Devastating fire at Sattahip nightclub claims 13 lives, 20+ injured - multiple explosions heard

webfact

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Where did I mention water from the fridge.

I got steam burned over my chest and arm and what we call cold water in uk  ie, not from the hot tap was used.

As a result it healed faster and scarring is minimal.

Thanks for the clarification, yet you stated Cold water, and I just added more so people understood it is not something one should do.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Longreach said:

a packet of screws and 1/2 hour work would be a lot better at holding down the roof than tires.

But it would not assist in deadening the noise that's reverberating off of the roof from the inside.  The tires act as a shock absorber.  Have you ever watched a steel wall that has sound waves hitting it and felt the wall from the opposite side.

• Like 2

I commented earlier: "... plus the gutless media here will be too scared of defamation laws to print names etc".

Watching TV news this evening (Nation Thai channel) and they listed all the dead as plain Mr / Ms (นาย/น.ศ.) . However there are various earlier online reports which identified some of the victims as military (NCOs - I've blocked out the names).

ทราบชื่อ 1.จ่าเอก xxxx xxxx อายุ 32 ปี 2.จ่าเอก xxx xxx อายุ 31 ปี 

Either initial reports were wrong or I suspect the wagons are being circled and it's been deemed unwise to mention military customers or ... 

The newsreader, sounding grave, said "someone has to take responsibility". Really? Ya think? 

My heart goes out to the victims and their families. What's the betting there'll be no insurance, or no more than some risible amount that won't cover any long-term care needs, or compensation. 

A couple of years back the illegal hi-so pub operation next to my condo in BKK had a kitchen fire. My tenant took photos of the flames shooting up to his third floor balcony. Could we do anything? Nope - the place has high-powered shareholders. Police not interested, district office not interested ... "no-one was hurt, were they?"

It's that thinking which allows this sort of s**t to rinse and repeat.  

• Like 2

Absolutely horrendous.

Most likely, poor safety standards, similar with Colectiv fire in Romania, which left 64 dead at a rock concert.

I think most of us agree, very few don't panic in such situations and, from what I see, when they got out they didn't realise the danger, thats why many were passive.I would not blame too much the ones who got out.

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

It was not licensed according to this:

Police discovered that the burnt pub which on Friday led to 13 deaths and around twenty injuries had no nightlife licence but was registered as a restaurant. Additional construction was also added without permission. Only two fire extinguishers were found inside the establishment which was almost completely burnt down.

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/pfbid034HLt8y4pJFPrWyPsfgXDyAWfksL8kihnLS5sXa5g7dXHJe3qENpif97RZGFHFvJzl

May be an image of 11 people, people standing and outdoors

The police only 'discovered' that it had no licence after the horrific fire.  What did they think ithe building was used for before the fire ..... a 7-11? ????

A bit or pro-active 'discovering' before the next fire would be useful.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

The police only 'discovered' that it had no licence after the horrific fire.  What did they think ithe building was used for before the fire ..... a 7-11? ????

A bit or pro-active 'discovering' before the next fire would be useful.

Then again, when the Police begin raiding places and closing them down , many people would complain about that as well 

15 hours ago, dhupverg said:

Wasn't it the same situation in Phuket with that big club fire and the insulating foam which is highly flammable?

Yes. I remember reading about that fire. I had been in that nightclub several times before the fire. Always wall to wall crowds. Could hardly move. According to the information at the time, a temporary lighting fixture blew up and caught the foam "animals" surrounding the stage on fire. The owners of the nightclub blamed it on a blown transformer just outside the venue on Bangle Road which was quickly disproven. The "Phuket Gazette" posted photos of the charred bodies but were soon taken down. The rumor was that the faulty light fixture is currently at the bottom of the Andaman sea. "Land of cover your ass, not smiles." 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

A waste of live! Perhaps someone could explain what could possibly cause a big enough explosion that would cause instant death (as reported)?

Foam burns instantly and gives off toxic fumes. Exit doors possibly blocked/locked. Common in nightclubs that charge an entrance fee so that the party people don't let their friends in through the fire exit and avoid the cover charge. 

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Having worked in the insulation industry for 30 years in Thailand, I can just tell you that these places are just disasters waiting to happen.

Due to libel laws here I need to be careful what I say, but it is known known fact that the petrochemical product in question is very flammable which is why 40% by volume  fire retardant is added making it non flammable at point of sale  if the correct amount has been added. It is also the most expensive so often "corners are skipped."

This product is not designed to be installed whenever left exposed to moving air.

It was originally intended for sandwhich walls for coolrooms/freezers where it works very well.

Over time when exposed  the fire retardant sublimates leaving a highly flammable product in situ.

When burning it also emits very toxic chemical smoke, which when inhaled literally stops you breathing   (Tiger Bar Patong, 2 customers drinking not 3 metres from the exit did not make it)

New Years Eve nightclub fire in Thonglorfor example saw over 20 unlucky patrons with not even a burn mark, just smoke inhalation poisoning.

Similar product involved in the terrible apartment fire just out out of London (Granville ?

If I have told the upper echalon involved in approving this material once, I have told them 100 times. Vested interests take preference to life obviously.

In closing may I say that I know of many places where this threat to human life exists including a very large shopping centre with over 6,000 M2 of this highly flammable product lurking for a

fateful day, & how do I know ? , I tore a very small piece off the wall & lit it in the carpark to convince the consultants.

Even although they saw black smoke emitted & coughed for hours to the best of my knowledge it is still there

Due to the renovations that have been done to this shopping centre there would be no escape for most folks 

Jungeceylon? 

As a chemist, not pharmacist, I agree with everything that you said about the properties of this foam when burned. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

That was your only take away from the Khaosad English report

A fire at a music pub in eastern Thailand kills at least 13 | Georgia  Public Broadcasting

It was a comment on inaccurate reporting. Post fire photographs show the interior gutted but, externally, the structure is standing with the roof surface burned especially the tyres that had been added.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks for the clarification, yet you stated Cold water, and I just added more so people understood it is not something one should do.

In the UK water from the fridge is known as refrigerated water. Water from the tap is known as cold water also drinkable throughout the UK but is at ambient temperature

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So many similarities to the Nightclub fire in the US.  No one ever learns from the past, but many continue to use the same insulation and set-up to this day.

A legacy from the past. I wonder if new insulation has been developed but not remedially fitted to older establishments.

The Ghost Ship venue fire Dec. 2, 2016 where 36 died here in Oakland (where I am at the moment) not only killed all those people wrongfully but incidentally changed the culture of thousands of people here in ways great and small. Wikipedia has a detailed entry on it.

• Like 1

"the people who were injured would get 4,000 baht, those who were disabled by the fire would get at 13,300 baht, and the families of the dead people would get 29,700 baht"

Amazing how little injury, disability and life are worth here in Thailand.

It was reported that the club was reported to be operating without a license back in June (operating after hours).  Apparently the police knew all about this place and it not having a license ... 

Edited by HaoleBoy

4 hours ago, RobU said:

In the UK water from the fridge is known as refrigerated water. Water from the tap is known as cold water also drinkable throughout the UK but is at ambient temperature

Usually comes out of the tap at around 8 degrees, average. Ref pouring what I call cold water on a burn, if all that is available is colder than tap water I don't think sitting around waiting for the water to warm a couple of degrees while you or someone is burning is a very good idea.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xonax said:

The video this article links to is Horrifying!

Not sure I want to thank you for that..... saw part of it on a Thai TV channel last night. Just incredulous that people are burning and others don't rush forward to help, some even turn and run away. And a woman walking slowly forward as she has multiple fires on her body......

I do hope heads roll over this....

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

And then there are the sick people recording everything on their phones instead of trying to help those in need.

Sad.

RIP

The prevalence of voyeuristic recording of such tragedies instead of prompt action by bystanders seems to be 'normalised' around the world today. You see exceptions to this of course but they do seem few and far between these days.

I've seen people standing on the road watching people die trapped in cars - some on fire, people drowning, men beating women, and grown strong men doing nothing except recording.

Such an horrific and sad thing. I haven't gone into a Thai (or any other country) dance/night club since Tiger in Bangla years ago. I miss not going sometimes then I think of how there is zero hope if caught in a crowded club and a severe fire breaks out. 

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1