Kawazaki 650R 2009 91 or 95 gssohol

4 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Theoretically, having a little more octane you should do an extra path in practice there is no substantial difference also the engines are now more suitable for lower otane.

Do an extra path? What does that mean? So it will be fine to use 91? No difference in performance? My 650R is from 2009.

6 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Okay. I'm noticing a fair bit of 'knocking" especially when downshifting. Is this normal or is it due to me using 95? Will I notice any performance loss by using 91?

Get your fuel sensor check buddy nothing big problem. 

41 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Do an extra path? What does that mean? So it will be fine to use 91? No difference in performance? My 650R is from 2009.

The price is almost the same because it is thought that 95 is better, in my opinion it is more suitable for engines over 20 years old.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Okay. I'm noticing a fair bit of 'knocking" especially when downshifting. Is this normal or is it due to me using 95? Will I notice any performance loss by using 91?

How do you know this is knocking? I have a feeling you are confusing it with popping which is just unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust, not an issue. Knocking would be if the fuel prematurely ignites inside the engine. Using 95 octane would make it *less* prone to knocking because octane specifies how resistant the fuel is to ignition due to heat and pressure inside the cylinder.

To answer your original question: just look at the user manual. Seriously, it will tell you in clear terms. You can find them online too. My guess? 91 would be fine. No, you would not notice any performance loss.

1 minute ago, BE88 said:

The price is almost the same because it is thought that 95 is better, in my opinion it is more suitable for engines over 20 years old.

91 vs 95 octane has nothing to do with engine age. You might be confusing it with gasohol vs benzene - older engines might not be built to be able to handle the ethanol in gasohol. But in that case it doesn't matter if it's 91 or 95 gasohol. Also why are you posting all of your stuff in bold?

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

91 vs 95 octane has nothing to do with engine age. You might be confusing it with gasohol vs benzene - older engines might not be built to be able to handle the ethanol in gasohol. But in that case it doesn't matter if it's 91 or 95 gasohol. Also why are you posting all of your stuff in bold?

For 91 or 95 you gave yourself the answer. For bold fonts and because you read me better without glasses, how sensitive you are .....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kawazaki650R said:

but considering that 91 is a bit cheaper

0.14 Baht, 0.7%

Why bother? Is it a 15l tank? Difference per filling about 2 Baht!

Aside from that the 91 was planned to abolish years ago.

No idea why they still drag it along.

Waste of infrastructure/logistics.

Some PTT stations have about 10 different fuel types. Crazy.

In most if not all European countries gone for more than a decade.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

How do you know this is knocking? I have a feeling you are confusing it with popping which is just unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust, not an issue. Knocking would be if the fuel prematurely ignites inside the engine. Using 95 octane would make it *less* prone to knocking because octane specifies how resistant the fuel is to ignition due to heat and pressure inside the cylinder.

To answer your original question: just look at the user manual. Seriously, it will tell you in clear terms. You can find them online too. My guess? 91 would be fine. No, you would not notice any performance loss.

Well if it's popping that's usually a running lean sign which it not good in the long run.

He should get a computer fuel anaylsis hook up at a kwasaki dealer 200 baht and not much more if the fuel sensor has to be replaced.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

0.14 Baht, 0.7%

Why bother?

Aside from that the 91 was planned to abolish years ago.

No idea why they still drag it along.

Waste of infrastructure/logistics.

Some PTT stations have about 10 different fuel types. Crazy.

In most if not all European countries gone for more than a decade.

That's not his problem he can use either it sounds like he has a fuel Ecu problem so a computer plug in hook up will be the best course of action. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BE88 said:

For 91 or 95 you gave yourself the answer. For bold fonts and because you read me better without glasses, how sensitive you are .....

No idea what you are talking about. I recommend you stop ingesting whatever it is ????

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well if it's popping that's usually a running lean sign which it not good in the long run.

He should get a computer fuel anaylsis hook up at a kwasaki dealer 200 baht and not much more if the fuel sensor has to be replaced.

Yea most of the time it's due to lean mixture but could also be rich. Or it could operate just as normal, all of my big bikes pop on deceleration and they are just fine. Some manufacturers explicitly design engines to pop, BMW even injects fuel into the exhaust to generate pop and it can be controlled via settings. If the OPs bike pops on deceleration (shifting down) and not excessively so then I think there's no need for worry. He should ask about it though during next service. OP: you could post a video here if you are unsure about the sounds.

16 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

No idea what you are talking about. I recommend you stop ingesting whatever it is ????

Yea most of the time it's due to lean mixture but could also be rich. Or it could operate just as normal, all of my big bikes pop on deceleration and they are just fine. Some manufacturers explicitly design engines to pop, BMW even injects fuel into the exhaust to generate pop and it can be controlled via settings. If the OPs bike pops on deceleration (shifting down) and not excessively so then I think there's no need for worry. He should ask about it though during next service. OP: you could post a video here if you are unsure about the sounds.

Its Kawasaki 650 twin they don't pop and bang apart from being a big engine.

My advice is OP should get the digital CDI unit analysis carried by a Kawasaki dealership.

Do you know if the bike have original set up? No aftermarket exhaust? chip? 

91 or 95 should not give any noticable difference normal set up, and normal driving.

I'm impressed I'f anyone here manage to give a diagnosis based on a video and sound ????

• Like 1

If your first economic question remains to be resolved, I would recommend that you test with the 91 with the tank filled and a second test with the 95 and see the difference in the route and if it is economically convenient for you the 95 with the price difference of 0, 7% as KhunBENQ wrote.

In fact, it no longer makes sense to have these two different types of gasoline.

9 hours ago, Hummin said:

I'm impressed I'f anyone here manage to give a diagnosis based on a video and sound ????

No need to impress as you say no bike to look at or hear hence take it to a kwaka dealer,  not a big expense to get it checked out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BE88 said:

If your first economic question remains to be resolved, I would recommend that you test with the 91 with the tank filled and a second test with the 95 and see the difference in the route and if it is economically convenient for you the 95 with the price difference of 0, 7% as KhunBENQ wrote.

In fact, it no longer makes sense to have these two different types of gasoline.

The digital CDI adjusts to fuel used the backfire is nothing to do with whether it's 91 or 95.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Yes it's usually when deaccelerating. But I'll keep an eye on it next time I drive. Last time I checked there was a big price difference between 91 and 95 but I haven't really given it s thought much lately so maybe there isn't a big difference now. I was mostly curious if the bike will run fine with both because people keep telling me different stuff. And I did download the manual for the bike. 

4 hours ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Last time I checked there was a big price difference between 91 and 95 but I haven't really given it s thought much lately so maybe there isn't a big difference now.

You probably looked at regular 91 gasohol and some 95 premium fuel. I think the price difference between 91 and 95 regular gasohol has never been more than 20 Satang.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

You probably looked at regular 91 gasohol and some 95 premium fuel. I think the price difference between 91 and 95 regular gasohol has never been more than 20 Satang.

This is probably it. There are all kinds of fuels with 95 octane out there.

95 regular gasohol

95 premium gasohol with additives

95 benzene

... and they differ between gasoline station brands and even within the same brand but different stations. Usually that's not the case for 91, that's just regular gasohol.

OP mentioned he downloaded the manual so I guess now he knows for sure if the bike is fine with 91.

Kwasaki mentioned that engine usually doesn't pop so I guess the last question is if the bike has an aftermarket exhaust. That could also easily be a cause.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

95 regular gasohol

95 benzene

... and they differ between gasoline station brands and even within the same brand but different stations. Usually that's not the case for 91, that's just regular gasohol.

OP mentioned he downloaded the manual so I guess now he knows for sure if the bike is fine with 91.

Kwasaki mentioned that engine usually doesn't pop so I guess the last question is if the bike has an aftermarket exhaust. That could also easily be a cause.

Fair call. ????

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

95 regular gasohol

95 benzene

It's the stock exhaust but it pops fairly frequently when coming off the throttle. Both when going hard and and when you roll off the throttle in general. My first bike so I'm not sure if it's normal or not but I don't seem to hear it with other people's bike driving by. 

• Sad 1

On 8/8/2022 at 2:20 PM, Kwasaki said:

When I had my Versys 650 from memory at Kawasaki workshop 200 baht. 

They had lunch when I went there. Will go earlier tmrw. But mine pops really often. As soon as I roll off the gas it basically pops. I do think the previous owner did drill the exhaust not sure if that affects popping and afterburn though?