Devastating fire at Sattahip nightclub claims 13 lives, 20+ injured - multiple explosions heard

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

it is believed to have been caused by a short circuit

A short circuit does not have to be a reason for a fire. It's only possible to have a fire if there is lots of flammable material. And there should be much flammable material in venues like that.

So maybe the cause of the fire is an inspector who didn't do his job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah yes the Tiger Club fire on Bangla, yes I forgot about that one.  In this one apparently the rear door was also locked according to this mornings Channel 32 news, which is a big issue as there was only one way in and out.

That club had polystyrene mouldings of Tigers etc all over the walls and pillars that caught fire.

• Like 2

I got something else to say that pisses me off. 

If you watch the vid I mentioned people ate literally running out on fire Laying on the ground on fire and no one is helping them. 

There are many people filming and walking around while people on fire and burning. 

The Thais in the comments seem upset about this too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrischronic said:

If you watch the vid I mentioned people ate literally running out on fire Laying on the ground on fire and no one is helping them. 

There are many people filming and walking around while people on fire and burning. 

Yes, not helping others though managing to save a bottle of wine, absolutely sickening. ????

• Like 2

Local media reporting that another person has died as a result of the fire last night at Mountain B pub bringing the total to 14 people dead.

Initial reports said 8 people are suffering from severe burns and smoke inhalation.

Source

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath said that tackling the fire was complicated as it was fueled by sound absorbing insulation foam.

I just wonder whether the sound insulation was to stop people outside hearing the noise from inside , considering that there are closing time curfews 

• Like 2

I gave myself a nasty burn while cooking a few months ago, and well remember how painful it was and how long it took to heal up properly (it still hasn't really, as the skin that was there has been replaced with scar tissue). My heart goes out to the dead, but also to the poor people leaving the club and who were actually on fire, my Buddha but they will need some help after that. Horrifying, the newspaper-that-must-not-be-quoted had a video of the scene earlier this morning, I don't know if it's still there and, of course, I can't link to it.

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I just wonder whether the sound insulation was to stop people outside hearing the noise from inside , considering that there are closing time curfews 

Probably a valid observation.

• Like 1

Suggest ALL nightclubs/discos and the like are immediately shut countrywide, pending an immediate full inspection for safety standards. Only permit re-opening when all is safe.............AND licences are held by those who operate them.

I doubt many ouldl be allowed to re-open without significant alterations being carried out.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, chrischronic said:

Isn't there a fear of helping others in those situations and then maybe getting blamed for making things worse?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Suggest ALL nightclubs/discos and the like are immediately shut countrywide, pending an immediate full inspection for safety standards. Only permit re-opening when all is safe.............AND licences are held by those who operate them.

I doubt many ouldl be allowed to re-open without significant alterations being carried out.

Yes, that's exactly what the PM should have done--immediate closure until a full inspection is done.  Just ordering an investigation is far too weak and slow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

No cause for the fire has yet been established but it is believed to have been caused by a short circuit in the ceiling area. 

comments like this just give the impression that any instigation will be haphazard and unthorough. Nobody will learn anything and fire precautions will remain unchanged.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Isn't there a fear of helping others in those situations and then maybe getting blamed for making things worse?

I'm not so sure about  fear of helping here in Thailand because ive seen many accidents and also a shooting. In these situations Ive seen Thais helping immediately.

Maybe my judgment is to harsh about this fire. It would be hard to help without getting burned and without a source of water.

The fear, adrenaline , explosions , raging fire, flight response , etc., everyone acts differently in these situations. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gaccha said:

You had the same thoughts as me.

By running they are providing more oxygen to the flames. The sense of panic makes it so difficult in the moment.

Within 150 metres of my place, there have been 3 large fires within the last 18 months, all with more than 10+ fire vehicles responding; one was an elementary school.

With such constant danger of fire because of such low standards and such slow response times of fire services, Thais must be all trained to stop, drop and roll. And heads must roll with reckless manslaughter charges.

and swim as well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

A short video here on twitter clearly shows security guards in their uniforms activity running away from people on fire. Disgusting

https://twitter.com/sabudlo/status/1555350687071891456

Yeah the guy burning in his underwear just walks through the middle and no one helps. 

I see a lot of running back and forth not knowing what to do. 

There is one Hero running back to help pulling off his shirt in his underwear. 

There was too many people on fire. 

The only thing they could have done is take off Their clothes and try and smother flames. 

Is Stop drop and roll taught in Thailand?

More training and fire safety for all clubs.

Terrible situation. 

• Like 2

Just now, PEE TEE said:

That is Terrible Rip to those who perished . heart goes out to their loved ones. hope the survivors get back to normal  

Imagine how horrible that must be for relatives of those seen on fire outside who subsequently die(d) from their injuries. Very sad indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dhupverg said:

Wasn't it the same situation in Phuket with that big club fire and the insulating foam which is highly flammable?

The same in Bangkok. They just keep making the same mistakes. Ignorance and greed.????

• Like 1