbfounded.

I imagine a lot of people were in shock.

If those 20+ ppl helped to douse the ppl on fire would've helped them a lot I think.

Very similar to the tiger disco one at Bangla except there were some people able to jump from a first floor exit in that one. 

Crappy electrics, fire exits and highly flammable insulation need to really be looked into.

• Like 1

A new building is able to get a license to open, while lacking a (working?) sprinkler system and with only one exit available, while also using highly flammable material in the décor.

So, the building inspector might be a good place to start the investigation. He was paid to do a job. Or he was paid not to. Let's find out and hopefully he is proved innocent and there was just a misunderstanding about what was required to save lives and keep people safe.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just a comment, not at you.

I am always surprised at the number of people who don't understand that pouring cold water on burns is one of the best things you can do. As much as possible for ad long as you can until real help arrives.

Bottles drinking water, any supply at all.

Try again, cold water causes more damage to the underlying tissue. Cool water is ok, but not cold water from the refrigerator, nor ice water

https://www.burnvictimsresource.org/does-ice-help-burns/

No, applying cold water or ice for burns is not helpful.

• Do not apply ice to a burn.
  • Do not apply an ice pack to a burn.
  • Do not pour ice water over a burn.
  • Do not submerge a burn wound in ice water.

Instead of ice and cold water, apply cool water to the burn. Many experts recommend running cool water over a minor burn for 15 to 30 minutes. Alternatively, you could apply a cool washcloth to the burn.

Carefully pat the skin dry with a clean cloth or sterile gauze and examine it for blisters. If blisters are present, it is a second-degree burn, not a first-degree burn. Patients with second-degree burns can apply a clean, loosely-wrapped bandage, not cotton balls or rags.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

comments like this just give the impression that any instigation will be haphazard and unthorough. Nobody will learn anything and fire precautions will remain unchanged.

Authorities may hide behind the fact that the venue held a licence to operate as a restaurant, not a nightclub, and was not liable to certain safety inspections. Do not be shocked if the title 'Admiral' appears on the license.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Authorities may hide behind the fact that the venue held a licence to operate as a restaurant, not a nightclub, and was not liable to certain safety inspections. Do not be shocked if the title 'Admiral' appears on the license.

If this is the case, nothing further will be done about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Try again, cold water causes more damage to the underlying tissue. Cool water is ok, but not cold water from the refrigerator, nor ice water

https://www.burnvictimsresource.org/does-ice-help-burns/

No, applying cold water or ice for burns is not helpful.

• Do not apply ice to a burn.
  • Do not apply an ice pack to a burn.
  • Do not pour ice water over a burn.
  • Do not submerge a burn wound in ice water.

Instead of ice and cold water, apply cool water to the burn. Many experts recommend running cool water over a minor burn for 15 to 30 minutes. Alternatively, you could apply a cool washcloth to the burn.

Carefully pat the skin dry with a clean cloth or sterile gauze and examine it for blisters. If blisters are present, it is a second-degree burn, not a first-degree burn. Patients with second-degree burns can apply a clean, loosely-wrapped bandage, not cotton balls or rags.

By the way do you know how insulting the phrase 'try again' is?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, transam said:

Dodgy wiring, inflammable insulation, no extinguishers....????

Health and safety inspections..............Wos dat................????

I betchha there were plenty of brown envelopes to commision the night club. People pay the price to line other peoples pockets. Sad day. 

• Like 1