What are your health rules you live by?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

All the data says people who are vegetarian, or exercise regularly, live longer. Whether they are sportsmen, or not.

My dad turns 96 next week, and has never been vegetarian or exercised. He takes 2 medications, 1 for his cholesterol and I think one for blood pressure.

I have a good friend who is a doctor, and last time he visited him he said he couldn't believe his eyes, as most people of my dad's age have a cabinet full of medications.

My dad is in an elderly home now, because my mom died last year at the age of 92, and at his age he shouldn't be alone at home.

I can tell you now, however my dad is obviously very healthy, I never want to end up like him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't like the idea of those starvation diets or fat\protein diets, not natural to do that body doesn't like it long term.

We still have bodies from the Paleolithic Age, when we were hunter-gatherers. It's only when mankind settled down to harvesting crops such as grains that we went onto a high-carb diet. If anything, a high carb diet is less natural.

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If I eat meat every day and die with 70 or be vegetarian and die 10 years later, I know what I eat. Meat!

upset-disgusted-latin-kid-sitting-table-

maxresdefault.jpg

Meat is murder, if you eat dead animals you do not 'love' them ????

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

My dad turns 96 next week, and has never been vegetarian or exercised. He takes 2 medications, 1 for his cholesterol and I think one for blood pressure.

I have a good friend who is a doctor, and last time he visited him he said he couldn't believe his eyes, as most people of my dad's age have a cabinet full of medications.

My dad is in an elderly home now, because my mom died last year at the age of 92, and at his age he shouldn't be alone at home.

I can tell you now, however my dad is obviously very healthy, I never want to end up like him.

In other words, it is very likely you will live as long as your parents, unless you get hit by a bus. You probably won in the genetic lottery.

Six years ago, my total daily kidney load from medications was 675 mg. Now it is 3 mg.

As 53% of the elderly die of acute kidney failure, it's like tossing a coin.

Both my parents died at age 83, after a lifetime of cigarettes and alcohol.

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Meat is murder, if you eat dead animals you do not 'love' them ????

Is it also murder if you kill insects? And how about eating those living plants?

And about eating dead animals. I think that is a lot better than the alternative, eating living animals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it also murder if you kill insects? And how about eating those living plants?

And about eating dead animals. I think that is a lot better than the alternative, eating living animals.

If we didn't eat animals they wouldn't have a life in the first place.

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If I eat meat every day and die with 70 or be vegetarian and die 10 years later, I know what I eat. Meat!

upset-disgusted-latin-kid-sitting-table-

maxresdefault.jpg

I never said I don't eat meat. I do, as much as I want.

Low carb diets are about getting rid of excess sugar in one's body, and teaching the body to metabolize fat instead as the source of energy.

It should be blindingly obvious if one's body is not metabolizing fat, it has to go somewhere. It does, straight onto the bathroom scales.

The only form of sugar mankind had for millennia was in fruit ( fructose ), and honey. Lactose in dairy. Now, sucrose is in damn near everything that comes in a package.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I drink beer (in moderation) every day. I smoke or ingest weed every day. I eat home cooked Thai food most days (apart from the occasional fry-up, never eat McDonalds <deleted>). I don't exercise as such but stay reasonably active. Just had my annual check-up at the new clinic at Vachira (ECG, Chest X-Ray, ALL blood and urine tests (PSA, cholesterol, blood sugar etc.). Results ALL GOOD! I'm 78 years old and stress free. I sincerely believe that ingesting high THC cannabis occasionally is very good for ones body, getting high is a bonus! ????

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

We still have bodies from the Paleolithic Age, when we were hunter-gatherers. It's only when mankind settled down to harvesting crops such as grains that we went onto a high-carb diet. If anything, a high carb diet is less natural.

Didn't potatoes get to the west in the 1600s? can survive healthily just on potatoes in fact would lose weight if just eat potatoes same rice diet. Those inuits who solely eat fat and meat are very unhealthy

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Didn't potatoes get to the west in the 1600s? can survive healthily just on potatoes in fact would lose weight if just eat potatoes same rice diet. Those inuits who solely eat fat and meat are very unhealthy

One of my rules with vegetables is if it grows below ground, it's bad for me. if it's above ground, it's good for me, with the exception of grains and corn.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

One of my rules with vegetables is if it grows below ground, it's bad for me. if it's above ground, it's good for me, with the exception of grains and corn.

yeah you seem to be seeing things ar*se about face, I don't know why. Like i said before nutrition is like a religion,hard to change people minds

• Like 1

I eat healthy foods that I like and limit my intake of red meats. My wife is an amazing cook and she makes me something different every day, always healthy. In 2020, when I moved to Thailand from the US and I weighed 376 lbs - I now weigh 260. I lost the weight by walking and leaving behind my office job where I sat on my a** all day. Today, in Spain, I average walking 8 miles per day (retirement affords me the time to do so) and I'm eating one meal per day. The one meal per day has gotten me back on track with my weight loss, as my target weight is 195 lbs. I drink all the beer I want - I'm not EVER giving that up, though I may reduce it a bit. I feel happier and healthier now, even at 260 lbs, than I did when I played sports back in the day and my blood pressure is steadily optimal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

All the data says people who are vegetarian, or exercise regularly, live longer.

Well if if you don't it will certainly seem so.

I do what I like, I don't have rules as I know I will break them. We all die someday, so might as well enjoy the time I have. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

yeah you seem to be seeing things ar*se about face, I don't know why. Like i said before nutrition is like a religion,hard to change people minds

It's working for me at age 79, goodbye.

24 minutes ago, DBath said:

I eat healthy foods that I like and limit my intake of red meats. My wife is an amazing cook and she makes me something different every day, always healthy. In 2020, when I moved to Thailand from the US and I weighed 376 lbs - I now weigh 260. I lost the weight by walking and leaving behind my office job where I sat on my a** all day. Today, in Spain, I average walking 8 miles per day (retirement affords me the time to do so) and I'm eating one meal per day. The one meal per day has gotten me back on track with my weight loss, as my target weight is 195 lbs. I drink all the beer I want - I'm not EVER giving that up, though I may reduce it a bit. I feel happier and healthier now, even at 260 lbs, than I did when I played sports back in the day and my blood pressure is steadily optimal.

You've done very well, how did you get that big originally? seriously over eating junk?

18 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Well if if you don't it will certainly seem so.

I do what I like, I don't have rules as I know I will break them. We all die someday, so might as well enjoy the time I have. 

Doing what you like sometimes comes with a hefty bill, that only gets presented later in life. Smokers die an agonizing death from lung cancer or emphysema, alcoholics end up defecating blood as the liver breaks down, obese people graduate to Type 2 diabetes, heart attacks and strokes.

I prefer quality of life, but as the girls say, up to you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I do what makes me happy.

I am too lazy to exercise, and I like good food. And from time to time a couple of drinks.

I think it's always funny to see people who don't eat certain things because they are not good for their health - and then the people are moaning or at least unhappy about that. Just eat it!

We will all die. I prefer to die happy and maybe a few years earlier and not old and healthy and miserable. 

What I don't eat, mostly because I don't like it, is fast food, food with lots of MSG in it, ready meals or any of that.

Enjoy life, and don't think too much.

Sheraton+Grande+Sukhumvit+Sunday+Jazzy+B

Fair enough.

BUT....

What about dying 20 years early?

What about dying at 60?

What about living with a disability after having a stroke?

What about having foot amputations or going blind from diabetes?

What about walking around with a <deleted> bag cos you lost all your intestines to cancer?

There are other options than just dying a few years earlier.

You know you might not just glide off gracefully into the clouds with a beer in one hand, a joint hanging out your mouth, and a raunchy Thai woman between your legs.

Edited by 2009
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The usual spurious argument, insects and plants are not fellow mammals with a central nervous system are they, why not eat people if you are going to eat cows and sheep?

Edited by proton
  • Sad 1